The world's second-ever octuplets were born

It sure is interesting. Thanks for the link. :ty:

This was an especially interesting paragraph:

It makes me wonder a couple of things.

1. What kind of counseling will she give people? (Would anyone want her to counsel their daughters about having babies?!)

2. If she hurt her back so badly that she can't work, how could she expect to carry a multi-baby pregnancy without problems? As all women who have been pregnant know, even one baby in the womb can cause a lot of strain on your back.

And this really fries me:

"I'll stop my life for them and be present with them. And hold them. And be with them. And how many parents do that?"

The reason many parents can't spend all their time with their children is because they're working hard to support them! Of course she can spend all her time with her kids; she doesn't have to go to a job each day. It's the other moms and dads who are working that are supporting her kids! :mad:

Then she says, "Reflecting back on my childhood, I know it wasn't functional."

Um, if her childhood was so dysfunctional, why is she letting the same dysfunctional parents that raised her, now raise her children? That doesn't make any sense.

I guess she is doing it out of selfishness......

Doesn't mean she has to jeopardize her health and the health of her kids....
I think she's full of baloney. How could she still be "lonely" with the six children that she already had? Most mothers would be screaming for some privacy at that point.

I think she's full of baloney. How could she still be "lonely" with the six children that she already had? Most mothers would be screaming for some privacy at that point.

Only a psychologist/psychiatrist would be able to tell us.....

Maybe she wants to be " 'Mother Hubbard' in a Shoe"......:giggle:

I guess she is doing it out of selfishness......
Or some serious mental problem, in which case what's wrong with her doctor for not catching that?

I wonder if she used a doctor south of the border?

Only a psychologist/psychiatrist would be able to tell us.....

Maybe she wants to be " 'Mother Hubbard' in a Shoe"......:giggle:
Ha, ha. I think you mean this one:

THERE WAS AN OLD WOMAN
There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.
She had so many children she didn’t know what to do.
She gave them some broth without any bread.
She whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.

Old Mother Hubbard had a dog, not children. :P

I saw the mom on TV today. She looks like she's had plastic surgery. I wonder who paid for that?

Anyway, during the interview, she said that she wanted babies because she was lonely growing up as an only child.

This woman has some serious issues.

You know, she admitted that she was in constant pain and depressed, and blamed the break-up of her marraige on that fact. If she is in too much pain and too depressed to maintain a marraige, how in the world is she going to have the fortitude to mother 14 children aged 7 and under?

Likewise, one doesn't come to terms with their past by trying to recreate it in a different way in the present. If her childhood was so dysfunctional, and I'm skeptical about that claim, given that she has told a different story to a couple of doctors, she needs to deal with those issues within herself in order to become a more functional adult. It looks to me as if she is using a dysfunctional childhood as an excuse for her dysfunctional adult behavior.

The good news is, even though she may have completed some of the coursework for counseling, doesn't mean she will ever complete it, not does it mean that she will ever achieve licensure. And, at the master's level, she would not be able to practice independently, and would have to be under direct supervision of an experienced counselor or agency. Frankly, I don't see that she will ever be able to complete the coursework and internships necessary to get a license.

Or some serious mental problem, in which case what's wrong with her doctor for not catching that?

I wonder if she used a doctor south of the border?

Its also possible that he/she did pick up on her problems, but could not share his concerns with the fertility clinic because of confidentiality. This would really present an ethical dilema for someone in the psychiatric/psychology field. Her tdoc may very well have advised her against getting pregnant, and she ignored his advise. Tdocs also function under the ethical concept of autonomy, which means that even though we know that a patient is in need for a particular problem, we cannot force that treatment on them.

Obviously, she needs some spot lights from the media.

