Torn - subtitled and a bit of faux pas signing

Not the actor, he's miming/gesturing. He's not trying to be like a deaf person but more like a hearing person who cannot speak and he's miming/gesturing his way through a song. This English comedian didn't coin the words "Deaf Karoke" in the YouTube.

Here's a better vid of torn with the subtitles following better with the words and song.
YouTube - Torn by Johann Lippowitz with Natalie Imbruglia

I have always loved miming so if he didnt coin the term, then someone obviously thought it was sign language?

No. You're missing the point. It's the sight gag, the gestures and miming he's doing make it funny. His "sign" for man isn't the ASL man but "signs" it describing a penis. Things like that. It's a visual sight gag that makes all so funny. He does alot of facial expressions, body language, movement, gesturing, "fake talking" and so on.

No, I do understand that it is the visual gag that is funny. I totally understand it. Miming is pretty funny, like Marcel Marceau and others. I get it Koko :) but what I'm trying to tell YOU is that picture him doing something like Weird Al in sign. Tell me that would not be funny. Keith Wann does "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" in ASL. It's very funny! I'm not saying to do this specific song I'm talking about other songs. I'm not attacking you so calm down :)

Thing is...

I known hearing people that actually think it is sign language, not mining.

Yeah, so? His work is based on gesturing and sight gags to make it an entertaining show. I listen to the song with the subtitles and his action together, to me it's funny.

I guess maybe two ways of looking at it. One of my friends beats it into me to not take things personally because typically, it isn't so I try to see the best side of things.
One way to take it is, maybe he's poking fun or attempting to be like Deaf people.
The other way is he's poking fun of himself and having no knowledge of sign so he uses some gestures and ends up making himself the laugh. I prefer to think of it that way, that he's being silly. I hope that made sense? :dunno:

You got a good point there. I guess the title "Deaf Karokee" really ruined it for me..got me in a state of mind in which I wouldnt be able to see it from another point of view.

When he do the miming, I don't see anything funny about him using gestures of what he sign while the woman is singing and then later she sign while singing. That is not the Deaf Culture way when the Deaf person who used ASL and mimed at the same time to tell a story of how funny the situation is or are. I knew a lot of Deaf comedians and I laughed with tears rolling down my face, but with Deaf Koraoke which is thumb down as I am not laughing at all. Sorry to damper your spirit, but that is the truth. :roll:

You got a good point there. I guess the title "Deaf Karokee" really ruined it for me..got me in a state of mind in which I wouldnt be able to see it from another point of view.

Yea I think that was someone's misinterpretation of what to call their video. And on Youtube, it would maybe stand out better from having the same title as someone else or maybe they were just wanting more hits on their video by trying to get another group of people interested.

No, I do understand that it is the visual gag that is funny. I totally understand it. Miming is pretty funny, like Marcel Marceau and others. I get it Koko :) but what I'm trying to tell YOU is that picture him doing something like Weird Al in sign. Tell me that would not be funny. Keith Wann does "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" in ASL. It's very funny! I'm not saying to do this specific song I'm talking about other songs. I'm not attacking you so calm down :)

There is no comparison. There is a difference between a Deaf audience who do understand ASL versus a hearing audience who wouldn't but can understand a lot easier with his miming tricks and gesturing by David Armand.

Dittos.

When he do the miming, I don't see anything funny about him using gestures of what he sign while the woman is singing and then later she sign while singing. That is not the Deaf Culture way when the Deaf person who used ASL and mimed at the same time to tell a story of how funny the situation is or are. I knew a lot of Deaf comedians and I laughed with tears rolling down my face, but with Deaf Koraoke which is thumb down as I am not laughing at all. Sorry to damper your spirit, but that is the truth. :roll:

That's fine. I still see it funny as a sight gag that go along with the words of a song. I think he's pretty clever in bringing up the various gestures or "signs," loosely speaking of course.

Thing is...

I known hearing people that actually think it is sign language, not mining.

Yeah, so? His work is based on gesturing and sight gags to make it an entertaining show. I listen to the song with the subtitles and his action together, to me it's funny.

