Toddler Harness

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
5 years ago, my friend and her 2 small children joined me to the Gallaudet Homecoming football game. Since it was so crowded and everything, my friend put the toddler harness on her 18 month old daughter. A lot of people there openly criticized her for bad parenting and that it was cruel to use the hardness. My friend ended up crying later on that night and I had to reassure her over and over again to fuck to those stupid people for not keeping their opinions to themselves. Now I have a toddler and I know I would use it on my son if I go to a large and crowded event.

It seems that many people think they are cruel to the toddlers but in my opinion, as long as they are not overused, they keep the child safe especially when the parent or parents are deaf cuz we need our eyes to communicate and watch the kids. If we are talking to other people, of course our eyes wont be on the kids so I think the hardness is helpful in a large crowded event.

Your opinions on this? :)

Toddler harness??..Whats that?

Angel, if I'm not mistaken, it's somewhat of a harness you strap around a child's chest/shoulders, then there's a clip in the back so that a "leash" can be attached...it's a way for parents to keep their child close without having to carry him/her around.

I personally would not use one - but that's just a matter of opinion and all parents are entitled to proceed in whichever way they see fit. Personally, none of my kids would appreciate being restrained in that manner as they're all very curious little critters. Whenever I am out with the little ones, I will usually bring my stroller along. If it'll be too crowded or will have too many closed spaces, I will use my Snugli carrier for the baby...or I simply won't go as I don't like crowds, myself.

Um.. I believe is this what you were talking about...

thebabybungalow19302025iz0.jpg

Well I have one for my son when he was little, he likes to walk around and being his own independent. He doesn't like anyone hold him, or carry him. He just want to down, and it is hard to chase him around the public. I have teh teddy bear toddler harness for my son and it works. I know I might sound weird, and it is like A mom walking her dog I mean baby. It works for me and my husband, since we both talking to other people in public and it was hard for me to tell him sit still or stay there, and my son kept running away from us.

It works for my grandma. My grandma has bad knees, and she can't run after him. And She watch him while me and my husband work, and she use the harness on my son and it works for her so she can keep my son closer to her in the public.

You know how crazy in the publics are..

Ohhhhhh...yess , now I know what you're talking about, I 've always thought it was called " child's leash " opps...

I see nothing wrong with young children being on toddler harness since the parents wants to keep their child close by, which is understandable when it comes to being in a crowdy public places etc, some young children can not sit in a stroller for a long period of time or doesn't like to be in one....Children that young has alot of energy and can run off somewhere that can be dangerous...I've used it a couple of times on my 3rd child when we were at the bus stop, he was 2 at that time, the harness stopped him from running into the road since we do not have a side walk where we live...My 2 years old did not like being in the stroller, so I decide to use the toddler harness on him...Also I've seen many children running around unsupervised in public. It's very dangerous and the child could be kidnapped for all I know....

I've worked at the rib cook-offs for many years, I've seen some parents allow their children walking around unsupervised, sheesh we have hot grills and fryers... :shaking my head:

And for other parents who criticized her by calling her a bad parent, tell them to worry about their own children and mind their own freakin' business LOL..

Exactly, people must keep mind in their own business.

There is nothing wrong with parents using "child leash" on their toddlers. I have done with my son all the time when he was younger, and he always crawled out the stroller, and didn't want to sit in the stroller. babies are smart, and they know how to get out the stroller if they are in buckled up.

I don't find nothing wrong with it.

I prefer to choose my son's safety over anything and knowing that I need my eyes for everything, I will put the hardness on him if we go to a large event. He is starting to rebel about being in the stroller and he is TOOO heavy for the pouch. His safety comes first.

Funny thing is..those people (I would say about over 10 at different times during the HC game) probably dont have kids themselves cuz they look like young college students. Just wait until they have kids. They dont have to agree to the hardness but to be overly critical towards my friend was really awful. "If u have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself" was what my mom taught me.

"If u have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself" was what my mom taught me.

haha that's exactly what I taught my 3 children :-/ ...I hope they will pass this message along to their children too....

I used it alot for my first two daughters because they are 13 months different in age, I can't focus on both in crowd places. Its sensible thing to know they are not out of my sight.

I don't care what others thinks of me as long I am happy they are still with me, not gone disappear, they would belittled me for not look after my kids properly - which one is right? Go figure!

Simple ignore the people´s judgement against you if you want to have harness on your child since your child don´t mind to wear it then is okay... Remember it´s your child, not theirs.

I don´t use harness on my children but stroller because I personally do not like harness... I can´t bear to see the children are being treat like animal when the parents put them on leashes. Teach children boundaries & disipline & let them to curious new things, etc but harness? I doesn´t mean to upset you with my post that´s just what I think about harness since you ask for our opinion. I feel it´s easy for the parents who don´t have any time to teach their children to right way... No, I am not saying that you are bad parent but that´s just we as parents have different views what we think of harness.

