Tipping System

Cheri said:
But bear in mind, It's not the waitress or waiter's fault that the food are bad, because they didn't make it, the cooks in the kitchen did. But on the other hand, we should be paying tips based on how the quality of the service are from the waitress or waiter.

I agree I used to tip based on meal cost and taste but the server does the same work if you order a $7.00 sandwich or a $15.00 steak and not their fault if the cook did a shit job so I try to tip based only on how good they are with bringing my order, getting re fills, asking if I need any thing ect.

Cheri said:
But bear in mind, It's not the waitress or waiter's fault that the food are bad, because they didn't make it, the cooks in the kitchen did. But on the other hand, we should be paying tips based on how the quality of the service are from the waitress or waiter.

:confused: I never say that it´s waitress or waiter´s fault that the foods are bad. I know they are not cooker.

I only said that the waitresses´s job task to ask the customers either the taste of meals is good or not. The waitress/waiter are obligate to inform the owner about bad foods where the customer report with complaint. The owner or Manager come to check the food and give the customer coupon for next gratis meal or bottle of wine.

What could you do if you find the food bad? Get waitress to inform the owner or what? Woudl you still pay if the food are bad?

Germans demand good food because they pay it.

It´s waitress´s job task to ask you either the food is good nor not because the owner want to know either the cooker is good cooking or not.

Soonersseth said:
I agree I used to tip based on meal cost and taste but the server does the same work if you order a $7.00 sandwich or a $15.00 steak and not their fault if the cook did a shit job so I try to tip based only on how good they are with bringing my order, getting re fills, asking if I need any thing ect.

I would not pay the cost if the food are bad.

I only pay good food and drink.

Did you complaint the owner about bad food or what?

Liebling:-))) said:
:confused: I never say that it´s waitress or waiter´s fault that the foods are bad. I know they are not cooker.

Oh Liebling, I know you never said that, I was only pointing out about foods that being brought to tables are not the waitress fault, I only copied your quote to remind all that if the food you ordered didn't turn out the way you wanted it, I wouldn't lower her/his earning tips. ;)

What could you do if you find the food bad? Get waitress to inform the owner or what?

If I ordered something, and the food is cold, or burnt. I would tell my waiter/waitress about it. Normally they take care of the problem, and return me a fresh plate. :)

Cheri said:
Oh Liebling, I know you never said that, I was only pointing out about foods that being brought to tables are not the waitress fault, I only copied your quote to remind all that if the food you ordered didn't turn out the way you wanted it, I wouldn't lower her/his earning tips. ;)

Oh i see the point is tipping system... I know that you tip the waitress for her good service, not the food you complaint about.

If I ordered something, and the food is cold, or burnt. I would tell my waiter/waitress about it. Normally they take care of the problem, and return me a fresh plate. :)

Exactly. This is waitress´s job task to keep the customers happy. They made fresh plate or coupon for next gratis dinner or bottle of wine... Depend on different resturants in Germany.

My dad used to tip for good service, and an extra $50 if the cute waitress gave him her name and phone number (yeah, he was bad). That was back in the 70's and 80's.

Dad was a picky customer. He refused to use salad bars. He expected the waiter/waitress to make his salad and bring it to him (and they did it!). If something wasn't right, he sent it back. He was a pain in the neck in a restaurant.

BUT...if the waiter/waitress pleased him, he tipped VERY well. He would also request that server by name the next time he ate there. He was picky and a pain, but also generous.

He loved to eat in full-service restaurants. When I was a kid growing up with him, we never, never ate at a "fast food" place, even when we drove across country (Route 66). We only ate in full-service restaurants, even as little kids. No burgers, hot dogs or french fries allowed. Mostly steak, lobster, and baked potatoes.

I guess that is why I am used to tipping. :)

Reba said:
If someone can afford to eat at a sit-down restaurant, he/she can afford to pay good tips. If someone can't afford to pay tips, then he/she should not eat at that restaurant. It is not right to deny tips to the servers. They did their work and should be rewarded.

wow :eek: :jaw: Sorry, I think it´s unfair because someone like to enjoy on their special day then plus they have to save up to pay the tip because the owner don´t pay waitress for customer´s serves.

Sorry, I didn´t get use it. I never tip any resturants like this in my life... :eek:

Being a cheap customer is no excuse.
:confused: I see no excuse that the owner hire the waitress cheap and expect the customers tip the waitress for the owner.

In America, the tip is part of the normal cost of dining out. If we don't want to pay tips we get "take-out" food.

Yes, I understand it´s American custom.

Also, there is nothing wrong with restaurant owners making a profit. That is the reason they are in business. Owning and managing a restaurant is not a hobby just for fun.

