Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd be foolish to go into battle without ammunition, right? From my vantage point, it would be equally as foolish to enter the Deaf community (or any other endeavor) without some degree of awareness and/or skill prior to participation.

Who is going to argue with me on that point? I can’t imagine who will stand against that logic.

You'd be foolish to go into battle without ammunition, right? From my vantage point, it would be equally as foolish to enter the Deaf community (or any other endeavor) without some degree of awareness and/or skill prior to participation.

Who is going to argue with me on that point? I can’t imagine who will stand against that logic.
How far are you willing to go for a sign language class?

AB, which colleges are within commuting distance to you?

Which public school district do you live in?

Many Reba. I'll find out now. Give me a few minutes.
Curious: Why would you need that info Reba?

Many Reba. I'll find out now. Give me a few minutes.
Curious: Why would you need that info Reba?
I'm trying to help you find a sign language class.

100 give-and-take. I mean I won't travel to adjecent counties because they are just too far. In the Miami metropolitan area (generally). :ty:

I gather that you could not find a gathering either Reba. I have looked high and low for gathering without success.

When I do finally join in on a gathering, I will have two questions in mind, (1) where are all the local Deaf gatherings being held during the month, and (2) why isn't there more advertisement (Internet notifications) of such events?

Networking would also be of prime importance to me- developing friendships with Deaf folks. Then, of course, would be to interact (as best I can) with the group...gaining some degree of experience with the Deaf while being among them.

I gather that you could not find a gathering either Reba.
Why do you assume that?

I have looked high and low for gathering without success.
Maybe you should focus on finding a sign language class first.

Networking would also be of prime importance to me- developing friendships with Deaf folks. Then, of course, would be to interact (as best I can) with the group...gaining some degree of experience with the Deaf while being among them.
They will be more accepting of you if they see that you've made an effort to take some formal signing classes. One of the first questions they will ask you is where did you learn to sign.

Why do you assume that?

Maybe you should focus on finding a sign language class first.

They will be more accepting of you if they see that you've made an effort to take some formal signing classes. One of the first questions they will ask you is where did you learn to sign.

Even for me, a deaf person, I took sign classes before attempting to go to Deaf events. When I was in my early 20s, I went to one without knowing any signs beyond the alphabet and nothing came out of it. After taking the classes, I was able to benefit more from the Deaf gatherings. No, i wasnt accepted with wide open arms at first cuz I am a deaf person who didnt know sign language and we are more likely to be looked down on than hering people who do not know sign language. Oh well.

I assume it because of the delay in answer. I picture you looking and looking (like me) without any results. The only classes (non credit) are offered by the city college. They cancelled the one registered for a few weeks ago :)(). I first learned sign in a class offered by the same city college five years ago.

I was confused about the date of my local gathering. It is not on the 28th, it is tomorrow night! I can't wait. I am a little nervous to tell you the truth.

I assume it because of the delay in answer. I picture you looking and looking (like me) without any results. The only classes (non credit) are offered by the city college. They cancelled the one registered for a few weeks ago :)(). I first learned sign in a class offered by the same city college five years ago.
Delay? I didn't know that there was a deadline. I'll help you but I do have a life so I'm not sitting at the computer every minute of the day. Since I posted about searching for a class I went shopping, made and ate dinner, cleaned the kitchen, did laundry, and helped Hubby with our kitchen remodel.

Now, back to the topic; I'll do a little searching tonight and maybe tomorrow morning. I'm taking my grandsons to the Aquarium tomorrow, so I won't be online most of the day.

I was confused about the date of my local gathering. It is not on the 28th, it is tomorrow night! I can't wait. I am a little nervous to tell you the truth.
You say that you took a signing class a few years ago. Do you think you remember enough to make simple chat at the activity?

You say that you took a signing class a few years ago. Do you think you remember enough to make simple chat at the activity?

Well I remember the important points on grammar aspect of ASL. The vocabulary is not so strong. It's been five years of inactivity. I do know the manual basics- ABCs (fingerspelling, numbers and such) so I guess I'll get by with fingerspelling my words. My biggest problem is retension. I will be doing the sign dont' understand alot tomorrow. :giggle:

Yes. I spoke with the director of the sign language department (of that college) on the phone regarding classes; she could not help me locate a gathering either. Grrr.

Also, those are all credit classes. Maybe next year I'll enroll in that course and get a degree in the field. Financial problems exist for me now (credit issues) so I must save up a little. I am disabled so maybe they could give me a break on the tuition. I have not looked into it though, but I will.

When you truly remember something you automatically learn it, or begin to learn it- engrave it into your mind.

But that is only the start.

Once you have gained that knowledge, you start applying it (Deaf gathering participation); and in time (more association/involvement) you begin to take command of the subject.

Well, not really. Memorizing leads to being able to use the information only in the context in which it was memorized. Only by learning is one able to apply in varied situations, and actually make use of the learned material.

Well, not really. Memorizing leads to being able to use the information only in the context in which it was memorized. Only by learning is one able to apply in varied situations, and actually make use of the learned material.

But remember my friend, memorization is only a springboard into knowledge itself which leads one toward mastery gained by experience (application of the knowledge which is wisdom). You can learn in other ways of course...like how you described. But the best way, at least for me, is how I discribed it:

Familiarity (overview) = memory (association) = learning (knowledge) = application (wisdom) = command (mastery).

At least that's my philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back