Thinking about Gallaudet next year...

Again, my 2 cents, Gallaudet has a wonderful past, but that (IMO) has changed dramatically. I believe the "leadership" has divided the campus in a way that is not conducive to learning. I don't believe the students leave the school with competitive skills anymore.

It is very different now...H Street is a totally different street than when you and I went to Gallaudet. It went under a major rennovation and now is a popular area in DC to visit. Also, other parts in the area are improving..all because of the new Metro station by Gallaudet.

Yup, I agreed, I was one person went to H Street under era, that's different from you and FF, so there are many good restaurants. There were great festivals on H Street with many interpreters and it was really crowded.

I had been robbed at twice, that happened on residential street and it is discouraged to walk alone between metro station and Gallaudet during night, but no issue if you go in group or wait for bus to get from metro station to Gallaudet.

Speaking about safety around metro station, there is misconception about make area worse because of metro station. There are many cities with metro stations and there are no change in crime rate, whenever is influenced by public transportation.

Again, my 2 cents, Gallaudet has a wonderful past, but that (IMO) has changed dramatically. I believe the "leadership" has divided the campus in a way that is not conducive to learning. I don't believe the students leave the school with competitive skills anymore.

The education at Gallaudet is much improved than 20 years ago (during King Jordan era - 1988 to 2006). The new president kicked in 4 years ago and changed a lot in education. It is hard for professors to become tenured and more easier to fire professors if they don't their job and poor evaluation. The education at Gallaudet are designed for students who are fluent in ASL and they can learn so well - that's different from hearing universities, so Gallaudet is conductive to learning because they are university and they support students to find the employment after graduation.

I don't hold anyone's opinion as valid, whoever never went to Gallaudet before and you have to attend to get full experience with deaf university.

Speaking about safety around metro station, there is misconception about make area worse because of metro station. There are many cities with metro stations and there are no change in crime rate, whenever is influenced by public transportation.

You might want to do more research. And if you do, you might want to focus on studies that compare similar neighborhoods and demographics and give special consideration to the type of neighborhood Gallaudet is in.

That being said, safety is not the reason I would avoid going to Gallaudet.

The education at Gallaudet is much improved than 20 years ago (during King Jordan era - 1988 to 2006). The new president kicked in 4 years ago and changed a lot in education. It is hard for professors to become tenured and more easier to fire professors if they don't their job and poor evaluation. The education at Gallaudet are designed for students who are fluent in ASL and they can learn so well - that's different from hearing universities, so Gallaudet is conductive to learning because they are university and they support students to find the employment after graduation.

I don't hold anyone's opinion as valid, whoever never went to Gallaudet before and you have to attend to get full experience with deaf university.

That is your choice. I have been researching Gallaudet for months and I disagree with you.

I might add that an outside, unbiased opinion (like mine) is more likely to be accurate.

You might want to do more research. And if you do, you might want to focus on studies that compare similar neighborhoods and demographics and give special consideration to the type of neighborhood Gallaudet is in.

That being said, safety is not the reason I would avoid going to Gallaudet.

You stated that metro station make area worse, that's typically anti-public transportation movement, anti-subway movement to oppose the subway because of concern with crime rate, that's very politically charged because they won't fund the plan.

I'm done with research about neighborhood around Gallaudet and they are MUCH BETTER than in 20 years ago, so it is very big change from Florida Ave to H Street. The crime does happen anywhere, so only difference is less than before.

You stated that metro station make area worse, that's typically anti-public transportation movement, anti-subway movement to oppose the subway because of concern with crime rate, that's very politically charged because they won't fund the plan.

I'm done with research about neighborhood around Gallaudet and they are MUCH BETTER than in 20 years ago, so it is very big change from Florida Ave to H Street. The crime does happen anywhere, so only difference is less than before.

1) Politics are off limits.

2) :cool2: Where did I say it wasn't?

That is your choice. I have been researching Gallaudet for months and I disagree with you.

