Thinking about Gallaudet next year...

Smaller schools generally have more success, that is part of the reason. Gallaudet is very expensive, and federally funded, therefore we have a Right to expect more. As an alumnus, It benefits you for GU to maintain a strong reputation as well.

Probably because you were a good student and applied yourself. I never said GU alums were unemployable. In fact, one of my friends is a GU alum and he has been very successful in the private sector.

And you are well within your rights to do so. However, my opinion is well researched including many interviews. The general consensus was that Gallaudet needs a massive overhaul. They LOVE GU but they are unhappy with the way things are going there currently.

I don't know that I look up to any "hearing people who flaunt their money." I am glad they are successful. IBM is a great place to work.

Yes, many campuses are having safety issues now. It's a shame.

U look up to a lot of hearing people but I dont recall you looking up to a deaf person. Call me mean but I am just stating what I see from your posts.

Glad that you are supportive of your friends who graduated from Gallaudet but your posts imply that you are more supportive of mainstreaming vs. deaf programs.

If that is how you feel, thats your right but pls just state it out instead of all these indirect messages.

I lived in Springhill Lake apts in Greenbelt while I was a Gallaudet student and it was near the Greenbelt Metro Station. Even having a nice car, I chose to take the bus to the Metro station to go to Union Station to get on the bus to Galllaudet. Not once did I have a problem with anyone in any of these areas and the Springhill Lake apt area by the metro station was notorious for crime at the time.

It is all about taking as much safety steps as one can.

My point is...crime is everywhere. Look at the Connecticut shootings. If one wants to single Gallaudet out as a crime-infested area, then one has to accept that nice areas like Newtown, CO can have horrific crimes happen as well.

It sucks and I wish it wasnt this way. We all have just to use our best judgement and just go on with our lives to the best as we can. By living in fear, it will decrease our quality of life.

I admit when I first moved to DC to go to Gallaudet, I was terrified of the area around it. Looking back ,it was more of a culture shock coming from Phoenix, AZ out in the desert to inner city in DC.

After 6 months, I got used to it and didnt even give it a second thought. I had always locked my car while driving and that habit was brought with me to DC.

Wow, my father went to Greenbelt and around PGC in 1970's, it was most white population, except for PGC closer to DC, so it changed a lot today.

Correction: Newtown, CT (not CO)

Yup, the crime happen anywhere, however some area may have more common crimes than other area, so I believe that security/safety is important.

I found that driving on interstate highway is more fright than walking on street because I almost got shot by crazed, reckless driver in Alabama, so hadn't any problem with interstate highway in DC metro.

U look up to a lot of hearing people but I dont recall you looking up to a deaf person. Call me mean but I am just stating what I see from your posts.

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Glad that you are supportive of your friends who graduated from Gallaudet but your posts imply that you are more supportive of mainstreaming vs. deaf programs.

If that is how you feel, thats your right but pls just state it out instead of all these indirect messages.

I think I have been very clear on this. That being said, Gallaudet exists and my taxes help fund it, therefore I have the right to demand that the school maintains high standards.

I have no idea what you mean by this.

I think I have been very clear on this. That being said, Gallaudet exists and my taxes help fund it, therefore I have the right to demand that the school maintains high standards.

hmm... sounds like thousands of schools should too... including your daughter's college. all are receiving federal funds/aids...

hmm... sounds like thousands of schools should too... including your daughter's college. all are receiving federal funds/aids...

Yup and my university (UAB) too.

let me say this once, SMOKING WEED IS NOT A CRIME< it SHOULD BE LEGALISED. then as for the rest of this thread following Foxrac's rant, about fundings and whatnot i can't follow becuase those American ideas of federal, private fundings are just too foreign for me, and I dont care, because I sure as hell arent gonna go to this baby-sitting uni

let me say this once, SMOKING WEED IS NOT A CRIME< it SHOULD BE LEGALISED. then as for the rest of this thread following Foxrac's rant, about fundings and whatnot i can't follow becuase those American ideas of federal, private fundings are just too foreign for me, and I dont care, because I sure as hell arent gonna go to this baby-sitting uni

Well said...kudos to Grummer!...ya go, frat boy!...

