Teaching Pre Schoolers ASL

Would you prefer me to say I am teaching them BSL???

And it is not misleading.

Babyblue - If you are fluent in BSL and were actually using BSL full time then why not?

Why don't you use ASL only?

Babyblue - Patronize you? I am simply looking for clarification.

I understand that these are toddlers. I think that it is misleading to state that you are teaching them ASL when, in fact what you are doing is not truly ASL. *shrug*

How would you know exactly what babyblue is doing unless you had observed her classroom? It is presumptuous and patronizing of you to assume that you do. Likewise, babyblue is a trained educator, with course work and experience in the areas of early childhood development and language acquisition. You are not. I would certainly give more validity to her description of her methodology and her classroom activities than one would your outside and untrained assumptions of such.

How would you know exactly what babyblue is doing unless you had observed her classroom? It is presumptuous and patronizing of you to assume that you do. Likewise, babyblue is a trained educator, with course work and experience in the areas of early childhood development and language acquisition. You are not. I would certainly give more validity to her description of her methodology and her classroom activities than one would your outside and untrained assumptions of such.

Exactly! I see the results everyday of what I do for these kids.

Exactly! I see the results everyday of what I do for these kids.

So can you explain it? I'm a little confused too. Are you Sim-Comming? Key word signing? Turning your voice off at certain times and fluently signing?

So can you explain it? I'm a little confused too. Are you Sim-Comming? Key word signing? Turning your voice off at certain times and fluently signing?

Do Spanish speaking teachers speak spanish all the time with English speaking pre schoolers or toddlers? In order to teach them spanish?

Exactly what? It is certainly doesn't sound like you are exactly teaching ASL?

Again you are patronizing how I am teaching my class. If you don't like the fact that I call it teaching them ASL then go for it. What ever floats your boat.

Do Spanish speaking teachers speak spanish all the time with English speaking pre schoolers or toddlers? In order to teach them spanish?

Good point Babyblue.

I guess it comes done to what are the intended outcomes? Are the familes looking for the English speaking child to learn a few spanish words because it is implied that it helps them with spoken English?

*dunno*

Again you are patronizing how I am teaching my class. If you don't like the fact that I call it teaching them ASL then go for it. What ever floats your boat.

Babyblue - I am attempting to understand how you are teaching your class with the information that you are providing.

Well Spanish is spoken and ASL is not.

So kids have the ability to learn signs and such before they will learn spoken words. So I can collaborate that with spoken language.

spoken language with another spoken language will not help a child to learn speak certain words.

ASL does. :)

Babyblue - I am attempting to understand how you are teaching your class with the information that you are providing.

You are not attempting to understand.

You are attempting to say I am not teaching these kids ASL.

When you claim that you are you are just patronizing my methods because I do not use the same method as you do.

When you claim that you are you are just patronizing my methods because I do not use the same method as you do.

I want to understand. That is why I asked.

Well Spanish is spoken and ASL is not.

So kids have the ability to learn signs and such before they will learn spoken words. So I can collaborate that with spoken language.

spoken language with another spoken language will not help a child to learn speak certain words.

ASL does. :)

Babyblue - I think some ASL signs used with hearing children is a great idea! How can you state with certainty that teaching some words from ASL to hearing children, from hearing familes, in a hearing world, helps them to preform the complicated skill of speaking that signed word?

I want to understand. That is why I asked.

Small children communicate with their hands before they even learn to speak. For an example. They will point at what they want, they will hold their hands up to be picked up, They will wave, they do all sort of things with their hands. These are hearing babies.

I am empathizing on using that to help them to learn to speak. Using ASL.

Babyblue - I am sorry if you think that I am patronizing you. That certainly is not my intention.

I was taught by the Deaf community that ASL should only be taught in it's purest form, through immersion. They in fact did not appreciate or condone having ASL taken out of context and feel quite strongly about it. Hopefully this provides you with a sense of where I am coming from.

Babyblue - I am sorry if you think that I am patronizing you. That certainly is not my intention.

I was taught by the Deaf community that ASL should only be taught in it's purest form, through immersion. They in fact did not appreciate or condone having ASL taken out of context and feel quite strongly about it. Hopefully this provides you with a sense of where I am coming from.

Funny, coming from someone that uses a entirely different method.

With the above post stated. How many D/deaf people disagree with what I am doing here???

Back