Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one more thing please. Check out this post I made in another thread: Click here.

Go to hell Interpretrator. Who gives a crap about what you think?

Um excuse me Aqua.......if this is your reaction to an interpertor who was here to give you advice as help to your closed minded ways of "learning" and then blame it on your bi-polar episode, then how will you handel the real world and a real deaf client who will give you a mindfull about your interpreting skills? Are you going to tell your clients to "Go to Hell?" cause you won't have a job very long. May be you need to stop being so ridged and loosen up. Deaf Culture is not going to be exactly how the book you read said it will be. Signs will be different in regions and behaviors will be different with each person and setting. If you can't get that with the things people have told you in this thread then you will have a rude awaking when you FINALLY stop realding and get out there.

You brought out a fantastic question Schermy. That question is one that I am now asking myself with deep concern. How am I going to control my emotions if I do (one day) become a Terp? I can't answer that if my life depended on it. If I for one minute react in a reckless way while during a Terp gig, my entire career will either be in real jeopardy or completely over. It is a real hard one to forecast. I just do not know. In all honesty, I do not know.

This is also true of any type of job I have. Not just Terp work. I have no clue Schermy. It is beyond me really. I truly hope that I can manage my illness by then because if I were to spend years working (going back to college and becoming certified) to achieve such a career only to lose it because of harsh behavior, it will devastate me in every way.

I would be extremely lucky to ever find a Terp job again afterwards. I will talk this over with my shrink next month. I am curious to what he tells me.

Good question. You were reading my mind Schermy.

If a terp reacts in an inappropriate way it's not just the terp's career that is damaged. That's a very self-centered way to look at the situation. If a terp "blows up" or "loses it" during an assignment it can have very serious consequences for the client consumers. That's the problem. The damage done to the consumers and the interpreting profession is much more significant than the damage done to the individual terp's career.

There's nothing wrong with setting goals, but one unrelenting, supreme do-or-die goal may not be reasonable for most of us. Things get in the way, like the real boundaries of deafness for some and bi-polar disorder for others.

Alternate goals aren't failures, just reasonable redirection.

You seem to have a terrific penchant for language, photography, and computer use. I have several home-bound clients who make good livings as freelance writers, mostly for magazines. Freelancers in that medium can arrange things so that anxiety-producing deadlines are less of a problem.

The profession takes a great deal of drive, perseverance, and belief in oneself, things you possess in abundance. Many areas of professional writing allow you to be your own boss. It also allows the buffer of distance and time to work through ups and downs.

I wouldn't recommend such an alternative if your writing abilities were bad. They aren't. I'm positive you've been told along the way that they have a great deal of promise.

If a terp reacts in an inappropriate way it's not just the terp's career that is damaged. That's a very self-centered way to look at the situation. If a terp "blows up" or "loses it" during an assignment it can have very serious consequences for the client consumers. That's the problem. The damage done to the consumers and the interpreting profession is much more significant than the damage done to the individual terp's career.

You make it seem as if I had something to do with it. So you think I shouldn't follow the goal of Interpreter? I mean that could happen in any field I choose. Everyone taking in my reaction(s) will be affected.

And I am not self-centered Reba. Come on now.

You make it seem as if I had something to do with it. So you think I shouldn't follow the goal of Interpreter? I mean that could happen in any field I choose. Everyone taking in my reaction(s) will be affected.

And I am not self-centered Reba. Come on now.
I've posted more than once that if you want to become an interpreter, then you need to do it in the correct sequence. I didn't say that you shouldn't follow your goal. I said that you should follow the proper sequence and process in order to meet your goal.

I didn't say that you are self-centered. I said the viewpoint was self-centered. Interpreting is a service profession. The needs of the client come first. It doesn't matter how much the situation or clients annoy or upset you, you have to maintain self-control or else find a different line of work. Interpreters face frustration, confusion, bad attitudes, ignorance, criticism, stress, physical discomfort, and almost every day. If the potential terp doesn't have patience, coping mechanisms, flexibility, maturity, and good judgment then he or she will be in constant turmoil.