Nothing wrong? :eek: Are you still think it´s nothing wrong that the owner make fat profit and hire waitresses cheap? :eek:
My brother is business man and told me that he would become millionaire if he´s owner of the resturant in America to hire workers cheap with no agreement contract. I told him to go then... He said no because he has own business in London, he is happy with his fat profit and pay his 8 employees due correct tarrif. He dont like to pay his employee cheaply case he will get bad reputation if he do.

Reba said:
My dad used to tip for good service, and an extra $50 if the cute waitress gave him her name and phone number (yeah, he was bad). That was back in the 70's and 80's.
:naughty: I know most waitresses are cute... :giggle:

Dad was a picky customer. He refused to use salad bars. He expected the waiter/waitress to make his salad and bring it to him (and they did it!). If something wasn't right, he sent it back. He was a pain in the neck in a restaurant.

Yeah, Germans are very picky customers that why we alway have good food...

BUT...if the waiter/waitress pleased him, he tipped VERY well. He would also request that server by name the next time he ate there. He was picky and a pain, but also generous.

He loved to eat in full-service restaurants. When I was a kid growing up with him, we never, never ate at a "fast food" place, even when we drove across country (Route 66). We only ate in full-service restaurants, even as little kids. No burgers, hot dogs or french fries allowed. Mostly steak, lobster, and baked potatoes.

Yeah, I was grow up poor area where we never went to resturant or fast food but fish & chip store until I visit resturant for a first time when I was 15 years old.

My hubby grow up visit to many resturants. Here in Germany dont have fast food much like in America but common go to resturants than fast food. We prefer visit resturants with family... Sometimes we went Mc Donald or King Burger for my children´s birthday treat.

I guess that is why I am used to tipping. :)

I understand its your habit to tipping in any resturants... Yes, I see that it´s America custom... I know it would be harder for me if I visit America one day... I need American to teach me how to tip the waitress... :giggle:

Are you still think it´s nothing wrong that the owner make fat profit and hire waitresses cheap? :eek:
No one is forcing the waitresses to work at that restaurant. Most of my server friends brag about their big tips. Most servers don't take wait jobs as life-time careers, so they really don't need long-term contracts or retirement plans.

Why shouldn't owners make profits? Restaurant owners take a risk in opening a business, they hire many workers, and they work hard. They deserve their profits.

Liebling said:
1. wow, you are Europe traveller. Did you visit camp in Dachau?

Yes. That was one of the most heart-wrenching things I've ever experienced in my life.

2. Why should it's difficult to explain?

It is difficult to explain because there is a lot of math involved with the following factors:
- The cost of purchasing the food
- The price at which the food sells
- Speed at which customers come in & leave the restaurant
- Wages
- Taxes

We biggest difference between the U.S. and Germany is the tax structure.

Our tax system in the U.S. is set up so that both the owner and the employees can maximize their personal income based on making good choices and working hard. If you make bad choices and loaf around on the job, you LOSE money, whether you're the owner or a server.

How?

Servers' tips often do not have to be declared for taxation purposes (even if they declare, the tax rate on tips is lower than the rate for wages), whereas wages are ALWAYS declared and taxes levied on both the restaurant's owner and the server.

So, if you provide good service, are efficient with your time, you are able to bring in more customers and sell more food for the owner (more $$ for owner). You also get tipped better (more $$ for server).

Everybody wins!

Many sales jobs in our country have tax structures like this and the dividends are terrific.

Reba said:
No one is forcing the waitresses to work at that restaurant. Most of my server friends brag about their big tips. Most servers don't take wait jobs as life-time careers, so they really don't need long-term contracts or retirement plans.

contracts or retirement plans for their future is not need? :eek: Ok, this is their decision.

Yes, I´m agree that the waitresses work for the owner voluntarily but they do not need to complaint about customer´s low tipping because they know in first place that the tipping system is a voluntarily.

Why shouldn't owners make profits? Restaurant owners take a risk in opening a business, they hire many workers, and they work hard. They deserve their profits.

Logically yes, the owner make profit is normal. Look at my brother, he make a fat profit after pay his 8 employees correct wages due tarif, tax, etc., not toooo low wage what the US owner made for their employees. There´re huge difference between a huge profit and under paid wages.

Cheri said:

I wanted to address this briefly.

It may not be the server's fault but it is the server's responsibility to rectify the situation and prevent it from happening again.

Pvt. Parts said:
I wanted to address this briefly.

It may not be the server's fault but it is the server's responsibility to rectify the situation and prevent it from happening again.

Yes, that´s right.

A little more info

I was stationed in London years ago (80's) and don't remmy much about VAT (value added tax?), but I couldn't believe customers getting charged for packets of ketchup at McDs. When I ate out at sit down restaurant over there, I still tipped the same way I did in States.

