Toddler Harness

Exactly Shel and next thing you know you have a screaming toddler laying on the floor kicking and throwing fists...

I only used the hardness on my two years old a couple of times at the bus stop where there's NO SIDEWALK! And some people judge me as a mother just because I didn't want my 2 years old to get hit by a car?...hmmm....

If it is so cruel how come it's still on the market?...And what about stroller? aren't they the same thing by having a child strapped down in a little chair? no walking, no running nothing just sitting there watching the view.....

I don't get it...

You are right about rebellious or some compliant. I don't have problem with my 4 children when they were at that age of 1 and beyond. I guess, I paid attention too much when I was young mother with my 4 kids. I can see some parents' children have problem stayin' with their parents in one spot. Everyone are different.

Right..everyone is different and whatever works we use but why do people judge and criticize parents like those people at the HC game did to my friend that day? That was what I didnt understand. She wasnt beating her kids or anything! Good grief!

If u dont agree to the harness, that is fine but to tell us what we shud do or what worked for u may not work cuz each child is different. My son is very very curious and his language development isnt at the point where he can comprehend about staying close to me or my hubby. In his mind, he wants to run and take off to explore his world. He refuses to sit in the stroller for more than 5 mins at a time so he will scream all he can. LOL!

Exactly Shel and next thing you know you have a screaming toddler laying on the floor kicking and throwing fists...

I only used the hardness on my two years old a couple of times at the bus stop where there's NO SIDEWALK! And some people judge me as a mother just because I didn't want my 2 years old to get hit by a car?...hmmm....

If it is so cruel how come it's still on the market?...And what about stroller? aren't they the same thing by having a child strapped down in a little chair? no walking, no running nothing just sitting there watching the view.....

I don't get it...

:gpost:

Same here..only used it on both of my kids like 2 times so far. My daughter, twice and my son 1 time so far...only when really needed.

Oh less responsibility and dont like teaching? Should I risk my 14 month old's son's life a little more just to see how much he has learned from how he should stay close, missing children, and all that? I think I am gonna choose safety..my daughter is now 9 years old and I did the same to her...she is very responsible about letting me know where she is and not taking off cuz while she was on the hardness, I also did my parental duties in teaching her about staying close. If I was using it when she is 4 or 5 and beyond then oooh yea, that means something is wrong but on a toddler who is barely 1 year old who loves to take off..I think it is ok for safety reasons.

I said some parents. I don't know about you. I've seen some parents don't pay attention to their kids.

I would give an example here : Think of head start school and they teach a child how to say/or spell each letter from A to Z and numbers from 1-10 or 1-100 or what ever --- before startin' kindergarten. They will teach the same thing over and over with English, math and so forth to make the child to understand. That's what I did with my 4 kids. BIG task and responsibility, yes -but, it worths it. No wonder I get grey hair earlier. :lol:

Really, I am tellin' you that every parent is different by how they want to raise their kids.

i do use harness on sean during crowded areas. because i lost him one time and a viking player picked him up and hold him till i found him and gave to me.

i use harness at state fair, etc.. sean isn't patietnt enough to stay in stroller all the time. and stroller is painful in crowded areas.. hitting people's legs, and hard to get through.

After reading through the many opinions, views and personal experiences....

Obviously...if...I mean, if I had used a harness on my own child (either one of my daughters), I definitely would much rather hear the endless rants and ridicules from onlookers who think they know-it-all than to hear the endless rants and ridicules from onlookers who discovers that my child, not in a harness was abducted and perhaps seriously hurt/maimed or worse, murdered...because she was able to 'roam' freely.... No matter how observant a parent can be 'watching' such child especially in an open and crowded event, place, etc..., all it takes is one or 2 seconds while the supposedly watchful eyes look elsewhere and small child wanders off unknowingly.

