thoughs on deaf/hearing relationships?

I know about the same mistakes over and over again. However, it would suck to be lonely but thats just me.

My grandma just could NOT be alone. About 2 months after her 5th hubby died, she got into a serious relationship and has been in it for 3 years now. I am surprised she didnt marry him.

She'll neve give up, huh?...:giggle:..Well, kudos to her...if she does or doesn't marry him...at least she's has companionship....Some people like their freedom to come and go as they please.....guessing it's all a frame of mind.

:wave:
Is like too different worlds I know but still hoping may be this time is different D.... You would think I would learn! Oh well plan for the worst and Hope for the Best. Happy New Year may this year be a whole lot better than last.:laugh2:

That's right. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope it all works out for you.

I am 60 profoundly deaf for many years ,have been Married 5 times maybe because they were hearing? Just recently met a man hearing again seems different than others we will see?

Just a gut feeling here but if you've been through five marriages, it wasn't hearing that was issue but other factors.

Laura

Hi all! I am a hearing 21 year old female but fluent in ASL. I'm curious what everyone thinks about mixing deaf and hearing in a relationship? I know it's not all that common, but oddly enough ever since I was a little girl I would tell my mom that I would marry a deaf man. I know that's weird, but whatever. I've seen a few relationships where one person was deaf and the other was not, but you don't see a lot of it.

Any thoughts?

first of all -- does it really matter about mixing deaf and hearing? black and white? short and tall? thin and fat? etc? Most relationship tends to last or be there because they resemble each other in some way. Any relationship that looks odd but stays together has something in common that keeps them together whether they like it or not.

I know of a few hearing/deaf marriages and still together. As for you - if you already like someone that just "happens" to be deaf then tell them. life is too short to waste it. :cool2:

I know of a few hearing/deaf marriages and still together. As for you - if you already like someone that just "happens" to be deaf then tell them. life is too short to waste it. :cool2:

I was waiting for someone to say that. Thank you. :)

Its your life. If you look forward to a deaf guy go for it. I have known couples that are like that and it is hard to tell the wife is hearing. It is just you lookibg for your ideal. It is not everyones ideal but neither is the couple that creates their own world. That makes for a successful relationship

(are you turbocharged or you saying you want to be derrik)...........
there more hearing people around than deaf so you going to meet more hearies,love comes along in all sort of ways rejoice it deaf or hearing man dont put yourself into one group it unhealthy

Yeah, I would want to be turbocharged if there was a way to make a human one.

She'll neve give up, huh?...:giggle:..Well, kudos to her...if she does or doesn't marry him...at least she's has companionship....Some people like their freedom to come and go as they please.....guessing it's all a frame of mind.

Yea, they are both 82 years old. They dated in high school, lost in touch, and rekindled after my grandma's husband passed away. Just cute. :)

Been in a deaf/hearie relationship one year .
Need advice bad .. Before all is lost I love this person
Sometimes communication gets twisted. Don't know what to do ?
Sorry I'm posting before my intro but time is off the essence.
My name is Trish and my heart is as big as the world
Thank you in advance for anything

Been in a deaf/hearie relationship one year .
Need advice bad .. Before all is lost I love this person
Sometimes communication gets twisted. Don't know what to do ?
Sorry I'm posting before my intro but time is off the essence.
My name is Trish and my heart is as big as the world
Thank you in advance for anything

What are examples of communication that gets twisted?

It seem hearing/deaf heterosexual relationship is more "successful" when hearing is woman and deaf is man. Apparently hearing woman are more open mind and willing to learn, than it is the other way around.

Many,but not all, hearing man who are fluent in ASL are, ahem, homosexual, or CODA and already married.

I am deaf single in my 30's, with no luck with hearing men--they tried to learn sign language then stop. I live in area where deaf are almost non-existent, it is like finding needle in the haystack. So I have to relocate, where? I haven't determine which deaf communities has more single deaf men in 30's because I am looking for serious long term relationship.

Communication and emotional aspects are very important to me.

I am 60 profoundly deaf for many years ,have been Married 5 times maybe because they were hearing? Just recently met a man hearing again seems different than others we will see?
Married 5 times with hearing men? Perhaps, that's a sign that it's time to seek a deaf man instead?

It seem hearing/deaf heterosexual relationship is more "successful" when hearing is woman and deaf is man. Apparently hearing woman are more open mind and willing to learn, than it is the other way around.

Many,but not all, hearing man who are fluent in ASL are, ahem, homosexual, or CODA and already married.

I am deaf single in my 30's, with no luck with hearing men--they tried to learn sign language then stop. I live in area where deaf are almost non-existent, it is like finding needle in the haystack. So I have to relocate, where? I haven't determine which deaf communities has more single deaf men in 30's because I am looking for serious long term relationship.

Communication and emotional aspects are very important to me.

I am deaf and have been in a relationship with a hearing man for 2 years. It works. There are not communication barriers between us, and if ever we come to one, we overcome it. It just takes patience and unconditional love for that person.

My ex-girlfriend often told me she wondered what it would be like to date someone who is hearing. I would have dropped her at that moment, but I sticked it out. Not with her any more. This experience makes me leery of dating someone who is hearing, but that won't stop me from dating someone(in general) who is hearing again.

I have no beef with letting love happen however it happens. I would caution that looking for a specific set of traits doesn't have that "letting it happen" aura surrounding it. If you socialize more in the Deaf world than you do in the hearing world then chances are... you're going to find a Deaf man. You usually find love where you hang the most. Mutual love knows no disability, ethnicity, or gender.

Myself... I could never date a hearing person. Back in college, I laid with as many of them as I could get but anything more meaningful than that... nope. I'd be too insecure as they can hear or note private and personal things that I do is different. I guess... it's like this with me... you may understand but you will never relate.

(for viewpoint perspective clarification. I am a male who's happily been with my wife for many years.)

Back