I try to go out once a week, so I can get a REAL meal. Microwave noodles, cold sandwiches, or cereal gets old. I generally leave $2 for a $12-15 meal. If I go out with friends, the tip is at LEAST $1 for every person. If I see the ticket, I'll round it up to nearest $ and divide by five (20%). If the waiter/waitress really spoils us, I'll leave 25%. Bigger groups (over six people) have a service charge added to bill instead of tips at many restaurants.

The $2.90 is half of minimum wage and this is allowed. I don't have a link to minimum wage law chart. There are some places where managers force the wait staff to inflate their tips, so boss doesn't have to make up the difference between tips and minimum. Those a**h**s also have people quitting every day. Some places have 2-300% turnover a year and can still stay in business. Don't unddy how or why. I've worked too many jobs to count, but NEVER restaurants or fast food - NO WAY.

ITPjohn said:
I was stationed in London years ago (80's) and don't remmy much about VAT (value added tax?), but I couldn't believe customers getting charged for packets of ketchup at McDs. When I ate out at sit down restaurant over there, I still tipped the same way I did in States.

Yes, that´s right. They charge me for packets of ketcup at McDonald in London. Yes, it´s correct that VAT (Value added tax).

Here in Germany, the one ketchup or any dressing are including but they charge you extra if you want more than just one ketchup or any dressings. We asked for 4 ketchup if we have 4 person with us. My hubby and I dont like ketchup and give our ketchup to children to use because the children like to have much ketchup... :eek:

I remember when I was in Australia with my family. We can collect load packets of ketcups whatever we like with no extra charge which it´s different as Europe.

Sure I do, usually I get free coupon for next meal and not having to pay for the meal that I object. Always works if you open your mouth. Most business owners knew the importance of customers satisfaction. Failure to do so will hurt his or her business very easily. They knew negative word of mouth gets around faster than positive word of mouth, that is why they are very careful with customers satisfaction.

Same principle with Wyndsuckertell. They refused to focus on customers satisfaction and needs. Their business plummet like Niagara fall! Wynd is struggling to get the customers back, and I don't think they can ever recover 20 millions dollars losses. On other Hand T-mobile was so focus on making their customers happy by giving credits to customers (they lost millions of dollars already) for great Sidekick blackout. Their business have not dropped much!

I would not pay the cost if the food are bad.

Did you complaint the owner about bad food or what?

Your right about very high turn overs. Really those restaurant jobs designed as "Beginner" for workforce world. There are plenty of teenager and high school kids who wants to work and earn money and they don't have experience, so that is what restaurant had its advantage. Working in restaurant is NEVER considered as living income, it is more of suppliment income. You see, teenagers still lives under their parent's roof and they don't pay rent or little, and they generally don't have family to support, so therefore higher income is not needed.

Go and visit these restaurants and you will see much more inexperienced young employees down there than you would find in real world employment like Manufacturing, etc.

ITPjohn said:
The $2.90 is half of minimum wage and this is allowed. I don't have a link to minimum wage law chart. There are some places where managers force the wait staff to inflate their tips, so boss doesn't have to make up the difference between tips and minimum. Those a**h**s also have people quitting every day. Some places have 2-300% turnover a year and can still stay in business. Don't unddy how or why. I've worked too many jobs to count, but NEVER restaurants or fast food - NO WAY.

Here is link for United States federal minimum wages

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

Now, I know employment who recieves tips have the minimum wage of golly!!! insanely low of $2.13 an hour!!! Employment who recieves tips are not limited to waitresss. It could include bell boy, delivery pizza drivers, etc.

Yes, that´s right. They charge me for packets of ketcup at McDonald in London. Yes, it´s correct that VAT (Value added tax).

Here in Germany, the one ketchup or any dressing are including but they charge you extra if you want more than just one ketchup or any dressings. We asked for 4 ketchup if we have 4 person with us. My hubby and I dont like ketchup and give our ketchup to children to use because the children like to have much ketchup... :eek:

I remember when I was in Australia with my family. We can collect load packets of ketcups whatever we like with no extra charge which it´s different as Europe.
They actually do that? That's weird. In Rochester, NY... they charge for extra sauce like BBQ or Honey Mustard. Heh! That usually depends on the location. Some places do and some places don't. I guess people abused it in those places. :roll:

VamPyroX said:
They actually do that? That's weird. In Rochester, NY... they charge for extra sauce like BBQ or Honey Mustard. Heh! That usually depends on the location. Some places do and some places don't. I guess people abused it in those places. :roll:

And salad dressing too, If you want more than one package of salad dressing.

Back