Tipping System

http://www.german-way.com/dine.html

http://www.bonoestente.com/germany_german_cuisine_and_dining_out

There are no set rules for tipping. In most cases a service charge is included in the price of meals in restaurants. Tipping can vary from place to place and, depending on the quality of service, can range from rounding up to the next mark to 10% of the total bill. Always tell the waiter or waitress how much you want to pay. If, say, the bill was DM22.70, say "23 marks, please." The practice of leaving money on the table is all but unknown.

It's not called tips, but called "Trinkgeld" (money for drinking). So, the waitress can drink and not be thirsty, I guess! heh heh heh :-P

Liebling:-))) said:
I told them to keep the change something like that when the bill saying $29.00 or $29.50 etc. I paid $30 and told them to keep change. Would you call it kind of tipping? It's only voluntarily to ask them to keep the change.

Actually, tipping IS voluntary, as is telling someone to "keep the change."

The only difference lies in the percentages.

Thank you for answer, Pvt. Parts and K75 :thumb:

Yes, you could be right K75 that the waitress need small changes for drink when they are thirsty... "Trinkgeld"... :giggle:

True, Pvt. Parts. I would say that's kind of tipping system when I ask anyone to "keep the change" which it's different system as in America who tip separately from the bill.

That is not same with Americans who pay % tipping separately from bill. Example: The bill shown $29.00. I paid $30 to friendly waitress and told her to keep the change because I do NOT require $1 back.

Got it?
Yes. You paid the waitress a $1 tip. That is clear.

Reba said:
Yes. You paid the waitress a $1 tip. That is clear.

But it´s not same with America.

I can have the change back if I want to but I doesnt bother. It also doesn´t bother the waitress, too if I require the change back but with America is different. I bet American waitress would be offend if I ask them to keep the change (0.50 cent to $1.) instead of count up 30% tip.

when i do tip a waitress i just estimate how much to tip her depending on how well the service. If the waitress did a good job i would pay her $3 to $4. But...if the waitress did a horrible job with bad attitude with lousy food which i didnt order I would tip her for a penny lol :D

But it´s not same with America.

I can have the change back if I want to but I doesnt bother. It also doesn´t bother the waitress, too if I require the change back but with America is different. I bet American waitress would be offend if I ask them to keep the change (0.50 cent to $1.) instead of count up 30% tip.
Tipping is expected in America but it is not required. Most customers tip 15-20%. Sometimes the amount is close to what we owe, so we just say, "keep the change." Sometimes we pay by debit card, so we just add it to that. Sometimes we leave the tip in separate cash on the table. It just depends.

mld4ds's post

Liebling,

Methinks that you need to go to fast food restaurant even if you do not belive in tipping system. Go to McDonald, Roy Roger, Wendy, KFC, Taco Bell, Papa John, Dominos, Pizza Hut with Carry Out/Deliver only, Arbey, etc. Most of the fast food employees only earn low pay like $7.50 an hour plus some benefits. Are you aware that they can not afford to pay health insurance month plan with options: single plan for $80 and family plan for $350. That also applies to any department stores: Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, K-Mart, Sears, etc.

You do not need to go to any fancy restaurants since you do not want to pay $3 soda, $12 hamburger with fries, and $8 cheesecake with fresh stawberry. Pretty expensive prices at any hotel restaurant and private country club. What is the different between working class, middle class and wealth class? Working class is higher percent of popluation than middle class. The wealth class is lower population than middle class. Most of the middle class go to fast food resturants, but they do frequently go to fancy resturants. They have right sense of ecomonic since they do pay debts in college, house and car, child expenses and others.

Most of waitstaff depend on tipping system so that they would have to earn extra profits much better than standard salaries. Moreover, they are happy for not working at any fast food business anymore.

My wife told me that she went to the restaurant in Rome and she had to pay $12 dollar for that small piece of pizza. No wonder they do not believe in tipping system in Europe.

Which do you prefer to go to McDonald's or Applebee's?

Which clothing store do you prefer to purchase?
Wal-Mart, Macy's or Nordstroms?

See my point.....

Please re-read my opinion over tipping system in this thread. :) Please remember that Europe's and America's culture are different.

Yes, I know that Rome's life is an expensive of Europe...

We (Europeans) visit resturant/guest houses most than Fast Foods resturant. We don't have to tip the waitresses with % like what Americans did.

Since tips are usually 15%, I do something very simple when paying my restaurant bills. When I receive the check, I check the tax and double it and round it up depending on the total cost of the check. That's my tip. Here's an example:

Cost is $16.12
Tax is $1.37
Sub-total is $17.49
Tip (2x tax) is $2.74
Total (sub-total plus tip) is $20.23

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being horrible & 5 being great), I base the total payment depending on the service i received:

1 = $18.00 (2.9%)
2 = $19.00 (8.6%)
3 = $20.00 (14.4%)
4 = $21.00 (20.1%)
5 = $22.00 (25.8%)

In most cases, it's usually 4 or 5 for the service I receive. There has been a couple of times when the service was HORRIBLE!
Waiter came and asked what we wanted to drink. We ordered drinks. Later, waiter came and asked if we wanted anything. We said, "Yeah, our drinks." He left. Later, waiter came and saw us... then walked off quickly realizing he forgot our drink. Later, waiter finally brought us our drinks. He then asked if we were ready to order food. We ordered our appetizers first. Later, he returned and asked if we wanted dinner. We ordered our dinner. Later, he returned and we already emptied our cups. He took our cups and left. He returned and asked if we wanted anything else. We said, "Yes, our food and drinks." He quickly walked off. Later, he returned with our dinner. Later, he returned with our drinks. Later, he returned with our appetizers. WTF? Why is it called appetizer? Yep, it's a small 'snack' that we eat before we have dinner and it is served about 10 minutes before dinner is served. So, we waited about 20 minutes for our drinks. After that, we waited 1 hour for our dinner. After that, we waited 15 minutes for our appetizer. We were extremely disappointed and gave him a few cents in tips.
From that point on, we never had that guy wait on us again.