Because those posted videos were labelled as "deaf karaoke," like in your original post.

There is no comparison. There is a difference between a Deaf audience who do understand ASL versus a hearing audience who wouldn't but can understand a lot easier with his miming tricks and gesturing by David Armand.

I direct you to Keith Wann (I love that man!). Now I may be an ASL student and you'd sit there and say well then you can recognize the signs. However my knowledge is limited, I do not know all the signs. But I can recognize the fact that he's talking about some woman's big butt.
Some may consider this inappropriate for young eyes.. WARNING :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2AIHlDTzxM]YouTube - Keith Wann - HonkyTonk Badonkadonk ASL[/ame]

It wouldn't be funny since it's all about visual sight gag. Look at the gesture for "man". And the gesture for "real" as in "reeling in a line on a fishing pole" he did, and so on. ASL wouldn't be funny to a hearing audience.

No shit. And this isn't funny to a Deaf audience.

I agree with you..maybe a more appropriate title would have been better. :dunno:

Whoever put up that title isn't David Armand's doing (the comedian who does "Torn"). Let's keep that one in mind.

Honestly, I think miming is a true art but it should never be coined with Deaf culture or ASL. By doing that, it kinda ruins the art of miming for a Deaf audience. Just my opinion.

Honestly, I think miming is a true art but it should never be coined with Deaf culture or ASL. By doing that, it kinda ruins the art of miming for a Deaf audience. Just my opinion.

:gpost:

I direct you to Keith Wann (I love that man!). Now I may be an ASL student and you'd sit there and say well then you can recognize the signs. However my knowledge is limited, I do not know all the signs. But I can recognize the fact that he's talking about some woman's big butt.
Some may consider this inappropriate for young eyes.. WARNING :)

YouTube - Keith Wann - HonkyTonk Badonkadonk ASL

I know who he is and seen his skits. But I am telling you, again, a hearing audience wouldn't get Wann's skit. He signs specifically in ASL. He signs "woman" in ASL woman. Do you seriously think a hearing audience would see that sign and understand it to mean "woman"? Of course not.
What about the "jaw drop" as in awe of that woman? A hearing audience wouldn't pick that one up nor would they understand that sign. See, this is why a hearing audience hearing the song and seeing David Armand's visual sight gags and miming to be funny. David Armand and Keith Wann are world's apart when it comes to this form of visual entertainment/comedy.

I know who he is and seen his skits. But I am telling you, again, a hearing audience wouldn't get Wann's skit. He signs specifically in ASL. He signs "woman" in ASL woman. Do you seriously think a hearing audience would see that sign and understand it to mean "woman"? Of course not.
What about the "jaw drop" as in awe of that woman? A hearing audience wouldn't pick that one up nor would they understand that sign. See, this is why a hearing audience hearing the song and seeing David Armand's visual sight gags and miming to be funny. David Armand and Keith Wann are world's apart when it comes to this form of visual entertainment/comedy.

Respectfully, I disagree. I think hearing audiences would. Jaw drop is pretty universal for "OMG". Signs individually? Maybe not. I showed this video to my mom who doesn't know a stitch of sign and she laughed. Yes they are world's apart, you hit the nail right on the head. Because they ARE different. :) A lot of Keith's stuff is also interpreted by his wife too btw so hearing audiences DO understand what is going on if they don't know sign.

Yea, I agree with you there.

Respectfully, I disagree. I think hearing audiences would. Jaw drop is pretty universal for "OMG". Signs individually? Maybe not. I showed this video to my mom who doesn't know a stitch of sign and she laughed. Yes they are world's apart, you hit the nail right on the head. Because they ARE different. :) A lot of Keith's stuff is also interpreted by his wife too btw so hearing audiences DO understand what is going on if they don't know sign.

My hearing friends didnt understand my brother's video "Ice Cube" which was done in ASL/Mime..they couldnt find it funny while my deaf friends and I laughed our asses off.

I think it takes a very visual hearing person to understand someone using mime with ASL.

Back