Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaBlue

Reaction score
Are you an ASL Interpreter? If so please share with us your experiences and what you enjoy most about being a communicative aid to the Deaf and HOH. Post advice for young ASL students (like myself- young in knowledge but old in years :cry:): It will be greatly appreciated. So calling out to all Terp members, please stand up and be counted. This thread is for you (and only you)!

ILd-03-05-3974-TJ-02.jpg

I can't believe it...no replies?? :cry:
Well, first of all... you put the thread in the wrong place. Second of all, you can't expect replies to happen instantly or within a day... especially when it relates to non-deaf people. Third of all, you did say that this thread was for "terp members" only. ;)

Well, first of all... you put the thread in the wrong place. Second of all, you can't expect replies to happen instantly or within a day... especially when it relates to non-deaf people. Third of all, you did say that this thread was for "terp members" only. ;)

It is for Terps only but none have shown up (yet); I have questions. :wiggle:

Where should this thread be? If the Admin would be so kind so as to move it to its proper place. :ty:

I know it has only been a day, but to ASL students everywhere (me) one day is like a trillion years!! :bowdown:

Thank you VamPyroX for your heart felt concern. :bye:

It is for Terps only but none have shown up (yet); I have questions. :wiggle:

Where should this thread be? If the Admin would be so kind so as to move it to its proper place. :ty:

I know it has only been a day, but to ASL students everywhere (me) one day is like a trillion years!! :bowdown:

Thank you VamPyroX for your heart felt concern. :bye:
I've already moved the thread... "Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter"

Mod Note: Thread moved to the proper location. :)

Well, I'm an interpreter. Here I am! I know of several others on here so hopefully they will chime in too.

Welcome Etoile. Do you have any advice for ASL students just starting out?

Honestly I'm not sure that I do! It has been a very long time since I was in any kind of ASL class, and I never took beginning ASL because I already had that skill level. Are you hoping to become an interpreter? I would have advice about interpreting if you are interested in that, but I'm not sure I have anything helpful on learning ASL! I will try to think of something. :)

I'm an interpreter, too. I went to an ITP, but I got my training through the school of hard knocks. You need to have a thick skin.

It takes about 5 yrs to become fluent in any language. Immerse yourself in the deaf world.

Good luck!!

Five freaking years!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Wow! I am aiming at three years fluency. I do work hard everyday on my new language.

I would assume (and I hate to assume anything) that I must have an X amount of sign words (vocabulary) under my belt and a basic understanding of ASL grammar before I head out there and socialize with a Deaf group. Right??

Otherwise I will be making a damn fool out of myself. :giggle:

Should I immerse myself now when I am only beginning to learn how to construct phrases (ASL grammar) and building my vocabulary? I will be totally lost...would you still recommend that I immerse yourself at this stage in my learning?

And also, you know that I have search the Web in an effort to locate local Deaf gatherings and the only social groups are either way south or north. I can't find any group (not even those Starbuck ones) anywhere near me. What do you recommend I do?

Thanks again for your advice.

Five freaking years!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Wow! I am aiming at three years fluency. I do work hard everyday on my new language.

Yea, it took me just about 5 years to become fluent in ASL.

Yes!! Bring paper and a pen if you feel more comfortable.

You live in Miami?? I found a happening for you! Tues, March 4th!!

Silent Social Gathering Come one Come all (North Miami Beach, FL) - Meetup.com

Thanks but the problem is that North Miami Beach is just too far north for me to drive. I did access the website you posted and I signed up. I refused the meeting but left a message for those concerned to help me find local Deaf gatherings. I even said the same thing in my profile description. Let's see what happens...fingers-crossed. :fingersx:

I'm a Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI) - I noticed you said "aid to Deaf and Hoh"...Uh oh! That's treading on being pathological - why isn't it being an aide to hearing people as well since they are the ones who need the interpreters, too ;)

Interpreters aren't there to "help" - they're there to bridge two people or groups of people between at least two different languages or two different communication modes... keep that in mind :).

I'm a Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI) - I noticed you said "aid to Deaf and Hoh"...Uh oh! That's treading on being pathological - why isn't it being an aide to hearing people as well since they are the ones who need the interpreters, too ;)

Interpreters aren't there to "help" - they're there to bridge two people or groups of people between at least two different languages or two different communication modes... keep that in mind :).

:gpost: Very valid points, deafbajagal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back