The Deaf Community

Because she listens to us.

She tells you what you want to hear.

Is she out there fighting for kids, for equal access, for resources for deaf kids? Is she she lobbying for a "Deaf children's bill of rights" or fundraising for a Deaf school? Is she helping with Early Intervention or helping parents find local resources so they can actually provide this "full toolbox" for which she advocates?

OR

Does she show up on a Deaf message board and preach in "holier than thou" way about how parents who FACE IT EVERY DAY, are wrong and she is right. While having never leaved as a Deaf person OR a parent??

I think that is the main problem OB faces here. Most deaf people have had far too many opinions and orders from hearing people running their lives for years.

The majority of TOD's, ENT's, and audiologists are not deaf nor have deaf family.

I've never had a problem here until now and I've been on and off this forum since 2004.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, listen to me, ect. Many won't. I can accept that.

I've had to prove myself, but I feel I already have. I refuse to keep doing so over and over again. I've already put a few on ignore. If someone doesn't want to see my posts, they can do the same. It's a two way street, but I'm not going to back down from what I believe; nor am I going to allow anyone to bully me from this forum simply because they don't like that I'm here.

I don't get why people are all torqued out about my viewpoints. Well, I DO get it, but we won't go there again. It's already been said and resaid.

And, I'll say yet again....
And I'll ask yet again, why have you targeted me as someone who has attacked your viewpoint (not sure what you mean by "torqued" in this context?)? I promote both spoken language and ASL. I'm not just beating a drum because I like the sound, I'm actually practicing what I preach, walking the talk, eating my own cooking, putting my own skin in the game, and so on.

And I'll ask yet again, why have you targeted me as someone who has attacked your viewpoint (not sure what you mean by "torqued" in this context?)? I promote both spoken language and ASL. I'm not just beating a drum because I like the sound, I'm actually practicing what I preach, walking the talk, eating my own cooking, putting my own skin in the game, and so on.

I want to know why someone who has no investment in the deaf community, deaf education or anything thing else, believes that they have the right to criticize ANY parent for their choices. It is like being a "Monday morning quarterback"....it must be a nice view from the SIDELINES! It's easy to judge when you don't have a stake in it...

I've never had a problem here until now and I've been on and off this forum since 2004.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, listen to me, ect. Many won't. I can accept that.

I've had to prove myself, but I feel I already have. I refuse to keep doing so over and over again. I've already put a few on ignore. If someone doesn't want to see my posts, they can do the same. It's a two way street, but I'm not going to back down from what I believe; nor am I going to allow anyone to bully me from this forum simply because they don't like that I'm here.

I don't care what you do. I answered from the deaf perspective why you meet with hostility.

I don't care what you do. I answered from the deaf perspective why you meet with hostility.

And, why is that? Fear?

I know that some people are hostile towards me, and, I know why they're hostile. It's not my issue. The hostility is only hurting them. By being hostile, they deprive themselves of an opportunity to help someone to understand them.

Hostility never helps anyone. It only hurts. It's understandable, but at the same time, the hostility is exactly the reason the two worlds are so set apart.

What do you think would happen if a deaf person and a hearing person came together and actually learned from one another? It would only improve things for the deaf; I would think. And, really, isn't that what we want? More understanding for what the deaf deal with on a daily basis?

And, why is that? Fear?

I know that some people are hostile towards me, and, I know why they're hostile. It's not my issue. The hostility is only hurting them. By being hostile, they deprive themselves of an opportunity to help someone to understand them.

Hostility never helps anyone. It only hurts. It's understandable, but at the same time, the hostility is exactly the reason the two worlds are so set apart.

What do you think would happen if a deaf person and a hearing person came together and actually learned from one another? It would only improve things for the deaf; I would think. And, really, isn't that what we want? More understanding for what the deaf deal with on a daily basis?

No I don't think it is fear. I think people are just annoyed because you have no actual investment in it.

She tells you what you want to hear.

Is she out there fighting for kids, for equal access, for resources for deaf kids? Is she she lobbying for a "Deaf children's bill of rights" or fundraising for a Deaf school? Is she helping with Early Intervention or helping parents find local resources so they can actually provide this "full toolbox" for which she advocates?

OR

Does she show up on a Deaf message board and preach in "holier than thou" way about how parents who FACE IT EVERY DAY, are wrong and she is right. While having never leaved as a Deaf person OR a parent??

Have you lived your life in a wheelchair, lived your life facing discrimination because you dont fit in society's idea of what a normal person should be, and have you lived your life constantly having to prove yourself to ignorant people?

OB has...so I respect her.

Have you lived your life in a wheelchair, lived your life facing discrimination because you dont fit in society's idea of what a normal person should be, and have you lived your life constantly having to prove yourself to ignorant people?

OB has...so I respect her.

I would never pretend to understand where she is coming from, so why does she insist on thinking she has ANY idea what my life or my child's life is like?

No I don't think it is fear. I think people are just annoyed because you have no actual investment in it.

Bingo! :giggle:

(Bott, I do believe you are one of the wisest people on the site. You have strong opinions but you understand, respect and totally "get" where both sides are coming from, even if you disagree!)

Shel, do you respect her for claiming repeatedly that I have attacked her and her viewpoints and challenged her participation in this forum or her ASL skill level when I've not even engaged in a discussion, much less a debate with her?

Shel, do you respect her for claiming repeatedly that I have attacked her and her viewpoints and challenged her participation in this forum or her ASL skill level when I've not even engaged in a discussion, much less a debate with her?

That issue, I dont know about because I missed that part and it has nothing to do with me. Anything personal between two ADers, I dont get involved in. But when people are telling her that she has no right to an opinion because she sides with us or whatever, is when I will speak up.

Bingo! :giggle:

(Bott, I do believe you are one of the wisest people on the site. You have strong opinions but you understand, respect and totally "get" where both sides are coming from, even if you disagree!)

Her life growing up in a wheelchair doesnt count?

All you did was ask how she learned ASL, as you have asked many people, because you are legitimately seeking resources to become fluent yourself. I have no idea how that is attacking!

All you did was ask how she learned ASL, as you have asked many people, because you are legitimately seeking resources to become fluent yourself. I have no idea how that is attacking!

Ok, if you feel that she wasnt attacking you, then why dont you address it with her in PM land? That part is something I wont get involved with as I wasnt a part of it.

I am speaking to GrendalQ.

If you felt like she was attacking you, maybe explain it to her how you felt...maybe she felt she wasnt. Maybe it is a differing of opinions. I missed that part so I cant form an opinion about it.

This thread has turned into a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

That issue, I dont know about because I missed that part and it has nothing to do with me. Anything personal between two ADers, I dont get involved in. But when people are telling her that she has no right to an opinion because she sides with us or whatever, is when I will speak up.

She has no right to an opinion not because she sides with you, but because NONE OF OT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH HER! She is an "armchair quarterback" (armchair quarterback definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta) and has no personal connection with the Deaf community but insists on judging people who do.

Back