thoughs on deaf/hearing relationships?

It ain't no shocking thing to see. Just because that it is statistically true.

I wrote what I wrote because I myself struggle with the thought of being vulnerable to someone with any kind of advantage over me or with a wish to use me in some kind of twisted way.

Grummer just put it in terms that I have not allowed myself to fully think. Cynicism may be true and realistic; does that mean it should be embraced? In the time before that embrace there are more choices. After? Those choices may still be there but it is a path against reason taken with an attitude. Still doable but more complex.

Of course in my case I am a deaf older man who has made choices to do it my way most of my life. I figure now if I make the big mistake it is close enough to the end that I can just give up and die my way out of it. :lol:
Having made such a hash of things that will only pay off with hard work together for a long time ain't much insurance but its all I got.

As far as statistics goes haul them out. I have no argument just curiosity.

You're right. I appreciate your thoughts.
I can only pray to be selfless and not let resentment build up. If the roles were reversed he would do the same for me.

You are doing the right thing with your boyfriend by having him communicate with you in ASL. I don't think he would do the same if the roles would have been reversed.

This is different because if he was involved with your hearing friends and family members and he will be forced to lipread what hearing people are saying. You might end up being an interpreter for him to know what is going on in the family and friends. He will have a hard time (frustrated) not be able to understand in the hearing world. It is the communication that is the key. He can not hear but hearing society expect any d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing (HOH) to hear and listen with hearing aid(s) or CIs. Hearing with the devices are totally different than normal hearing. With the devices, they can not pick up the words, but maybe some that they can related by familiar words. But often, they get lost even if some of the words are familiar and need to be repeated again. That is why many Deaf people rely on ASL better than oral method and lipreading. I do know that some Oral deaf have trouble trying to understand in the hearing world, too. Others may be successful with no problem.

So you can not reverse because he would do the same for you. No way. It is not the same. You would be heading for divorced or separated if their roles are reversed. Am I making sense? :(

So my question is
How is it and how does it feel to be in this relationship?
My cousin has taught me that I have so much love ..

So my question is
How is it and how does it feel to be in this relationship?
My cousin has taught me that I have so much love and a deeper connection to "defies"
I really would like to step into something one day just any tips or advice

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

"defies" Defies what?

In my experience, when I was dating a Deaf girl (I'm hearing), our communication was fantastic and it was one of the healthiest relationships I have ever been in. She got a lot of pressure from her family to end the relationship and I understood that she had to side with her family over me. But I sign and prefer to do so, but unfortunately, her mom was always going to see me as "that hearing boy" and I couldn't change that, despite my signing proficiency

My girlfriend is deaf. I fell in love with her in 2006 online. I am hearing. She, however, is late deafened, and not culturally deaf, though very comfortable with her deafness. It works fine for us :) we know a little sign, she lip reads, and we type and text a lot or I dictate into her phone and it turns my words into text. Through her I have many other late deafened friends with the same condition that took her hearing. Almost all of them are dating or married to hearing partners. I don't see why it is a big deal at all, although perhaps it is different for the culturally deaf. To me it seems silly to discriminate against a potential great partner over something like that. My only deal breaker might be if someone did not like dogs ;)

Back