Tipping System

Do you really think all people can learn math. well? Some people have the problem with math... Did you know what illiteracy is?
I know that Liebling, that people have some difficulties, but it's common sense wisdom to tip when someone is serving you and you're getting everything you can ask for, a thank you should be given, a tip. :)

Do you tip your hairdresser for cutting, perming or highlighting your hair?

No matter either they are college students or not. I was student at college but I am not there to study math. ;)

Anyway, some of people do have the problem with math., no matter either they were or are students.
Figuring a tip isn't upper level calculus. It's elementary school math.

You went to college and didn't study any math? What kind of college was that?

Almost everyone has a cell phone, and those have calculators built in.

There are no excuses.

There are no excuses.

Yes I just used my cell phone last night at restaurant to figure out the tip but there is another way to do it easy by look at the sales tax here in my county. For instance if it says $3.50 then I would tip about $5.25. I have taught other deafies how to do this because they were cheapstake tippers.

If one has a hard time figuring out their tip on their restaurant bill, I suggest buying a little wallet size card that says, "Tip Computer".

It breaks everything down on how much one should tip.

Do you really think all people can learn math. well? Some people have the problem with math... Did you know what illiteracy is?

Russians are good at math and they don't need calculators to figure the exact changes. I go to many little shops and they don't have cash registers. They know how to figure the exact changes when I give them money to buy things. It's not rocket science but people are being lazy not wanting to figure out something. That's why we have brains and those who don't use their brains are utterly stupid.

I know that Liebling, that people have some difficulties, but it's common sense wisdom to tip when someone is serving you and you're getting everything you can ask for, a thank you should be given, a tip. :)

Count up % of tip is uncommon in Europe countries.

They are happy if I "tip" between €0.50 cent & €1.00 (I alway tell them to keep the change after pay the bill.) US Waitress would feel being insult if I did the same thing because they expect % of tipping system.

Do you tip your hairdresser for cutting, perming or highlighting your hair?

For your information, I go hairdress for just wash and cut my hair. No, they do not expect % of tip from me like what US expect from their customers. Every hairdresser do have their own piggy bank with each name & photo on it... I put € in one of piggy banks who done my hair.

See the example:
AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - Tipping System

How could some people count up % of tip when they thought $5.00 is good enough? In Europe countries doesn´t. They are happy if the customers tip €0.50 or €1.00... It´s not really obligation... but nice. They don´t have to count up how many % they have to tip waitress...

There are no excuses.

I learn math. at school, not college. ;)

Don´t you know what illiteracy is?

Russians are good at math and they don't need calculators to figure the exact changes. I go to many little shops and they don't have cash registers. They know how to figure the exact changes when I give them money to buy things. It's not rocket science but people are being lazy not wanting to figure out something. That's why we have brains and those who don't use their brains are utterly stupid.

Do you mean ALL russians? Sure, I have no problem with math. because I work under utilities division but it´s people, I am referring to who have trouble to understand the math.

Many people in the world have illiteracy (unable to read and write... )

Do you mean ALL russians? Sure, I have no problem with math. because I work under utilities division but it´s people, I am referring to who have trouble to understand the math.

Many people in the world have illiteracy (unable to read and write... )
I think math and read/write are two different thing. I learned how to play cards at age 3 and I was very good at it. I did not get to read or write till I learned sign language which years later. Anyone can do math if they use money to pay foods and other stuffs.

An interesting story about tipping was on the TV news this morning.

Stuart Varney, a financial reporter, was born and grew up in England. He's been an American for many years but he still has a strong British accent.

Recently, he went to a fancy NYC restaurant. He said that as soon as the maitre d' heard his accent, his attitude became cool to him. Why? Because the maitre d' knew that British tourists usually tip 10 percent or less. Varney just laughed because he's not a tourist, and he does things the American way. :lol:

Stuart Varney - FOXBusiness.com

A group of friends and I went out to a nice restaurant in Seattle. The waitress knew ASL and was really outgoing and attuned to our needs and wants.

When our separate bill came, I gave her more than 20% whereas two of my deaf friends gave less than 5%.

We argued about it afterwards.

The next time I went back to that restaurant by myself, the waitress remembered who I was and again, I got exceptional service.

My friends went back and didn't get that great of a service from her.

Moral of the story: if you want good service, tip good. If you want shi**y service, tip lousy.

Waiters and waitresses remembers who tips good and who doesn't. And they share that information with one another.

Well said!

I'm shocked at the number of cheapskates out there. It's so wrong. The sales min. wage is low but if the server is good at the job, the tips will make up for it! We always try to leave GOOD tips because we know what it's like to work in a restaurant. Yes, the servers do remember the good tippers!

If they are college students they should be able to figure percentages.

And if they can't do that, then maybe they will be able to at least double what the sales tax on the tab is.

I usually tip 20% (easier to figure multyolying by ".20" than ".15") sometimes rounding up or down staying within the appropriate .15 to .20 range, if they did their job. I'm not looking for them to kiss my @$$, though ZILCH if I get an attitude.
There is another easy trick.

Tax is usually 8% to 8.5%. What I do is look at the tax on my receipt, double it, round it up, then add a dollar (or more if necessary). From there, I add more if the service was good.

If one has a hard time figuring out their tip on their restaurant bill, I suggest buying a little wallet size card that says, "Tip Computer".

It breaks everything down on how much one should tip.
A lot of deaf people have mobile devices. Most of them should have calculators included. :)

Yes I just used my cell phone last night at restaurant to figure out the tip but there is another way to do it easy by look at the sales tax here in my county. For instance if it says $3.50 then I would tip about $5.25. I have taught other deafies how to do this because they were cheapstake tippers.
I knew a girl who brought a calculator with her everywhere. She would use it to calculate how much everyone else owed plus tips. The others would just round up and leave it. She would try to get their change back, but she didn't really understand the true purpose of tipping. I guess she never heard of "Keep the change." :)

I knew a girl who brought a calculator with her everywhere. She would use it to calculate how much everyone else owed plus tips. The others would just round up and leave it. She would try to get their change back, but she didn't really understand the true purpose of tipping. I guess she never heard of "Keep the change." :)
It is sad they do not understand the concept of tipping. I was shocked when a deaf man tried to took my husband's 5 bucks which was left for waitress and he told this man. Leave it alone and it is mine money and I gave this to waitress. He thought few dollars was enough but not to my husband, he just happen like this waitress and want his waitress to have his 5 dollars. Sometime we cover other deafs' low tips by give waitress more. Oh well.

Good service: Generous tip! When I am generous, I am generous. I do understand the need for servers in some establishments to survive on that sort of income with their lousy pay.

Lousy service: NO tip, period. I don't care what anyone says, but I am not gonna enable that self entitlement and poor service with my hard earned money. Instead, best for me to make a complaint to management so there's no room for assumptions nor drama about cheap deafies.

Anyone who tips, however small the amount may be, after a lousy service is not doing the establishment a favor by encouraging poor behavior.

Just strong opinion on this one, folks. *shrug* I think social manners are good but having principles is also important.

Back