Simple ignore the people´s judgement against you if you want to have harness on your child since your child don´t mind to wear it then is okay... Remember it´s your child, not theirs.

I don´t use harness on my children but stroller because I personally do not like harness... I can´t bear to see the children are being treat like animal when the parents put them on leashes. Teach children boundaries & disipline & let them to curious new things, etc but harness? I doesn´t mean to upset you with my post that´s just what I think about harness since you ask for our opinion. I feel it´s easy for the parents who don´t have any time to teach their children to right way... No, I am not saying that you are bad parent but that´s just we as parents have different views what we think of harness.

That is why I said as long as it is not overused (my opinion) but there are some situation where I feel it would really make a difference between life and death. For me being in a crowd for a social event, I will use it cuz I dont want to take the risk of taking my eyes off of my toddler just to use them to navigate thru the crowd or talk with others and then having my toddler run off. I tried using the stroller and I end up hitting so many people..

I am teaching my 14 month old not to run off but his concept of danger hasnt developed yet so until he learns, I will use whatever safety measures to keep him safe. :)

Some babies learn quick about dangers while others are just fearless. My son is so fearless...LOL!

When I was younger I thought the child harnesses were horrible. How dare those parents put a leash on their child like a DOG????? Then I grew up and had children of my own. My son would never stay in a stroller, climbing out all the time. Holding his hand is a nightmare because he slips away at every given opportunity, and if I hold his hand tight enough to keep a good grip, he whines and cries and claims I am hurting his hand and then people would really think I'm being cruel. I have come to this conclusion: It's a no win situation when you have children, because everybody thinks they know how to raise your child better than you do. I would love to see them keep my 4-year-old entertained and safe for one day!

conclusion: It's a no win situation when you have children, because everybody thinks they know how to raise your child better than you do. I would love to see them keep my 4-year-old entertained and safe for one day!

LOL exactly!! but I would actually LIKE to see them keep a 2 years old entertained and safe just for a day, oh wait, aren't they called terrible 2?.. ;)

Liebling:-))) said:
I can´t bear to see the children are being treat like animal when the parents put them on leashes.

I can truly understand that as when I was younger, I've witnessed parents having their younger children being on toddler harness , I thought OMG , how cruel to do this to a small child, but later on I realized the reason for it when I had children of my own... I opened my mouth too soon without knowing what it like to walk a miles or so in their shoes....

You can't expect to teach a toddler to stand by you ALL THE TIME, they like to walk around everywhere.....for example, if you turn your back just for one second, you would be surprise to turn around seeing your toddler is no longer behind ya!!....I mean anything like this could happen to any parents and the bottom line is, we no longer live in a safe world, kids are being kindnapped every second. so believe me I rather to use toddler harness than finding out from the police later on that my child is dead...

I don't need to use it anymore since all my three children are grown up now....but I won't judge those parents out there who are still using it on their toddlers...

Long time ago when I was 6 yrs old that my mom's friend use toddler harness on her daughter when her daughter was around 3 yrs old that was brown leather (old fashion) cuz her daughter always running around and get lost it driver her mom crazy. Till she dont use it anymore when her daughter getting grow :) .. Right now I dont see anyone use it anymore. Some rare saw they use see the picture

WristBuddy.jpg

I know the kids can be smart know how to get rid or open of wrist harness ( not know name )

Long time ago when I was 6 yrs old that my mom's friend use toddler harness on her daughter when her daughter was around 3 yrs old that was brown leather (old fashion) cuz her daughter always running around and get lost it driver her mom crazy. Till she dont use it anymore when her daughter getting grow :) .. Right now I dont see anyone use it anymore. Some rare saw they use see the picture

WristBuddy.jpg

I know the kids can be smart know how to get rid or open of wrist harness ( not know name )

Yea I remember those! I remember my baby brother using it and figuring it out to pull the wrist strap off.

Yea I remember those! I remember my baby brother using it and figuring it out to pull the wrist strap off.

Yea, the kids know how to open or rid of it it make mother *sighs* or arghh or else to put it back on.

I remember not sure what years that I saw little boy get rid of it and running around. His mother trying to get him till finally got him and put back on but the boy was cried doesnt want use wrist strap on his wrist. That is all I saw when I walk around and saw him.

A thought just crossed my mind...people say that the toddler hardness is cruel and limits the child's curiousity or movements. Ok...what about strollers? Some toddlers try to get out and end up crying trying to get out. What is the difference?

To me, there is no difference cuz both limit the child's movements (for a good reason) and the child doesnt like both of them.

A thought just crossed my mind...people say that the toddler hardness is cruel and limits the child's curiousity or movements. Ok...what about strollers? Some toddlers try to get out and end up crying trying to get out. What is the difference?

To me, there is no difference cuz both limit the child's movements (for a good reason) and the child doesnt like both of them.
Good point.

It seems that a harness actually allows the child to walk, touch things, look in all directions, and do more "exploring" of the environment than a stroller does.

Back