Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.
heh i gave up like 5 pages ago.

while i admit i've had stand-off moments with terps on this board before as well....everyone has done nothing but bend over backwards for you AB, and you dont want to listen to any idea that may conflict with what you are already going to do anyway.

you come off as very rigid, aggressive, and needy.

you live in a major metropolitan area, yet are unable to find anything other than a library. i was flabbergasted when i read that you'd be willing to drive 100 miles...there is no reason to be sitting at home reading books...none.

Deaf people dont advertise on the net because their life is not an open book, and their job in life is not to teach asl to new people. they are going about thier daily lives and get together to enjoy each others company. its really not very fun to sit around with a bunch of new signers who end up voicing to each other anyway....thats prolly why you dont see many silent dinners etc.

when you stop thinking that they owe it to you to teach you the language, you'll start realizing that if you want to be involved, you are the one who is gonna have to do the work.

heh i gave up like 5 pages ago.

while i admit i've had stand-off moments with terps on this board before as well....everyone has done nothing but bend over backwards for you AB, and you dont want to listen to any idea that may conflict with what you are already going to do anyway.

you come off as very rigid, aggressive, and needy.

you live in a major metropolitan area, yet are unable to find anything other than a library. i was flabbergasted when i read that you'd be willing to drive 100 miles...there is no reason to be sitting at home reading books...none.

Deaf people dont advertise on the net because their life is not an open book, and their job in life is not to teach asl to new people. they are going about thier daily lives and get together to enjoy each others company. its really not very fun to sit around with a bunch of new signers who end up voicing to each other anyway....thats prolly why you dont see many silent dinners etc.

when you stop thinking that they owe it to you to teach you the language, you'll start realizing that if you want to be involved, you are the one who is gonna have to do the work.

What a couple of boneheads. Boy I am sure glad that they are history! We can all do do without those idiots.

In here most Terps (or signers) think that I am a bunching bag. Well it's time for me to defend myself. I am sick of the abuse.

To whom are you defending yourself ?
You've alienated the interpreters, you've alienated the Deaf, you've alienated Parents, spouses, children of Deaf, you've alienated ASL students - you don't have anyone to defend yourself to ...

AB ... I've tried... but I'm tired ...

As a hh/Deaf member of this board, and someone who is grateful for access to interpreters weekly - from what I've seen of you in this thread, even if you were the most skilled interpreter there was ...

As you are right now... I would never request, nor accept you as an interpreter for myself - I would in fact likely send you home, and go without (and I've never asked an interpreter to leave)
As painful as that might be to hear ... you need to hear it, understand it... and process it. I would rather get 30% and use paper. period.

SKSK

Anij, you have been an ace in all this. You know that I would no say anything bad about you. In fact, you are one of the ones who have honestly help me. Please don't you leave. I respect you and value your advice. I am just getting rid of all the bad apples. Clening house if you will. Stay please. You are not my target.

Anij, you know that you are not included in all this. Truly, why on earth would I mentioned such things about you? It is only a loud minority that is trying to bring me down. Not you my friend. Stay.

this thread reminds me of my everquest days, i haven't seen a meltdown this good in a loooong time...wow.

Reba and jillio (among a few others) have been helpful as well. I would hate to see them go. My aim is not set on them either. So please do not think it is. So please remain on this thread. My ears are open to your words.

this thread reminds me of my everquest days, i haven't seen a meltdown this good in a loooong time...wow.

I thought you said you were going Ariakkas!? Please, for goodness sakes, leave already. Do me that last favor. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. I beg of you to stay clear of this thread. Your words are useless to me so stop coming around. Don't be a pest.

shel90 also is a kind soul who tries to help me. You are not included among those I feel are trying to bash me down.

Remember everyone, I am only defending myself. That's all. :)

AB - I want to give you a heads up for when you become an interpreter.... people will tell you what they dont like about you, or what you need to work on! They will not "soften" it... They will be straight forward. It is not meant to be hurtful but for a hearie it can be...

I had to get used to it myself... I wear my heart on my sleeve... hearing that I am bad at classifiers was tough but I know I need to work on them...

RDC_girl...I am so tired right now of all the shit from a few members here, that I am seriously thinking about ending my membership on AD. I do not want to do that but if I do decide to ends it, I'll do so soon. I know this, I would never treat another soul in the manner I have been treated by some (not all) on this thread. It is all so unjust.

And now it seems that everyone has given my the cold shoulder. What a sad turn of events.

Now I will surrender this news. I have been going through some severe Bi-Polar episodes for the last two days and that fact may have contributed to my venting some here a little too harshly. In fact I am pretty sure of it. But that does not remove the other fact that I have been treated wrongly.

you have to remember that it is a Different Culture... Different rules... Interpreters have their own Culture too.

well think about it... they are part of the hearing culture and a visitor in the Deaf Culture... both cultures are very different so they mesh to an interpreter culture..

I am only speaking on what I have witnessed... Interpreters stick together... At every lecture I go to... all 5-10 interpreters (not terping the lecture) sit together.

Well RDC_girl, sitting together and being a part of a culture are two different things. I created a poll about your reply. Click here to view it if you like. :)

I am feeling slightly better as of now. That must be a record for me. Usually the mental downtime is a few weeks so I am pleasantly surprised.

Thank goodness I feel a little better. That blackness is hard to deal with.

Do you guys know how many bridges I have burned (in the past) because of my bi-polar behavior? Tons! People are not forgiving- they hold on to grudges and won't return with a forgiving heart. They do not understand that it is my illness responding. They think it’s me. Ooh well…there nothing I can do about that: It’s just my reality.

No wonder I'm a loner in the world. :giggle:

Rule number one for me is to always keep a sense of humor about life's situtations. If I couldn't do that, I would be dead by now.

Nearly all (or all actually) of my friendships in the past have ended because of my illness (the behavior associated with it). Former friends have either never understood (accepted) the reasons for my harsh talk, or they have not believed me- they think it is an excuse for some odd reason.

For those who think I made up excuses I would of loved to have my psychiatrist with me in order for him to instruct them about the causes of my behavior. Maybe that way they would see things as they are and know that I am (in reality) a good guy. Not a bitter scrooge.

I think it’s odd that people terminated associating with me because, in my normal self, I am mellow yellow...mister peace and quiet. But again, those things are out of hands.

The few friends I have now (less than a hand full) still stick around because for some miraculous reason, I have not experienced a bipolar event in their presence. So I cherish what I have while I have it because I do not know if tomorrow I will lose such ones.

Boy I have gone way off topic. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back