Torn - subtitled and a bit of faux pas signing

It wouldn't be funny since it's all about visual sight gag. Look at the gesture for "man". And the gesture for "real" as in "reeling in a line on a fishing pole" he did, and so on. ASL wouldn't be funny to a hearing audience.

And THAT is the GAG... probably mislabeled and all that... what do you expect from hearing people who originally posted the video. Even the artist who is a comedian (there's your first clue) ...

It's a joke and so should be taken that way.

I thought it was great and loved it... the original was pretty good but this time with the actual singer pantomiming along with the comedian was pretty good.

Don't take stuff like this too seriously... we're too damned PC in this world already. Lighten up!!

Too seriously? I posted it since it was a funny video. Nothing serious about it. I certainly wasn't the one who took the act as if the guy was signing. He wasn't. He was doing the interpretative mime act. And a clever one at that, too. I simply disagreed that ASL would be better for a hearing audience in this kind of comedy act. It would fall flat simply because the hearing audience wouldn't understand the joke.

Someone's spinning again.

How you think people are suppose to react when they see "Deaf Karaoke" and "faux pas signing"?

Too seriously? I posted it since it was a funny video. Nothing serious about it. I certainly wasn't the one who took the act as if the guy was signing. He wasn't. He was doing the interpretative mime act. And a clever one at that, too. I simply disagreed that ASL would be better for a hearing audience in this kind of comedy act. It would fall flat simply because the hearing audience wouldn't understand the joke.

nobody said this should have been done in ASL but you should have considered our point of view and the audience. It's as tasteless as Heather McDonald making fun of Marlee Matlin at Chelsea Lately show. Chance is - you probably find it funny. Recall I threw in insidious sexual joke about Palin and couple of people and feminists didn't find it funny especially Palin supporters? Same thing.

I find it funny that you're trying to lecture to us about ASL when you don't even sign.

Chill out, K-Nut. Deafcarver is on your side.

No. But I realized I wasn't as clear in who I was directing my comment to in the context I wanted to. Again, it was an affirmation to DC's and I was responding in agreement.

2i774ac.jpg

*it's a pix of snapshot of AD quote to show kokonut how to use QUOTE button when replying to others

Hmmmm. The name "Deaf Karaoke" is lame. Whether a hearing person would find the humor funny or not would depend a lot on how the hearing person feels about the basic concept which is "I can get away with miming and gesturing things that would get me tossed out of here for obscenity if I said them."

I find parts of it funny but the humor is never more than one step above potty humor. It never approaches the subtly of Keith Wann's humor.

One thing I find of interest is that parts of the skit does follow one axiom of translating English to ASL: Keep to the meaning, not the words. The song itself is not funny and some of the miming lays bare its more vulgar meanings. Why this is funny to many I am not sure.

Fact: I have shown some of Keith Wann's videos to hearing people who have no knowledge of ASL -- And most of them find him hilarious and encourages them to at least think about learning a few signs.

I am wondering that, too (in response to the joker pix). After all, it's just a video of a comedian doing some clever mime-ing act. Not some ASL comedy skit.

I am wondering that, too (in response to the joker pix). After all, it's just a video of a comedian doing some clever mime-ing act. Not some ASL comedy skit.

so do you find this funny or not?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOrWPKEkZjU]YouTube - Heather McDonald imitation of the L word[/ame]

Hmmmm. The name "Deaf Karaoke" is lame. Whether a hearing person would find the humor funny or not would depend a lot on how the hearing person feels about the basic concept which is "I can get away with miming and gesturing things that would get me tossed out of here for obscenity if I said them."

I find parts of it funny but the humor is never more than one step above potty humor. It never approaches the subtly of Keith Wann's humor.

One thing I find of interest is that parts of the skit does follow one axiom of translating English to ASL: Keep to the meaning, not the words. The song itself is not funny and some of the miming lays bare its more vulgar meanings. Why this is funny to many I am not sure.

Fact: I have shown some of Keith Wann's videos to hearing people who have no knowledge of ASL -- And most of them find him hilarious and encourages them to at least think about learning a few signs.

:gpost:

Back