You wanted to tap into the knowledge and field experience of professional terps, and that's what you're getting.

So I should consider another path and forget about being a Terp? Tell me straight out.

Aqua,
I think if you really take the time to read what Reba is saying you will see she is correct. If you blow up or mishandel the client you do more harm to them than your carrer. I think Chase is correct and may be on the right track here. You do have a good use of words when you get on a roll and are clearly a research type person. Why not do some sort of home based freelance writting or graphich design??

So I should consider another path and forget about being a Terp? Tell me straight out.

In my opinion after reading your comments and response to other people's comment, I would suggest that you seriously reconsider your career options.

The other thing I would like to add is to take what Chase said in his recent post seriously. I think he gave you a very sound advice.

yes...you should find another career choice...straight out.

find one that doesn't involve you having any sort of internet access, or physical presence with normal rational human beings.

you are in here blowing up at people, not listening, name calling...and then talking to yourself for a half a page....you're nuts dude...seriously.

blame it on your condition...whatever. you're an adult, and as a result YOU are responsible for your actions...we all got stuff we gotta manage.

There's nothing wrong with setting goals, but one unrelenting, supreme do-or-die goal may not be reasonable for most of us. Things get in the way, like the real boundaries of deafness for some and bi-polar disorder for others.

Alternate goals aren't failures, just reasonable redirection.

You seem to have a terrific penchant for language, photography, and computer use. I have several home-bound clients who make good livings as freelance writers, mostly for magazines. Freelancers in that medium can arrange things so that anxiety-producing deadlines are less of a problem.

The profession takes a great deal of drive, perseverance, and belief in oneself, things you possess in abundance. Many areas of professional writing allow you to be your own boss. It also allows the buffer of distance and time to work through ups and downs.

I wouldn't recommend such an alternative if your writing abilities were bad. They aren't. I'm positive you've been told along the way that they have a great deal of promise.

Excellent advise, Chase. After reading along these many days inthis thread and some of the other threads that AB ha created, I have serious concerns regarding the appropriateness of employment in the service sector for him. Again, I reccommend, as I have previously, that AB cotnact his local BVR office, get in touch with a VR cousnelor familiar with his dosorder, and be assessed for vocational possibilities. Once assessment has been completed, goals can be set with realistic expectations.

I think you should have serious discussions with professionals such as your therapist, a vocational counselor, and then the college department head of whatever field you're interested in.

Chase has said it all. Excellent advice.

If you have a bi polar disorder while planning to be an interpreter near the future...it may be not realistic for you because your behavior tendencies will affect your employment opportunities in the interpreting field. What if you blow up at your client while working as an interpreter? Client would leave immediately and report it to RID to have your certification revoked. Is that what you want? I don't think so.

Like Reba and Jillio said, you need to talk with your VR counselor, therapist, psychiarist, psychologist, and other medical professionals about your realistic goals.

I have a client who has Bi polar disorder (ironically, he is one day younger than I am) who works at a local restaurant as an utensil roller. He prefers a quiet and non stressed environment in order to get calm and focus on his repetitive tasks every mornings. He can't handle the tremendous stress at all. Interestingly, I've noticed some people with Bipolar disorder tends to work in a quiet environment. Of course, depends on the person with a degree of bipolar disorder.

Good advice Chase,
and I have to say this. When I read AB's post - it reminds me alot of myself roughly 2-3 years ago. I was irrational, no job, no money, nothing and I had a kid. I was still reeling from my divorce and the loss of my home. I had put my everything into becoming an EMT but it fell through. I just shut myself off from reality as much as I could. I would sit at home all day long - tippy-tippy type on forum bugging the hell out of everyone. I was droning on my dreams and how I would never reach them. Looking back on things - becoming an EMT was a bad idea from the get-go. I can handle stress but I cant think clearly and realistically as a hh/Deaf person, it would be quite dangerous for a patient to receive improper care on my part due to miscommunication. Dont get me wrong I knew my stuff inside outside frontwards and backwards, I was gung ho for it. But the longer I searched for work, the more it sank in that it wasnt a realistic goal. Not only that I made a complete ass of myself on various EMS forums were the REAL professionals frequent, looking back on those posts I was an embarrassment to the ENTIRE profession.