I don't see that using a harness is something cruel to use or is limiting a child...the purpose for a harness is for safety...it's just 'one' more tool parent(s) can use...besides other tools parent(s) can use such as strollers, holding hands, etc.,.... The world has changed dramatically...compared to decades ago when such occurances as 'kidnapping' a child wasn't so commonplace as it is more prevalent in today's society. There are other purposes and good common uses for using a harness--although, to openly criticize (publicly) a parent using one is something I would frown upon.... Not all children are susceptible to the expectations and rules parent(s) give them, no matter how many times they've been taught, bottom line is that, each child is different and their expectations varies.

As for the situation for your friend, I'm glad you were able to re-assure her to ignore those mindless folks criticizing...and to continue to give her your support to do whatever she feels is important to her, the safety, etc., for her own child, shel90. ;)

~RR

Yes, I have no problem for that and know that each parent have different view on harness. I understood where they come from... I only answer in my post #28 because shel90 ask for our opinion.

I definitely would much rather hear the endless rants and ridicules from onlookers who think they know-it-all

It doesn't mean that we are know-it-all because we know from our experiences and receive the tips how to deal our toddlers without use harness. That's how we like to share our experience with you all. I see nothing wrong to open our honest opinion over harness since Shel90 ask for our opinion in first place. I find those sad that you label us as "know-it-all" because some of us don't support harness and think of harness as animal.

I don't see that using a harness is something cruel to use or is limiting a child...the purpose for a harness is for safety...it's just 'one' more tool parent(s) can use...besides other tools parent(s) can use such as strollers, holding hands, etc.,.... The world has changed dramatically...compared to decades ago when such occurances as 'kidnapping' a child wasn't so commonplace as it is more prevalent in today's society. There are other purposes and good common uses for using a harness--although, to openly criticize (publicly) a parent using one is something I would frown upon.... Not all children are susceptible to the expectations and rules parent(s) give them, no matter how many times they've been taught, bottom line is that, each child is different and their expectations varies.

I see no problem for your opinion on this when I have different opinion as you & others. Yes I can understand where you & other come from. I would not judge/criticize the parents who use harness on their children because it's their children, they raise and beleive what best for them.

Yes I agree that each child is different.

As for the situation for your friend, I'm glad you were able to re-assure her to ignore those mindless folks criticizing...and to continue to give her your support to do whatever she feels is important to her, the safety, etc., for her own child, shel90. ;)
~RR

I can understand that you label mindless folks criticizing who public humliate/judge the parents who use harness on their toddlers but we are not mindless folks criticizing when we share our experiences/tips on this thread here since Shel90 ask for our opinion.

Yes I know... I had experience with Danny like this. After mother & child spa, I got tips how to deal with temper children like this.

I don't get it....

I mentioned in my post #28 that I let my boys out or in from stroller and let them curious what they like to see... They like to push stroller themselves or hold our hands. We spend our times on our curious boys...than worry about myself or shopping... I do use shopping cart when I want shop something...

I can understand that the SAFETY is parent's mind for want to use harness on their toddlers.

I dont like that harness.. i have autsim son and adhd son..they do run around but important have eyes on them and makin suire they are closer etc if at store, we alwyas put in carts not in the toddler seat kinda.. makin sure they stay there..

Oh yes, I have ADD son and don't use harness on him but eye him when he want in or out of stroller often if he wish...

That would be so awesome if my 14 month old could understand and follow the rules as such a young age especially the concept of missing children!!

Yes toddlers don't understand what rules about but they understand what "No" or "Yes" about. They understand when I show them something what they should not touch... They understand what "hurt" about...

About the stroller...I have to decide on him screaming , wailing, and pulling his fastener wanting to get out so he can walk and explore or him laughing and smiling while strapped to the hardness cuz he can walk and explore.

If he want to get out of stroller then let him... enjoy his curious until he fed up then go in stroller or push stroller or hold your hand... whatever... If you have him to stay on the stroller all the time is a force.

