The Deaf Community

Should the Deaf community accept hearing people calling deafness defective or that Deaf people need to improve themselves by getting CIs or seeking a cure.? Or that we should assimilate in the hearing world fully>
If so, why?

If not, why not?

For me...NO...because we have the right to be comfortable with our deafness and be respected as contributing citizens to this country. No, we may not live our lives the hearing way but as long as we are contributing to society, why complain about us wanting to stay in the Deaf community and using ASL as our language?

Nope. Why should we have to learn to speak with them when it is far easier for them to learn sign language (ASL, SEE, PSE)??? That really galls me. Why should they refuse to learn sign language and make us learn to speak, wearing hearing aids/CI?? The worst part is that some deaf kids/adults have died from meningitis. Why should we literally risk our life to learn to speak so they don't have to sign????

I have learned to speak but my own family don't learn sign language. Well, the females in my family have taken a sign language class or two but that was when I was in a private school in the next state. They need to use them or lose them. They lost them. I am tired of hearing them telling me that family come first but I don't feel that they have taken care of my needs when I have took care of their needs by learning to speak.

Who are "your" people? 33% of my immediate family is Deaf, what about yours?

I dare one person to find a single post by Grendel or me that says that Hearing is better than Deaf.

You don't have to say it out loud or in print --- it is implied in your deeds.

Alright, how about you being not closed minded and being open to the possibility that ASL is not necessarily for ALL of the deaf people...?

Maybe the late deafened don't need to learn sign language if they decided on CI. The young deaf babies and kids sure do need ASL. They need to be able to develop a language.

Maybe the late deafened don't need to learn sign language if they decided on CI. The young deaf babies and kids sure do need ASL. They need to be able to develop a language.

Bingo. The issues experienced by the late deafened are not the same as the prelingually deaf child.

Well, doesn't that kind of speak for itself that there are indeed some disadvantages of being in a deaf-only community?

What?????

I can think of several examples of disadvantages of a hearing being in hearing-only community. They would complain of noises from next door. They would complain of the noises from cars on a busy street (or there won't be a sound barriers at some streets). If they work at nights, they would complain about noises during their sleep in daytime. I can go on and on....

How did you become fluent in ASL? (Over what period of time, what route did you take)

Retracting your baseless accusation would be one step. We all make mistakes, I'm no exception, and I'm pretty forgiving.

I stepped out of the fray and I probably am doing myself no favors here by coming back in, but, what the heck.

My statement wasn't baseless. You grilled me to see what my ASL skills were, therefore, questioning my validity for being here. That's what it seemed like to me. If I'm mistaken, then please tell me why you felt the need to question me?

I stepped out of the fray and I probably am doing myself no favors here by coming back in, but, what the heck.

My statement wasn't baseless. You grilled me to see what my ASL skills were, therefore, questioning my validity for being here. That's what it seemed like to me. If I'm mistaken, then please tell me why you felt the need to question me?

I did not grill you to see what your ASL skills were. In fact, I have assumed you were a hearing person who became fluent, given your statements in this thread and others.

I have been on a continuing quest to become fluent, and to find best practices for other parents given that I am often asked by the many other parents who are considering a CI for their children and are intrigued by the possibility of bilingual education, how it's possible to provide both ASL and spoken English in the home. I have asked nearly everyone I've encountered how they became fluent or how they are working towards it.

You are being unnecessarily confrontational and very offensive by accusing me of "grilling" you and saying that I've demanded that you justify your existence on this forum because I asked you -- very simply -- "How did you become fluent in ASL? (Over what period of time, what route did you take)." In itself, AND in context, read back and see just how paranoid you are being and how much of an apology you owe me.

You don't have to say it out loud or in print --- it is implied in your deeds.

Sending my child to a bi-bi school for the deaf, raising her with ASL as her primary language (as has Faire Jour done with Miss Kat), inculcating her in deaf culture: are these the deeds with which you think I'm implying hearing is better than deaf?