Im upset with some deaf people because they order $10 worth of food then they just use spare change to tip the waitress and I tell them its not proper and they say well i need my money for other things so i tell them why did they even bother going out in the first place if they cant afford the tip? Its like they're taking advantage of the waitress. Just my 2 pennies. :pissed:

DeafBiker4JC said:
Im upset with some deaf people because they order $10 worth of food then they just use spare change to tip the waitress and I tell them its not proper and they say well i need my money for other things so i tell them why did they even bother going out in the first place if they cant afford the tip? Its like they're taking advantage of the waitress. Just my 2 pennies. :pissed:
:werd:

If you were to stand outside of the dorms at RIT and watch as students come out to pick up their pizzas, you'll notice a couple of things...

Almost all deaf students picking up their pizzas don't leave tips. Almost all hearing students picking up their pizzas do leave tips.

When I asked the deafies why they didn't tip, they said... "I just wanted the pizza, I don't care about their service. *rolls eyes*"

DeafBiker4JC said:

In Canada, it's often expected of people to tip in coins but that's because we have $1 and $2 coins, not dollar bills.

VamPyroX said:
Since tips are usually 15%, I do something very simple when paying my restaurant bills. When I receive the check, I check the tax and double it and round it up depending on the total cost of the check. That's my tip. Here's an example:

Cost is $16.12
Tax is $1.37
Sub-total is $17.49
Tip (2x tax) is $2.74
Total (sub-total plus tip) is $20.23

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being horrible & 5 being great), I base the total payment depending on the service i received:

1 = $18.00 (2.9%)
2 = $19.00 (8.6%)
3 = $20.00 (14.4%)
4 = $21.00 (20.1%)
5 = $22.00 (25.8%)

In most cases, it's usually 4 or 5 for the service I receive. There has been a couple of times when the service was HORRIBLE!From that point on, we never had that guy wait on us again.

ugh! that service is horrible as you just stated in the message!

I hate to break it to you, but I used to work at a restaurant on Capitol Hill in DC, near Union Station... we got lots of Gallaudet students, and 9 times out of 10 we would either get stiffed or get something like a $2 tip on a $58 tab. It was horrible. It was to the extent that all the waiters and waitresses would do whatever they could to get out of waiting on a table of deaf students.

I finally got fed up with it. One night we had a table of six deaf girls come in and sit on the patio (a very lucrative spot). They were assigned to a new waitress who was a little inexperienced and nervous. After thet'd finished their food and were waiting for their check, Sue asked me if she should add 15% to their check (which was an option for parties 6 and larger). I looked to see what table she was talking about and said "YES. Absolutely."

A few minutes later, she came and found me, with one of the deaf girls trailing behind and obviously flustered. She said, "They said they can't afford to pay the check with the tip added."

I was furious, but I tried to contain myself. "Tell them to pay whatever they can afford," I said. But then I went to the servers' station and wrote a note and took it to their table. The note said "If you can't afford to treat the people who serve you with a little respect, then you shouldn't go out to eat."

Of course they took it to the manager, and a few days later I was fired (reluctantly, I should add -- the manager said I had been a great waiter and had every right to be mad and he'd give me a recommendation anywhere, but I had violated policy nonetheless). I was out of line, but I was absolutely fed up with the treatment we received almost ALL the time from our deaf customers.

Believe me, I am about the last person to ever stereotype a group of people. I am about as liberal as they come, and I don't dislike deaf people in general. And granted that this was almost 14 years ago, so things might possibly have changed. But this is one stereotype that, in my experience, was absolutely true. I didn't experience this on a widespread basis from blind people, or black people, or any other group except for the hearing-impaired.

If deaf people expect to treated like everyone else (a fair expectation), then they should also accept the same responsibilities as everyone else.

Scott

tribalseer, I hate to say but I has to...

Please don´t blame deafies.. Not just them but hearing as well...

Like what Pvt. Parts said that tips is voluntarily. Yes I can understand that that waitresses/waiter expect 15% to 20% tip from customers but you can´t expect them.

I would suggest you to read the whole thread from 1st page then you will understand where we come from.

Normally employer should pay waitresses/waiters for their work, not rely customers for tips. In Europe, we don´t tip waitress/waiter in any resturants.

Nope, Leibling; Scott is right. That was his experience and mine also , even though I am deaf.

From one of the links posted here...

PAYING THE CHECK & TIPPING | This is almost always done at the table with the waiter or waitress who served you. The foodserver even carries a money pouch to take care of the financial transaction. He or she also receives an automatic 15 percent of the check, included in the price of the meal. This service fee is known as Bedienung. So don’t add on another 10-15 percent! And don’t leave any tip on the table.

This is why you don't tip waiters in Europe. They always get 15 percent.

From one of the links posted here...

PAYING THE CHECK & TIPPING | This is almost always done at the table with the waiter or waitress who served you. The foodserver even carries a money pouch to take care of the financial transaction. He or she also receives an automatic 15 percent of the check, included in the price of the meal. This service fee is known as Bedienung. So don’t add on another 10-15 percent! And don’t leave any tip on the table.

This is why you don't tip waiters in Europe. They always get 15 percent.

Hi, K75! Long time, no see! Say, about your last line above; does this include Germany?

Back