thoughs on deaf/hearing relationships?

SilentSigns

Reaction score
Hi all! I am a hearing 21 year old female but fluent in ASL. I'm curious what everyone thinks about mixing deaf and hearing in a relationship? I know it's not all that common, but oddly enough ever since I was a little girl I would tell my mom that I would marry a deaf man. I know that's weird, but whatever. I've seen a few relationships where one person was deaf and the other was not, but you don't see a lot of it.

Any thoughts?

PS. I've been involved in the deaf world for quite some time.. I don't really consider myself just another hearing person with an awkward deaf fetish. That's just weird.

There are some deaf people that like cars with turbocharged engine just like there are hearing people that like cars with turbocharged engine.

I've ran in deaf people that thought it was a cool idea to teach cats ASL. I'm sure many hearing people will love that novelty too.

So if you want to date someone who is deaf, go for it.

There are some deaf people that like cars with turbocharged engine just like there are hearing people that like cars with turbocharged engine.

I've ran in deaf people that thought it was a cool idea to teach cats ASL. I'm sure many hearing people will love that novelty too.

LMAO fucking hell I KNEW that would be in your reply BEFORE i clicked to go see this thread, fucking hilirous..
as for me
I love swearing i loved saying Fuck and fucking alot, as well as bugger, shit, cunt, motherfucker, cocksucker, and asslicker.
Just like my uncle, Billy Connolley

I like '32 Coupes with Hemis, a Rat Rod type, thats my kind of car, real cruisy or Ferraris for that ultra smooth and fast speed kind of sureal experience that only flat plane crank can provide and nothing else.

so...either way a hearies will love me with a hot rod or an exotic...
I think is great what you want, but its like a white girl wishing and dreaming of marrying a black man and only to find out that...you had as much chance as anyone else to find a dud black man as would find a dud white man...so its a personality thing too ...as much as life chances...if not as much as 'society chances', as you see, peoples perception are 50 and 50 governed by what they are biologically comfortable with as reaction to seeing 'civilisations' and the other 50% is what they are 'conditioned' to know or sense to take chances...that can reduced likihood drastically or hieghtens in other occassions...depending on your innate set up of reaction. Its like this,
a compatiable black man as you'd might 'click with' is closer to how he depicts as a while man or closer than a white man (himself!) BUT.,,wiser might also mean...its a racist assumption to believe a good black man has to be more noble than an ordinary white man...weird but true, even hollywood are clever to portray this and yet disguise this intent at same time....So...a Deaf man might have to be 'a visual yet still perfectly sane or behaviourly correct (or more so than) a hearing man next to him...

im just saying all this..
its like
becareful what you wish for, and its also like half the time we dont know WHAT we actually wished for, the mind and spirit is a very mysterious thing in itself...

anyways i need more wine now
and ..
Happy New year in 2 days time!!

so Cheers

Last edited:
Hi all! I am a hearing 21 year old female but fluent in ASL. I'm curious what everyone thinks about mixing deaf and hearing in a relationship? I know it's not all that common, but oddly enough ever since I was a little girl I would tell my mom that I would marry a deaf man. I know that's weird, but whatever. I've seen a few relationships where one person was deaf and the other was not, but you don't see a lot of it.

Any thoughts?
I am 60 profoundly deaf for many years ,have been Married 5 times maybe because they were hearing? Just recently met a man hearing again seems different than others we will see?

It's not common for men, but it is very common for women. There are a lot of hearing impaired/deaf women who go out with hearing men because communication is very important to women. As far as numbers, it would be hard to know because those relationships don't always use sign so there are probably more than you think.

I think it can work, but it takes the right people and a lot of work. If you are willing to put in the effort, you can make it work. And, you'll have your pick of deaf men because there are a lot more single deaf/hoh men than women.

Good luck with it...

I am Deaf and married to a hearing man. Been married for 7 years now. My Deaf brother is engaged to a hearing woman. He has been with her for 3 years and they are happy.

Yes, both hearing SO are fluent in ASL.

(are you turbocharged or you saying you want to be derrik)...........
there more hearing people around than deaf so you going to meet more hearies,love comes along in all sort of ways rejoice it deaf or hearing man dont put yourself into one group it unhealthy

I guess it wasn't so much about "i'm going to fall in love with a deaf man because he's deaf".. it's more that i'm going to end up liking one for other characteristics, and the fact that he is deaf/ HoH is cool too. I think it takes the right type of person.. not someone that's just amazed with the language or their deafness. Know what I mean?