I might add that an outside, unbiased opinion (like mine) is more likely to be accurate.

Your disagree has nothing with my statement because you never went to Gallaudet before and you have to go there to get full experience. My statement about Gallaudet is accurate, reflective to big changes at Gallaudet under new presidency.

Unbiased opinion? Not really, I found your opinion about Gallaudet is VERY biased opinion and you don't accept to take the statement about improvement, so you only look at negative and obtained the old information from 10-20 years ago, that's during King Jordan era).

Your disagree has nothing with my statement because you never went to Gallaudet before and you have to go there to get full experience. My statement about Gallaudet is accurate, reflective to big changes at Gallaudet under new presidency.

Unbiased opinion? Not really, I found your opinion about Gallaudet is VERY biased opinion and you don't accept to take the statement about improvement, so you only look at negative and obtained the old information from 10-20 years ago, that's during King Jordan era).

You are entitled to your opinion. Again, I disagree. Perhaps you should move on.

But, you are correct about one thing. I don't accept claims that Gallaudet has improved. In fact, I believe the quality of education has declined at Gallaudet for the most part.

Well, your discussion about between crime rate and public transportation are politically charged.

Nope, your assumption is incorrect. Again, perhaps you should move on.

You are entitled to your opinion. Again, I disagree. Perhaps you should move on.

That's not my opinion at most part, especially education. The education at Gallaudet is unique, very different from hearing universities because strong based with ASL. The education at Gallaudet wasn't easy or cheaper as some people thought.

Good luck with your statement about Gallaudet and I suggest future students to not take from anybody who never went to Gallaudet. I have experience with Gallaudet and love to share with anybody.

Nope, your assumption is incorrect. Again, perhaps you should move on.

It is easier for you to ignore my post instead of ask me to move on.

There is not much thing to discuss because political discussion isn't allowed, so I rest my case.

To the OP, I would research the McCaskill situation and the players we hind that situation. Many of the deficiencies were exposed during that scandal. Still more problems are being revealed with the Molly Sachs arrest. My advice to you would be to do your research while remembering that alumni are going to be pretty biased in their opinion of their school. Which is understandable. BUT, look at what the alumni are actually putting back into the school compared to other schools. Money talks.

Best advice, keep in mind that college is about the future, not the present.

It is easier for you to ignore my post instead of ask me to move on.

There is not much thing to discuss because political discussion isn't allowed, so I rest my case.

:cool2: But keep in mind that just because a topic may be political, that doesn't mean that a person is commenting from that perspective.

In fact, arguing from the perspective you are suggesting would be counter to opinions I have expressed here in the past. Namely, that I LIKE public transportation.

That's not my opinion at most part, especially education. The education at Gallaudet is unique, very different from hearing universities because strong based with ASL. The education at Gallaudet wasn't easy or cheaper as some people thought.

Good luck with your statement about Gallaudet and I suggest future students to not take from anybody who never went to Gallaudet. I have experience with Gallaudet and love to share with anybody.

No doubt that the education at Gallaudet is unique. No doubt at all.

I had a blast at Gallaudet. so its your call. :)

Yup, it is dishonest to argue about college that never went before, in my opinion and I never went to RIT/NTID before, so not going to argue to favor or against for RIT/NTID until I become student, however I could state about concern or questionnaire so students can feel free to answer.

I have fun time with Gallaudet but my medical condition prevented me from continuing the Gallaudet, so I was expected to graduate. :(

To the OP, I would research the McCaskill situation and the players we hind that situation. Many of the deficiencies were exposed during that scandal. Still more problems are being revealed with the Molly Sachs arrest. My advice to you would be to do your research while remembering that alumni are going to be pretty biased in their opinion of their school. Which is understandable. BUT, look at what the alumni are actually putting back into the school compared to other schools. Money talks.

Best advice, keep in mind that college is about the future, not the present.

The universities have scandal and many problems, since Gallaudet isn't alone to have those situation (See Penn State), so any scandal or problem can occur in anytime.

Back