Thanks a whole lot OB, really appreciate the smear.

Sending my child to a bi-bi school for the deaf, raising her with ASL as her primary language (as has Faire Jour done with Miss Kat), inculcating her in deaf culture: are these the deeds with which you think I'm implying hearing is better than deaf?

Thanks a whole lot OB, really appreciate the smear.

OB as in Oceanbreeze???? I am not OB. I am Buffalo.

OB as in Oceanbreeze???? I am not OB. I am Buffalo.

Buffalo, do you really think my family's actions -- sending our child first to an ASL daycare and then transporting her nearly 4 hours a day to a bi-bi school for the deaf, learning and using ASL in our home, raising her with ASL as her primary language, inculcating her in deaf culture -- imply that hearing is better than deaf?

Or are you basing your assumption on what my beliefs are on the nasty and ill-informed accusation that OceanBreeze has made in this thread?

:gpost: :gpost:

I agree with you. :cool:

What?????

I can think of several examples of disadvantages of a hearing being in hearing-only community. They would complain of noises from next door. They would complain of the noises from cars on a busy street (or there won't be a sound barriers at some streets). If they work at nights, they would complain about noises during their sleep in daytime. I can go on and on....

That is why I put my signature underline which indicate that it is still awesome to be deaf as I am glad that I don't have to follow with their hearing environment every time the hearing person make expression like almost close their eyes and kind of cower their shoulder that the noises is too much to bear and they can not stand the noises. SILENCE IS GOLDEN. Deafness is a lot better than hearing. :cool2:

Buffalo, do you really think my family's actions -- sending our child first to an ASL daycare and then transporting her nearly 4 hours a day to a bi-bi school for the deaf, learning and using ASL in our home, raising her with ASL as her primary language, inculcating her in deaf culture -- imply that hearing is better than deaf?

Or are you basing your assumption on what my beliefs are on the nasty and ill-informed accusation that OceanBreeze has made in this thread?

It is the way OB expressed us with her statements which we happen to agree with her. She understand our deaf perspective. She is hearing, but she is a wheelchair person and knows what she had to put up with. The able bodied people want her to walk as normal so they might try to "fix" her but she did not accept that. She understand that we just want to be the way we are, not to get "fix". If it was a very serious disease or emergency that could disrupt her life and she need to survive, then the doctors can try to "fix" if not her legs to help her to live. :hmm:

And yes, we need ASL all the time. That is our Deaf Culture as we are deaf, even if we have different hearing degrees. :cool2:

It is the way OB expressed us with her statements which we happen to agree with her. She understand our deaf perspective. She is hearing, but she is a wheelchair person and knows what she had to put up with. The able bodied people want her to walk as normal so they might try to "fix" her but she did not accept that. She understand that we just want to be the way we are, not to get "fix". If it was a very serious disease or emergency that could disrupt her life and she need to survive, then the doctors can try to "fix" if not her legs to help her to live. :hmm:

And yes, we need ASL all the time. That is our Deaf Culture as we are deaf, even if we have different hearing degrees. :cool2:

You are correct about that. For a time, I walked with braces/crutches, but it became a strain on me once I became a pre-teen. I enjoyed walking while young, but once it became a chore, I hated it. I begged my parents to allow me to stop using my braces/crutches. My physical therapists and Dr's kicked up a HELL of a fuss, but, my parents listened to me! Granted, it took awhile; about two years. But, I became fully wheelchair bound BY choice at the age of 11. I also have NOT looked back. I do not miss walking, because, it wasn't actually walking under my own power. The braces were cumbersome and hurt me. It wasn't easy, so, we did the realistic thing for me.

I also would like to add that the majority of people I know with spina bifida ALSO give up their braces/crutches by the time they reach their teen years. There are a few who don't, but the majority do.

It's not the same, nor is it as crucial as communication is, but it does give me an appreciation for what the deaf have chosen for themselves. Not all deaf, perhaps, but many.

