The Deaf Community

I also had a similiar humiliating experience in school. I had just started a new school. Spelling was my favourite (Australian/UK spelling) subject. In my previous school I was the top speller in my class. However, in the new school I was degraded to the lowest grade spelling book just because the teacher rattled off the words like a machine-gun and I couldn't catch even half of them. I was also tested on my ability to spell out loudly (something I still struggle with today) yet, get me to put pen to paper and there is a stark contrast. My comprehension and vocabulary actually exceeded the highest grade spelling book.

To think that many of us deaf become reliant on reading to help us through the day, yet there is that miscontrued perception from the hearing that we can only read at a '3rd grade level'. Ha! There are too many articles out there about the low standard of linguistic and cognitive ability in deaf children/adults that are too far from the truth.

BTW, most idioms are learned out of school.

In this day and age, ignorance is no longer bliss.

wow! who knew people would argue with a deaf person that a book is too hard for them to read. I heard of parents arguing with their kids about sexual or spiritual books, but never about books that are too hard. Weird. If the book is too hard, deaf people can figure that out themselves.. I did argue with my teachers about putting me in English special eduation English class when I was in 7th, and they told me they don't have a choice because they don't want me to fail. I don't know why it mean I had to stay there until high school ... it is like a 3 years contract or something. But still, no one argued with me about a book being too hard (but on the other hand, the English class materials did seem very elementary to me, I crave more).

I had the same thing. My school wouldn't allow me read books I wanted to read, I had to read easy books. I had to read books from kindergarden in 5th and 6th grade in primary school!!

I had the same thing. My school wouldn't allow me read books I wanted to read, I had to read easy books. I had to read books from kindergarden in 5th and 6th grade in primary school!!

Just goes to show how incorrect their assessment of your abilities were. That is something I was discussing in another thread.

Back