Torn - subtitled and a bit of faux pas signing

I think people who have a strong "hearing" point of view are incapable of seeing it our way and truly sympathize.

There are those who do understand but see matters in a different point of view. Just as there are Deaf people who were deeply offended of Marlee Matlin's indifference about her comedy sketch that made fun of how deaf people speak and sing, and later told everybody to "lighten up." I suppose she has a strong "hearing" point of view and are incapable of seeing it YOUR way and truly sympathize?

There are those who do understand but see matters in a different point of view. Just as there are Deaf people who were deeply offended of Marlee Matlin's indifference about her comedy sketch that made fun of how deaf people speak and sing, and later told everybody to "lighten up." I suppose she has a strong "hearing" point of view and are incapable of seeing it YOUR way and truly sympathize?

I wasnt referring to Matlin.

Marlee Matlin has a professional point of view, and if I understand her POV correctly she is able to do a separation that most people are incapable of... She does not see someone making fun of her voice as making fun of her.

In order to take this leap she has to see herself as a whole person with many parts, some of which are funny, or funny to some, or funny at times.

As someone who enjoys being a clown I can appreciate this view of oneself. In fact I admire it.

Does not mean that I believe everyone should or can adopt this view.

I also recall a man I knew who did not see the humor in the things he did and said: All he knew was that they made others laugh and that made him feel good so he continued to do them.

I also know that comedy routines get boring after you have done them enough. I suspect Rodney Dangerfield might be sick of the line "I get no respect" but as long as audiences keep laughing and keep paying him to say it he will.

To me this guy is just somebody who found a market for his routine and now he has a job.

Kokonut says he is promoting the ability to see and understand things from different points of view, other than our own. Under normal circumstances I would say this is laudable and one I myself espouse: But seeing and understanding does not mean embracing. People here may see and understand the audist point of view, but few if any, Deaf/deaf or hearing, are going to embrace it.

And this is what I believe Kokonut's objective is; to have people here accept audism as a belief system equal to Deaf Culture.

Marlee Matlin has a professional point of view, and if I understand her POV correctly she is able to do a separation that most people are incapable of... She does not see someone making fun of her voice as making fun of her.

In order to take this leap she has to see herself as a whole person with many parts, some of which are funny, or funny to some, or funny at times.

As someone who enjoys being a clown I can appreciate this view of oneself. In fact I admire it.

I also recall a man I knew who did not see the humor in the things he did and said: All he knew was that they made others laugh and that made him feel good so he continued to do them.

I also know that comedy routines get boring after you have done them enough. I suspect Rodney Dangerfield might be sick of the line "I get no respect" but as long as audiences keep laughing and keep paying him to say it he will.

To me this guy is just somebody who found a market for his routine and now he has a job.

Kokonut says he is promoting the ability to see and understand things from different points of view, other than our own. Under normal circumstances I would say this is laudable and one I myself espouse: But seeing and understanding does not mean embracing. People here may see and understand the audist point of view, but few if any, Deaf/deaf or hearing, are going to embrace it.

And this is what I believe Kokonut's objective is; to have people here accept audism as a belief system equal to Deaf Culture.

I wont ever embrace the audist views he holds.

Is it just me or are you reaching here?

Nice bit of hyperbole on the hyperventilating emotion there.

"faux pas" - a slip or blunder in etiquette, manners, or conduct; an embarrassing social blunder or indiscretion.

Perhaps it should have been "faux pas signing" in quotes instead? But really, a bunch of gnashing of the teeth over those words? Isn't that a wee bit of nonsense to be that "deeply," "deeply" offended?

I know what "faux pas" is. By wording it like that, what you did is elevate a mime act to something akin to a blackface theatre.

Why do you see everything in black and white?

I know what "faux pas" is. By wording it like that, what you did is elevate a mime act to something akin to a blackface theatre.

Why do you see everything in black and white?

Saying "faux pas signing" does not elevate it to a "blackface theater" status. Nice little bit of strawman attempt. There is no equivalency there between the two. Nor are they remotely connected.

Are you done hyperventilating now?

I would like to think so but then again...

My mother once told a preacher, "I find it hard to believe a just god would allow only one right answer to be the key to everyone's eternal happiness."

The preacher replied, "That is because you are closed minded. If you were open minded you would believe exactly as I do."

My mother once told a preacher, "I find it hard to believe a just god would allow only one right answer to be the key to everyone's eternal happiness."

The preacher replied, "That is because you are closed minded. If you were open minded you would believe exactly as I do."

Is it "god" or "God"?

Back