Then I was given a Lab puppy from an ex-boyfriend to cheer me up - well soon enough my life became consumed with this dog - again this is my mental crap flaring up. I didnt want to get a job because I wouldve much rather play with the dog all day and surf retriever forums and bug the hell out of everyone. After a while dad decided enough was enough - he FORCED me to get rid of the dog or he was. Trust me this wasnt easy by anymeans. When I was with Narcan I felt stable - but it was a crutch not an actual cure. Dont get me wrong I stil miss that damn dog everyday but the reality was, I couldnt properly take care of him the way I wanted or could so I gave him up to a Labrador Rescue - believe me the rescue was a far better alternative to dads method of getting rid of unwanted animals. (I dont agree with this but I gave him up for his best interest)

Well after I gave up my dog, I would sit and mope about it all day on the internet on the forums and about how I couldnt find work. Well I couldnt find work because the work I did have was because I couldnt keep a job for more than a few months at a time. If there ever was a flag for mental nutcase, they were all there.

Then I gritted my teeth and swallowed my pride - I went back to work at a lousy ass chicken plant despite all of my efforts to never return to one.

Ever since then Ive had good performance reports at work, Ive kept the job for 11 months now - just a few more weeks and I will have been there a year and I wil get a vacation. But it hasnt been sweetness and light. Ive had to drive a crappy assed vehicle, work a crappy assed job, and get a crappy assed pay compared to other professions. I had to work for a year to pay off my remaining debt of my student loans, and to repay other smaller bills. I am currently saving up for a new(er) vehicle. Its not going to be a spanking new vehicle, hell it may be a damn Yodamobile for all I know depending on my budget.

But my point is this - Ive got bi-polar. Ive had to learn to get up and deal with it, otherwise life is crap when you shut down and make up exscuses to not do the things you need to do in order to do the things you want to do.

Yes I want to go back to school and finish my degree - but there are other things that need to be done before I can go on with that. Yes I want to live in my own house and have my own rules, but there are other things that need to be done first.

How badly do you want it? Are you willing to bust your ass for it? Or are you willing to sit on your ass and whine about it? Its totally up to you to decide.

As for me, I decided I need to be busting my ass rather than sitting on it. Now Im on the verge of something wonderful - I can finish paying my final school bill, and get a reliable vehicle and possibly a better job - all within the next 6 months all because I busted my ass to work my way from the bottom of the barrel.

If you do leave, then I wish you well, I hope you can fight this disease and get it under control so that you may one day be able to live a normal life.

Good advice Chase,
and I have to say this. When I read AB's post - it reminds me alot of myself roughly 2-3 years ago. I was irrational, no job, no money, nothing and I had a kid. I was still reeling from my divorce and the loss of my home. I had put my everything into becoming an EMT but it fell through. I just shut myself off from reality as much as I could. I would sit at home all day long - tippy-tippy type on forum bugging the hell out of everyone. I was droning on my dreams and how I would never reach them. Looking back on things - becoming an EMT was a bad idea from the get-go. I can handle stress but I cant think clearly and realistically as a hh/Deaf person, it would be quite dangerous for a patient to receive improper care on my part due to miscommunication. Dont get me wrong I knew my stuff inside outside frontwards and backwards, I was gung ho for it. But the longer I searched for work, the more it sank in that it wasnt a realistic goal. Not only that I made a complete ass of myself on various EMS forums were the REAL professionals frequent, looking back on those posts I was an embarrassment to the ENTIRE profession.

