The Deaf Community

I had to bring up and push the pursuit of a CI, no medical personnel I encountered -- until I actively got a referral to an ENT with experience in CIs -- even brought it up, which is sort of odd, in retrospect.

But I ask, because my dad and mother in law were/are both severely HOH (very late deafened) and over decades, they had never come across anything BUT the medical perspective. Both hated their hearing aids passionately, but considered it a medical necessity, like taking bitter medicine. They had no knowledge that there even was a Deaf culture or another perspective. Both were very surprised/baffled when my husband and I gave very serious consideration to NOT getting CIs for my daughter while we were weighing options.

[updated to note that neither, however, had even heard of CIs before our research began, and I had only heard a brief mention on a radio program, but had no idea what a CI did, for whom it could be useful, or how it worked].

That's how it was with me too. I was only informed from the medical perspective and was not informed that the Deaf community and culture even existed. As a preteen after my first audiology test, I was told "You are HoH but not Deaf" I am severely deaf. Yet, they marvelled that I was able to respond and said I must speech-read well (which I do).

As an adult, I recently had another audiology test, no change in the results but I left with more understanding of my situation. The most powerful HAs they have on the market (and the most expensive I might add) only just reach my level of db. One db more and they would be rendered useless. What a ripoff!!

Audiologists also don't tell you the difficulties you may encounter wearing hearing aids (such as frequent infections, chaffing, irritation/headaches from noise distortion, battery problems and blockage etc., they are more interested in making a sale to get their share of commission.

People need to be educated more about the options available that are not medically related.

About a month ago I had a high fever and a really bad ear infection. As a result I have lost hearing in my left ear. My right ear is not completely deaf but not functioning at its optimum. There is nothing wrong with the cochlea the ear drum is no longer functioning. I actually really don't want any implants, I have been learning sign language. I have been embracing the change because it has actually made some aspects of my life easier.

Sounds like you don't qualify for cochlear implants and what botts said sounds like a better option than Baha implants.

That's how it was with me too. I was only informed from the medical perspective and was not informed that the Deaf community and culture even existed. As a preteen after my first audiology test, I was told "You are HoH but not Deaf" I am severely deaf. Yet, they marvelled that I was able to respond and said I must speech-read well (which I do).

As an adult, I recently had another audiology test, no change in the results but I left with more understanding of my situation. The most powerful HAs they have on the market (and the most expensive I might add) only just reach my level of db. One db more and they would be rendered useless. What a ripoff!!

Audiologists also don't tell you the difficulties you may encounter wearing hearing aids (such as frequent infections, chaffing, irritation/headaches from noise distortion, battery problems and blockage etc., they are more interested in making a sale to get their share of commission.

People need to be educated more about the options available that are not medically related.

I agree people need to be educated about the options available. The only reason i knew about the non medically related options is because the school i go to is well known for their sign language program.
Even if people were educated about the options available I feel another problem that needs to be addressed is society not treating deaf and hard of hearing people like they are stupid or less then human. Loosing hearing does not mean one looses their brains. I was shocked when i went home after loosing hearing in my left ear, and my mom told me i could not cross the street because i could not hear the cars. I knew how to cross the road before i lost my hearing, i still know how to cross the street now.

Tympanoplasty can fix eardrums.

Thanks so much for the information. It has given me a new look at surgery. I am glad to know not every surgery involves implanting something that alters the hearing significantly. I hope to be able to avoid surgery.

Thanks so much for the information. It has given me a new look at surgery. I am glad to know not every surgery involves implanting something that alters the hearing significantly. I hope to be able to avoid surgery.

No problem. As for crossing the street while deaf, I have been hit by cars twice, once on foot and once on a bicycle.

Takes a little more caution.

About a month ago , I narrowly missed being run over by a line of grocery carts being moved into Sam's Club. I can't hear them, and I can't see out of my right eye. My husband moved me in time.. :lol:

No problem. As for crossing the street while deaf, I have been hit by cars twice, once on foot and once on a bicycle.

Takes a little more caution.

About a month ago , I narrowly missed being run over by a line of grocery carts being moved into Sam's Club. I can't hear them, and I can't see out of my right eye. My husband moved me in time.. :lol:

Ouch that sounds painful. I have noticed that i rely on my other senses a lot more since the hearing loss. Caution is definitely needed in the every day life.

Like Botti, I was hit by a pickup truck in the grocery lot. However a young and cute sacker pulled me out of the way. (blink-blink sigh)

Like Botti, I was hit by a pickup truck in the grocery lot. However a young and cute sacker pulled me out of the way. (blink-blink sigh)

:hmm: My husband is old,. But I must say he is very good looking! (I win)

We have signs up in the neighborhood saying deaf child in the area please drive with caution, to help prevent people from being run over my vehicles. I never thought i would appreciate them as much as i do today of at least knowing people will drive with some caution.

My hubby was yelling out to me one time, hands waving and pointing frantically, as I was trying to stop the car from rolling because the handbrake wasn't properly in place. I thought he was saying "the tree, the tree" but in fact he was saying "watch out for your feet". The car wheels almost ran over my feet! Goes to show how difficult speech-reading is.

i have had moments similar to that of thinking someone is saying one thing and in reality saying something different. Although usually they don't make any sense at all to me. One reason i am learning sign language, then i will know exactly what people are saying.

i have had moments similar to that of thinking someone is saying one thing and in reality saying something different. Although usually they don't make any sense at all to me. One reason i am learning sign language, then i will know exactly what people are saying.

May not help you know what they are saying, but learning ASL will give you a start at knowing what they are signing. ;)

All these years of being deaf, I haven't had any of that happen to me yet. I'm probably still young, but I do cross the street with heavy traffic alot with our son (on crosswalk). I guess I grown used to looking behind me because my mother allowed me to look after myself at a very young age. I would walk or ride my bike everywhere.

http://www.ehow.com/how_1642_cross-street-safely.html <---- this is what I usually do.

Jillio, you have brought up a very good point there. I will be analyzing this one for a while. :hmm:

I started a thread awhile back regarding the return to the medicalized perspective with the increase in CI implantation. Prior to that, we enjoyed a more cultural perspective, especially after the widespread influence of DPN.

Is there a great deal of difference in how the CI has impacted the perspective vs. how the hearing aid affected the perspective of deafness as a medical issue?

Absolutely. I have personally witnessed a change in perspective.

Back