Yes I can understand your concern about crowd, traffic, etc... I would not risk my son's life when I'm alone in the crowd with him... He is tooo wild... That's why I don't go alone with my child... I leave my child at neighbor or kindergarten for go shopping... At weekends shopping, I bring my toddlers with me because my hubby come to support me...

HMMMM...I think I would go for the latter. Oh...and um...if a toddler hardness is so cruel, isnt strapping a screaming toddler who wants out in a stroller for a long period of time cruel?

see above

We have to do what we have to do to protect our kids and if my son is not bothered by the hardness as opposed to being strapped down, then I dont see anything wrong with it.

Yes I can understand that and have no problem with your opinion on this.

Interesting how everyone has a different point of view of the whole hardness thing but no debate over a stroller?

Yes I mentioned stroller in my few posts here.

My dear Liebling....tsk tsk.

When I refer to 'mindless folks', it's to those folks that shel90 referred to that had stated or done such things to spite her friend for using a harness for her own child...in no way am I referring to 'mindless folks' here in this thread....

To me, it's better to 'shut-up' and not say anything despiteful for something that another person believes is doing out of concern for their child...in other words, if one doesn't have anything nice to say, refrain from saying anything.... To 'think' a parent is somewhat 'cruel' with using a harness, it's even more cruel to publicly decry that parent. That's the point I'm trying to convey with my post.

Peace out!

~RR

Last edited:
Right..everyone is different and whatever works we use but why do people judge and criticize parents like those people at the HC game did to my friend that day? That was what I didnt understand. She wasnt beating her kids or anything! Good grief!

Yes I'm agree with you on this. The people who public judge and criticize on parents how to raise their children is none of their business... They should better consider to judge the parents who abuse the children.

My dear Liebling....tsk tsk.

When I refer to 'mindless folks', it's to those folks that shel90 referred to that had to stated or done such things to spite her friend for using a harness for her own child...in no way am I referring to 'mindless folks' here in this thread....

To me, it's better to 'shut-up' and not say anything despiteful for something that another person believes is doing out of concern for their child...in other words, if one doesn't have anything nice to say, refrain from saying anything.... To 'think' a parent is somewhat 'cruel' with using a harness, it's even more cruel to publicly decry that parent. That's the point I'm trying to convey with my post.

Peace out!

~RR

Yes, I know it's Shel60's first thread, you refered as 'mindless folks' who public criticizing Shel60's friend/parents. I only want you aware that we are not 'mindless folks' when we share our opinions on children on this thread here.

Please accept my apology if my post upset you. It's me who alway say something directly what I think... Perhaps I talk too open... I doesn't mean to upset you with my post. Sorry :blush:

I'm trying to edit in my last post but it doesn't working...

I want to edit and add... :grouphug: to everyone... and correct ":blush:" should be *blush* instead of :blush:

By the way, 'the' stroller isn't what is being discussed in this thread. ;)

~RR

Well, THAT stroller is another option, if some parents don't like to put a harness on their child.

Obviously...if...I mean, if I had used a harness on my own child (either one of my daughters), I definitely would much rather hear the endless rants and ridicules from onlookers who think they know-it-all than to hear the endless rants and ridicules from onlookers who discovers that my child, not in a harness was abducted and perhaps seriously hurt/maimed or worse, murdered...because she was able to 'roam' freely.... No matter how observant a parent can be 'watching' such child especially in an open and crowded event, place, etc..., all it takes is one or 2 seconds while the supposedly watchful eyes look elsewhere and small child wanders off unknowingly.

~RR

:gpost: Exactly , well said there dear!

Liebling:-))) said:
Yes I'm agree with you on this. The people who public judge and criticize on parents how to raise their children is none of their business...

Thank you my dearest Liebling! ;)

~RR

Thanks..it was just something that I remembered even though it was a while ago cuz I have a 14 month old son and I was curious why is there a controversy over it and not over strollers? Just very interesting to see all the posts with the different views.

My friend's 2 kids are much older now and doing fine. She has no need for the harness. :)

Back