Then I was given a Lab puppy from an ex-boyfriend to cheer me up - well soon enough my life became consumed with this dog - again this is my mental crap flaring up. I didnt want to get a job because I wouldve much rather play with the dog all day and surf retriever forums and bug the hell out of everyone. After a while dad decided enough was enough - he FORCED me to get rid of the dog or he was. Trust me this wasnt easy by anymeans. When I was with Narcan I felt stable - but it was a crutch not an actual cure. Dont get me wrong I stil miss that damn dog everyday but the reality was, I couldnt properly take care of him the way I wanted or could so I gave him up to a Labrador Rescue - believe me the rescue was a far better alternative to dads method of getting rid of unwanted animals. (I dont agree with this but I gave him up for his best interest)

Well after I gave up my dog, I would sit and mope about it all day on the internet on the forums and about how I couldnt find work. Well I couldnt find work because the work I did have was because I couldnt keep a job for more than a few months at a time. If there ever was a flag for mental nutcase, they were all there.

Then I gritted my teeth and swallowed my pride - I went back to work at a lousy ass chicken plant despite all of my efforts to never return to one.

Ever since then Ive had good performance reports at work, Ive kept the job for 11 months now - just a few more weeks and I will have been there a year and I wil get a vacation. But it hasnt been sweetness and light. Ive had to drive a crappy assed vehicle, work a crappy assed job, and get a crappy assed pay compared to other professions. I had to work for a year to pay off my remaining debt of my student loans, and to repay other smaller bills. I am currently saving up for a new(er) vehicle. Its not going to be a spanking new vehicle, hell it may be a damn Yodamobile for all I know depending on my budget.

But my point is this - Ive got bi-polar. Ive had to learn to get up and deal with it, otherwise life is crap when you shut down and make up exscuses to not do the things you need to do in order to do the things you want to do.

Yes I want to go back to school and finish my degree - but there are other things that need to be done before I can go on with that. Yes I want to live in my own house and have my own rules, but there are other things that need to be done first.

How badly do you want it? Are you willing to bust your ass for it? Or are you willing to sit on your ass and whine about it? Its totally up to you to decide.

As for me, I decided I need to be busting my ass rather than sitting on it. Now Im on the verge of something wonderful - I can finish paying my final school bill, and get a reliable vehicle and possibly a better job - all within the next 6 months all because I busted my ass to work my way from the bottom of the barrel.

If you do leave, then I wish you well, I hope you can fight this disease and get it under control so that you may one day be able to live a normal life.

:gpost:

Yep, what secretblend said. You're a role model for folks whose road is rougher. I admire you for keeping pharmaceuticals to a minimum, Dixie.

Wow Dixie!!! Great posting and very inspirational! I am proud of u for getting this far! It sure doesnt sound easy but it looks like your hard work is finally paying off. Keep it up!

AquaBlue..even though I dont have Bipolar, I had to change my major several times before finding the job that best suited me. Even while I was pursuing my degree in teaching, I was very worried that I wouldnt have the patience for it in the real world. School is one thing but going to the job day in and day out 5 days a week is a different story so I was nervous about that. I had thoughts of not having the patience for it and getting burnt out wasting all my years of education for the wrong job. Even some of my friends told me that I should change majors cuz they felt that I didnt have the passion for teaching.

Now, it has been 5 years and I am still a teacher and I have surprised myself by becoming one of the most patient teachers at my workplace. I dont blow up at the kids and when they hurl personal insults at me, I dont feel hurt. In addition to that, I am very passionate about my job. :)

Sometimes, we just surprise ourselves when we have our minds set on achieving a particular goal. U will find out if interpreting is for you or not. Only u can search long and hard within yourself to find the answers. Nobody else can give u the answers.

Good luck!

Do you guys know how many bridges I have burned (in the past) because of my bi-polar behavior? Tons! People are not forgiving- they hold on to grudges and won't return with a forgiving heart. They do not understand that it is my illness responding. They think it’s me. Ooh well…there nothing I can do about that: It’s just my reality.
I am not the type to hold a grudge even though you have said some extremely rude things to me and those I consider friends. However, BPD is not an excuse. I am willing to come back and try to help if you're still interested in this profession, but I would hope an apology is forthcoming. Not an "oops, sorry, my BPD got the better of me" but an actual apology for extremely rude behavior. Then we can start over.

Good advice Chase,

:gpost:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back