Its also possible that he/she did pick up on her problems, but could not share his concerns with the fertility clinic because of confidentiality. This would really present an ethical dilema for someone in the psychiatric/psychology field. Her tdoc may very well have advised her against getting pregnant, and she ignored his advise. Tdocs also function under the ethical concept of autonomy, which means that even though we know that a patient is in need for a particular problem, we cannot force that treatment on them.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the fertility clinic doctor who performed the in vitro procedure. When he interviewed her, I wonder why he didn't pick up on her mental health issues, especially since she used the same clinic each time. At some point he should have said, "no more!"

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the fertility clinic doctor who performed the in vitro procedure. When he interviewed her, I wonder why he didn't pick up on her mental health issues, especially since she used the same clinic each time. At some point he should have said, "no more!"

I agree with you there. The doctor acted in ways that are in conflict with ethical standards and standards of practice.

If I am not mistaken, she was subjected to at least one psychological evaluation prior to implantation, but I'm really not sure if it was just prior to the first implantation, or if she had separate evals before each procedure. Either way, something definately was missed.

I was just reading some more about the mother's statements on CNN. She seems to think that a career in counseling is going to make her rich. :rofl2:

Evidently, she wasn't paying too close of attention in her classes, because one of the first things they tell you is, "If you are in it to make money, you are in the wrong field. You will be underpaid and overworked."

I was just reading some more about the mother's statements on CNN. She seems to think that a career in counseling is going to make her rich. :rofl2:

Evidently, she wasn't paying too close of attention in her classes, because one of the first things they tell you is, "If you are in it to make money, you are in the wrong field. You will be underpaid and overworked."
Yeah, I didn't get how a single mom with lots of little kids could get by on her income alone, especially since she won't even begin working for several years. She hasn't even got her degree yet. She claims that she is a mom first, so presumably she won't even go back to school or get a full time job until all her kids are in school. Then, she'll begin this high-paying career?

Has she not noticed that other families of multiples who have both parents (with at least one working full time), supportive family, friends and community, and commercial sponsorship, still struggle?

Yeah, I didn't get how a single mom with lots of little kids could get by on her income alone, especially since she won't even begin working for several years. She hasn't even got her degree yet. She claims that she is a mom first, so presumably she won't even go back to school or get a full time job until all her kids are in school. Then, she'll begin this high-paying career?

Has she not noticed that other families of multiples who have both parents (with at least one working full time), supportive family, friends and community, and commercial sponsorship, still struggle?

Evidently, she didn't do a lot of research into other families with multiples before she made her decision. It's a shame that she didn't. It doesn't look like she did a lot of research into the beginning salaries of master level counselors, either.

think she was expecting millions to sell her story as well as a reality show. show like the Duggars and the other couple with 8 kids

think she was expecting millions to sell her story as well as a reality show. show like the Duggars and the other couple with 8 kids
Probably. Book deals, paid interviews, TV show, etc. Exploit the kids that she "loves" so much.

Mother of the Year material, eh?

I seen the news as well too. I know some people will say it crazy to have 5, 6 , 7 or 8 babies to carry that many babies inside a woman. But it the woman's business if she want to have that many babies it really up to her. We can't judge her business. But if I were in her shoe, I would not want the world to put their nose in my business if I were pregnant with more than one babies inside me. It takes a strong woman to go through something like this and yes I do believe there are always going to be risks invovled to the mother and the baby or more than one baby to carry. Life is always about risks. Even if a mother carry one baby inside it still a risk no matter what. But I have to say she is brave to go through something like that. :)

Two eptopic pregnancies
According to state documents, Suleman told a doctor she had three miscarriages. Another doctor disputed that number, saying she had two ectopic pregnancies, a dangerous condition in which a fertilized egg implants somewhere other than in the uterus.

What happens in an ectopic pregnancy? Does it mean she would lose the embryo/fetus because of where it is placed.

What happens in an ectopic pregnancy? Does it mean she would lose the embryo/fetus because of where it is placed.

The fertilized egg isn't in the uterus. It can attach itself in the fallopian tubes which can be detrimental to the mother's health.

Back