You are not understanding about what I was saying. I said "SELLING WEEDS" to others are crime, so it is fact under law and smoking weeds are federal crime too. Don't point at me, because that's law. I'm not interested to break the law and serve in the jail.

Excuse me, you are talking to wrong person - I'm not talking about funding. :)

You are not understanding about what I was saying. I said "SELLING WEEDS" to others are crime, so it is fact under law and smoking weeds are federal crime too. Don't point at me, because that's law. I'm not interested to break the law and serve in the jail.

Excuse me, you are talking to wrong person - I'm not talking about funding. :)

you're still naive

naive, cus you're a weed-frigid, who cares if its illegal, speeding is illegal, hell even FUCKING in a NON-MISSIONARY position in Washington DC is ILLEGAL !!!, this is a state of Prunes

naive, cus you're a weed-frigid, who cares if its illegal, speeding is illegal, hell even FUCKING in a NON-MISSIONARY position in Washington DC is ILLEGAL !!!, this is a state of Prunes

The speeding is illegal for sure, but they don't carry same penalty as weeds. In DC, outside of medical, smoking weeds is crime and they are punishable with jail, however selling weeds are more severe. The penalty for speeding is ticket, except for extreme cases - jail time. I don't speeding nor smoke the weeds.

I'm not interested in recreational drugs, except for medical purpose. I'm not sure about label me as frigid - I don't agree with existing drug law and I support to relax the drug laws, especially for weeds. There is big problem is the politicians and we have get them to relax it. I have advice for you - follow the law, that all you need, however it don't apply to you because you are in New Zealand.

You need ask me about my view on drugs before make a bad assumption.

so, you're saying we dont have drug laws in NZ?? LOL, geee now that's very presumptionous

I dont smoke weed,
I dont miss it because I value my memory for sake of study. Young students can do whatever they like, and..most of them only want to study , past a degree or diploma and leave. then grow up...

i dont need to 'ask you' lol, its clear you say it aloud in here already what's your view on drugs or whatever, so stop being so unneccessarily defensive.
like i said, I DONT CARE, but i care when someone goes mental and rant like 20 posts, trying to sound like a politician , that's were it surely annoying.
Move on

so, you're saying we dont have drug laws in NZ?? LOL, geee now that's very presumptionous

I dont smoke weed,
I dont miss it because I value my memory for sake of study. Young students can do whatever they like, and..most of them only want to study , past a degree or diploma and leave. then grow up...

i dont need to 'ask you' lol, its clear you say it aloud in here already what's your view on drugs or whatever, so stop being so unneccessarily defensive.
like i said, I DONT CARE, but i care when someone goes mental and rant like 20 posts, trying to sound like a politician , that's were it surely annoying.
Move on

No, I said that US drug law don't apply to you because you live in different country and I have no knowledge about laws in New Zealand.

Sorry, I'm not politician, so I was debate about quality of education and metro stations. If you find my posts are annoying - don't pay attention, though.

I am thinking about being a "visiting student" at Gallaudet for a semester. Does anyone go there that could tell me things they like and don't like about it?

I say, Go for it! What do you have to lose if you do go to Gallaidet? I think you will be gaining a lot of personal growth there at Gallaudet with ton of diversity, total immersion of ASL and you would be meeting different interesting people there across from the globe.

I was a former Gallaudet student and I loved the diversity there. Granted, it isn't in the best part of the city but if you use your common sense, you'll do just fine there. From what I know, Gallaudet will be adding Pre-Medical, Pre-Law, and other 2 programs (I forgot what other 2 are) within the next 2-4 years.

It'll be rough in the beginning but if you perserve through it, it'll get better in the end. Good Luck on your decision! :)

Back