I've been involved in the deaf community since I was a little girl, and I don't find deafness to be any different than the hearing community. It's just another "thing".

I guess it wasn't so much about "i'm going to fall in love with a deaf man because he's deaf".. it's more that i'm going to end up liking one for other characteristics, and the fact that he is deaf/ HoH is cool too. I think it takes the right type of person.. not someone that's just amazed with the language or their deafness. Know what I mean?

I've been involved in the deaf community since I was a little girl, and I don't find deafness to be any different than the hearing community. It's just another "thing".

It's a lot different. If you have been involved so long, you should have noticed that.

fair enough

@bott, I have noticed that. I was just trying to explain myself to all the people that seem to need to put in their two sense. :)

@Caz, agreed. :)

I am 60 profoundly deaf for many years ,have been Married 5 times maybe because they were hearing? Just recently met a man hearing again seems different than others we will see?

:cool2: :hmm:...What are you smoking?....and before I would ever attempt another walk down the aisle...I'd ask myself..."after 5 Times...what the Hell have I been doing wrong these other 5 times"???

:wave:
It's not common for men, but it is very common for women. There are a lot of hearing impaired/deaf women who go out with hearing men because communication is very important to women. As far as numbers, it would be hard to know because those relationships don't always use sign so there are probably more than you think.

I think it can work, but it takes the right people and a lot of work. If you are willing to put in the effort, you can make it work. And, you'll have your pick of deaf men because there are a lot more single deaf/hoh men than women.

Good luck with it...
Is like too different worlds I know but still hoping may be this time is different D.... You would think I would learn! Oh well plan for the worst and Hope for the Best. Happy New Year may this year be a whole lot better than last.:laugh2:

:cool2: :hmm:...What are you smoking?....and before I would ever attempt another walk down the aisle...I'd ask myself..."after 5 Times...what the Hell have I been doing wrong these other 5 times"???
Only once was for LOve believe thats where I went wrong. If at first you don't succeed try try again. Your never too old to make more mistakes. The definition of stupid fit's I guess it's doing the same thing over and over again. The difference is this time if I find true love OK NO Marriage LOL

Only once was for LOve believe thats where I went wrong. If at first you don't succeed try try again. Your never too old to make more mistakes. The definition of stupid fit's I guess it's doing the same thing over and over again. The difference is this time if I find true love OK NO Marriage LOL

to each their own...but feel that I am old enuf to know not to make another stupid, messy and expensive divorse!...And after (you) being married 5 times....I would sit down and question myself as to why I kept getting married...and divorsing 5 times??.....Marriage to someone shouldn't be taken lightly...it's a commitment...good with the bad....True Love is very hard to find...and for those getting married and weathering the good and the bad for many years...kudos to them!

Nothing wrong with companionship tho'....some people are just better off being single. Knowing urself and ur true feelings....Good Luck to you!

to each their own...but feel that I am old enuf to know not to make another stupid, messy and expensive divorse!...And after (you) being married 5 times....I would sit down and question myself as to why I kept getting married...and divorsing 5 times??.....Marriage to someone shouldn't be taken lightly...it's a commitment...good with the bad....True Love is very hard to find...and for those getting married and weathering the good and the bad for many years...kudos to them!

Nothing wrong with companionship tho'....some people are just better off being single. Knowing urself and ur true feelings....Good Luck to you!

Not to criticize you or anything but my grandmother married 5 times before she found the right marriage with the 5th husband which lasted for almost 30 years before he passed away.

What I was really implying is that some people constantly make the same mistakes over and over....of course we're human and desire someone in our lives.

Then again, as a woman ages, even men...they becomes lonely and there are so many people that will play /prey upon that, giving false pretence, marrying for the $$$....It happened to a friend of mine....

Pre-nupes (nuptiles) are the way to go in my perspective.

What I was really implying is that some people constantly make the same mistakes over and over....of course we're human and desire someone in our lives.

Then again, as a woman ages, even men...they becomes lonely and there are so many people that will play /prey upon that, giving false pretence, marrying for the $$$....It happened to a friend of mine....

Pre-nupes (nuptiles) are the way to go in my perspective.

I know about the same mistakes over and over again. However, it would suck to be lonely but thats just me.

My grandma just could NOT be alone. About 2 months after her 5th hubby died, she got into a serious relationship and has been in it for 3 years now. I am surprised she didnt marry him.

Back