The Deaf Community

QUOTE=jillio;1686081]The child can learn both as the primary. Simply keep the languages separate, and they will both receive the same amount of emphasis in the particular context in which they are being used. Bilingual children experience this all the time. They are pros at code switching, and have equal fluency in both languages.

I think you are confusing the definition of L1 language and primary languages.[/QUOTE]

:gpost:

This happens in a bi-lingual environment especially when the child is under 5. Many may think they get confused or delayed in their language skills but up until about 5 the child often used bits of each language in the same sentences mixing them up. This is normal. By the time they are 5 or so, they are using both languages fluently appropriate to their age-level.

Absolutely. It is developmental, and to be expected.

I have always been told that many CODA's need speech therapy, some need it for many years. (Including the poster here Doubletrouble) I was just saying that having ASL at home and spoken language at school sometimes doesn't work perfectly either.

Speech therapy addresses enunciation. It has nothing to do with language acquisition. CODAs do not go to speech therapy because they are delayed in language acquisition.

I see lots of that here. Little tiny bilingual kids. They even do simple interpreting for the grandparents or parents. They are very good and seem to have a good working age appropriate skill of both languages.

One of our former college students was from India. She spoke multiple dialects and 4 separate languages. She grew up learning them at home. She is now a phd. Go figure.

That's where an acoustic access classroom helps :) I know Li-Li is getting the same vocabulary, the same concepts in both languages. She code switches with ease, fortunately. She seems to innately know deaf from hearing. Very different from my grandmother who, though fluent in 3 languages, had a knack for speaking German with English-speaking family members, and English with German-speaking family, and she'd often slip into dutch around her Bavarian German-speaking husband, who could barely make heads or tails of it.

Li-Li refuses to sign with my husband even when he won't speak and signs only (he is always very embarrassed by this when we're in mixed company - deaf/hearing - he's afraid people will think he doesn't sign with her (he does!) . He thinks she laughs at his signing :). But with me, she'll sign half the time when we're alone, and always answer sign with sign, but will only speak to me when we're around her school, almost as if to say, 'oh mama, you can't keep up with us big kids here, we'll slow it down to speaking for you'.

Being capable of code switching in the way you describe is an indication that she is successful at bilingualism.

my son go to speech therapy and he does not have ASL. And I don't teach him about vocabulary or anything like that, and he have a high score reading and writing dispite him being with me all the time (husband always working)

Most CODAs interprets, even off from TV, so I don't know how in the world ASL affect speaking and writing ability when they are heavily involve in it anyway. I've seen my mother's cousin interpreting everything for her own mother, but she is happier in ASL than she is in English.

But on the other hand, my son learned my speaking ability and have to have speech therapy to undo that.

It is imperative when you enter a thread of discussion that you read through all the comments thoroughly. I have seen that FJ has a habit of jumping into the thread without doing her homework on the discussion. Hence, she misses comments and goes totally off the rails. It is like she is wearing blinkers and cannot see beyond her own prejudicial bias.

One skilled in conversationdiscussion/debate can always stay on track despite it being derailed by others.

I empathize with you having to continually and unnecessarily repeat yourself PFH. It is frustrating for those who really want to contribute to the thread.

Well said.

When the Gallaudet protest happened, support spewed from every corner all over the world. China, Kenya, Sweden, South America, all over.

Deaf Community is ALL over the world. Thats why it will be easy for me to travel, I already know people all over the world.

DPN was an event that brought deaf communities from all over together, and worked as a tool to make many hearing more aware and empathetic.

Wirelessly posted

I don't blame you. I need to find something more productive than reading blogs on this end.

Anyway, it's not the first time someone said Deaf culture is an American-only concept. Sad. If only they took Anthropology 101, then they would see how wrong they are.

Certainly true.

my son go to speech therapy and he does not have ASL. And I don't teach him about vocabulary or anything like that, and he have a high score reading and writing dispite him being with me all the time (husband always working)

Most CODAs interprets, even off from TV, so I don't know how in the world ASL affect speaking and writing ability when they are heavily involve in it anyway. I've seen my mother's cousin interpreting everything for her own mother, but she is happier in ASL than she is in English.

But on the other hand, my son learned my speaking ability and have to have speech therapy to undo that.

That is understandable, as you were his most important model when he was young. But having to attend speech therapy to have his pronunciation corrected did not mean that he was having problems with acquiring language. Some people seem to think that being able to pronounce a word correctly correlates with the fluent use of that word. Nothing could be further from the truth.

That is understandable, as you were his most important model when he was young. But having to attend speech therapy to have his pronunciation corrected did not mean that he was having problems with acquiring language. Some people seem to think that being able to pronounce a word correctly correlates with the fluent use of that word. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Being severely deaf, raised oral, had speech therapy and still struggling to pronounce some words - I totally agree with you Jillio. As you can see, it hasn't affected my acquisition of the English language.

Being severely deaf, raised oral, had speech therapy and still struggling to pronounce some words - I totally agree with you Jillio. As you can see, it hasn't affected my acquisition of the English language.

Your acquisition has not been affected in the least. My son is profound in the left ear and severe in the right. Still has difficulty with some pronunciation despite several years of speech therapy. However, he is fluent in both English and ASL.

Speech therapy addresses enunciation. It has nothing to do with language acquisition. CODAs do not go to speech therapy because they are delayed in language acquisition.

I love it when you use hard words in one post at a time ... it forces me to look it up in the dictionary.

I love it when you use hard words in one post at a time ... it forces me to look it up in the dictionary.

LOL, I've had others tell me that, too. It really isn't my intent to make people use a dictionary, though.

It's a good thing, I needed it. I'm tired of people trying to simplified things when speaking to me. I don't need it on internet world too.

It's a good thing, I needed it. I'm tired of people trying to simplified things when speaking to me. I don't need it on internet world too.

That is exactly why I don't change the way I put things when I post here. I believe that the deaf posters are perfectly able to understand what I am saying, and can either ask me, or know how to look it up, if they need clarification. If I changed the way I write, it would mean that I think deaf people aren't able to understand what I am saying. I've seen way too much of that thinking to want to be a party to it.

Back