It is the way OB expressed us with her statements which we happen to agree with her.

Bebonang, this issue isn't about the deaf perspective. OB is accusing me of grilling her about her ASL ability and demanding that she justify her existence on this site. I did no such thing, and don't know why she is accusing me of doing this and attacking me. For one thing, as someone who has only been learning ASL for a few years, I'd have no basis for claiming someone else doesn't have enough ASL. For another, there are many on this forum who don't use ASL, and I don't think knowledge of ASL is a requirement to be part of this site, so I wouldn't push OB away for that reason. And last, I'm hearing. Why on earth would I suggest that other hearing people shouldn't be here?

I'm thinking that Ocean Breeze has confused me with someone else and I'm not happy that she's claiming that I've attacked her, when I haven't. I could understand if it was a simple mistake, but she continues to claim some attack.

Bebonang, this issue isn't about the deaf perspective. OB is accusing me of grilling her about her ASL ability and demanding that she justify her existence on this site. I did no such thing, and don't know why she is accusing me of doing this and attacking me. For one thing, as someone who has only been learning ASL for a few years, I'd have no basis for claiming someone else doesn't have enough ASL. For another, there are many on this forum who don't use ASL, and I don't think knowledge of ASL is a requirement to be part of this site, so I wouldn't push OB away for that reason. And last, I'm hearing. Why on earth would I suggest that other hearing people shouldn't be here?

I'm thinking that Ocean Breeze has confused me with someone else and I'm not happy that she's claiming that I've attacked her, when I haven't. I could understand if it was a simple mistake, but she continues to claim some attack.

It most certainly is about the deaf perspective. We were/are discussing the deaf community in this thread. Being that is the case, there is no getting around the deaf perspective. Something a hearing person; any hearing person can only half understand. I fully admit that I have no first hand knowledge of what it's like to be deaf. But, I can certainly try my best to put myself in someone elses' shoes and I know what it's like to feel left out of things.

As for being attacked, I didn't say you did. I said you grilled me on my ASL knowledge and it seemed as though you were questioning my validity for being here. That bugged me, but oh well. Life goes on.

As for smearing you, don't know what that's about. I've said already that I fully support the use of ASL, and, a full toolbox approach. This includes bi/bi education. The ONLY thing I'm against is oral only. That's it.

I've spent the majority of this thread defending my beliefs against two hearing parents of deaf children. I find that ironic considering there's a myriad of deaf on here who could be questioning me, but aren't. There's only been one. I really find that a strange irony.

Ahh, I said it all now. I stand by my beliefs and what I've learned from those I've come to respect. To those, I bow to. To others, I'll just say we can disagree. Life's too short to get all twisted up over a debate such as this. The oral only VS ASL debate will rage on. It's truly my hope that the deaf and hearing can one day come together, but, judging from what I've seen the last six years I've been on this forum, we've got a long way to go before that happens.

Good night, folks.

I said you grilled me on my ASL knowledge and it seemed as though you were questioning my validity for being here.

I did not. And I'm really not happy that you keep insisting that I did.

I've spent the majority of this thread defending my beliefs against two hearing parents of deaf children.

You've named me as one of these hearing parents who have attacked you on thread before, so I'm assuming you mean me again here, and I'd like to know what beliefs of yours I've attacked in this thread. I don't recall engaging in a debate with you.

Knowing OB as I do, the above bolded statement can be judged to be completely untrue and innaccurate an assessment.

However, given your last statement, it could easily be assumed that you hold your own particular bias, as you have virtually no comparison base. One always believes that what they have is superior...until they are exposed to something else that offers them far more advantages.
FYI, I was exposed all aspects of the deaf culture, that is deaf, Deaf, hearing-impaired, HOH, CI, etc...

It's not the same, nor is it as crucial as communication is, but it does give me an appreciation for what the deaf have chosen for themselves. Not all deaf, perhaps, but many.
And many of the deaf are choosing the CI route for themselves. Even some of the culturally deaf...

Back