Teaching Pre Schoolers ASL

Only if the CI center would understand that T.C. would benefit the best of both worlds. But they just seem to want implanted children to speak alone with out the tools they need to be effective and productive. ASL is that tool. ASL is what will boost that child's language skills. Not delay it.

If we can do it to boost a hearing child's language skills. Why not an implanted child. I just don't get it!

Nor do I. It is contrary to all of the research that shows that an oral only environment creates delays. As I said earlier, it is nothing more than exploitation for financial incentives.

I think so too.

I am not against a parent that wants to allow their child to benifit from a CI.

I am against them being denied full access to language.

My hypothesis is the same with the child I posted about previously in this thread. The child I had before. The parents allowed him to sign at first. Then all of a sudden the parent did a 380' Told me to stop signing with him. I was like what in the hell!?? The child was frustrated and started showing behavioral problems. So I started to sign with him. I was the only one there at the center that knew ASL. I was the only one that could "actually communicate with this three year old child. His parents withdrew him because I would not stop signing to him. I respect the parents but I had more respect for that child due to he was missing out so much. The mapping was not even completed. with a child that young does not deserve to miss out on ANYTHING while the brain is able to soak up the language skills.

I'm sure you know as well as I do. The first three years of a child's life is what truly maps a child. Hate to see a child miss out on that.

That's where my beliefs come in...I respect the power of language more than I respect the parents' needs.

Anyways, great job Babyblue!!!

I am not against a parent that wants to allow their child to benifit from a CI.

I am against them being denied full access to language.

:hug:

You just echoed what I've been advocating all the way.

Full access to language.

I will do in June!

I have been doing this over the summer. The director and the other teachers loved it. So we all agreed it would make an excellent graduation program!

Just to show these kids are excelling in more ways that others. I have not yet had a parent complain that Signing is delaying their language skills.

Babyblue - Why would you even expect them to complain about it? I imagine they think it is "cute", which it is.

It must be quite a bit of work for you to take the English songs and interpret them to ASL. Wow!

Only if the CI center would understand that T.C. would benefit the best of both worlds. But they just seem to want implanted children to speak alone with out the tools they need to be effective and productive. ASL is that tool. ASL is what will boost that child's language skills. Not delay it.

If we can do it to boost a hearing child's language skills. Why not an implanted child. I just don't get it!

Babyblue - Presuming by T.C. you are meaning toal communication, how is that equated to ASL?

Babyblue - Why would you even expect them to complain about it? I imagine they think it is "cute"., which it is.

It must be quite a bit of work for you to take the English songs and interpret them to ASL. Wow!

No more work than adding cues. And much more useful.

Babyblue - Presuming by T.C. you are meaning toal communication, how is that equated to ASL?

Signing and speaking.

Al ot of people can Sign ASL and Speak. A lot of people sign SEE and speak, A lot of people sign PSE and speak.

Babyblue - Why would you even expect them to complain about it? I imagine they think it is "cute", which it is.

I have been teaching these kids ASL since before the School have decided to make it part of their graduation. They have seen how successful it has been teaching them ASL.

And yes it is quite cute. But it is also a great learning experience to these kids. It was NOT hard at all it was actually easy to teach them. They remember a lot more and learned a lot more vocabulary words using ASL.
As for taking songs and teaching them to sign it in ASL was not hard at all. It is actually easier to have them sign it in ASL.

Signing and speaking.

Al ot of people can Sign ASL and Speak. A lot of people sign SEE and speak, A lot of people sign PSE and speak.

Babyblue - I do not believe that it is possible to use "sign" ASL and ASL "speak", simutaneoulsy. Bringing me to the conclusion that TC is not really a true language. Right??

I have been teaching these kids ASL since before the School have decided to make it part of their graduation. They have seen how successful it has been teaching them ASL.

And yes it is quite cute. But it is also a great learning experience to these kids. It was NOT hard at all it was actually easy to teach them. They remember a lot more and learned a lot more vocabulary words using ASL.
As for taking songs and teaching them to sign it in ASL was not hard at all. It is actually easier to have them sign it in ASL.

babyblue - I think what you are doing is terrific! Children are truly amazing students and teachers!

When you say they are remembering alot more, what are you comparing?

Babyblue - I do not believe that it is possible to use "sign" ASL and ASL "speak", simutaneoulsy. Bringing me to the conclusion that TC is not really a true language. Right??

Of course you will not sign word for word in ASL as you are speaking.

babyblue - I think what you are doing is terrific! Children are truly amazing students and teachers!

When you say they are remembering alot more, what are you comparing?

They pick up the signing skills before they can speak. I use the signs they are signing with the vocabulary cards and teach to to say these words. Works wonders with the toddlers.

And CS is?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

But to clarify, TC is a teaching methodology. No one has ever claimed it was anything else.

They pick up the signing skills before they can speak. I use the signs they are signing with the vocabulary cards and teach to to say these words. Works wonders with the toddlers.

Babyblue - How interesting. Considering how many muscles there are in the tongue and the intricacies involved in speech, are you surprised by this result?

Correct me if I amnot imagining this correctly. These toddlers, are not talking/voicing/speaking, but engaging in converstation through the language of ASL? Could your classrom be defined/described as a voice off ASL immersion learning opportunity?

When you teach them the English words for the basic toddler vocabulary, are you voice off ASL until you actually say the word?

Babyblue - How interesting. Considering how many muscles there are in the tongue and the intricacies involved in speech, are you surprised by this result?

Correct me if I amnot imagining this correctly. These toddlers, are not talking/voicing/speaking, but engaging in converstation through the language of ASL? Could your classrom be defined/described as a voice off ASL immersion learning opportunity?

When you teach them the English words for the basic toddler vocabulary, are you voice off ASL until you actually say the word?

Excuse me, but please don't sit here and patronize me.

I explained.. I do not communicate with them in ASL all the time. I am teaching them simple signs that helps them to learn certain words. These kids will sign certain words before they even know how to speak them. These are the toddlers

The pre schoolers I do it for fun. They actually enjoy learning songs in ASL.

Excuse me, but please don't sit here and patronize me.

I explained.. I do not communicate with them in ASL all the time. I am teaching them simple signs that helps them to learn certain words. These kids will sign certain words before they even know how to speak them. These are the toddlers

The pre schoolers I do it for fun. They actually enjoy learning songs in ASL.

Babyblue - Patronize you? I am simply looking for clarification.

I understand that these are toddlers. I think that it is misleading to state that you are teaching them ASL when, in fact what you are doing is not truly ASL. *shrug*

Babyblue - Patronize you? I am simply looking for clarification.

I understand that these are toddlers. I think that it is misleading to state that you are teaching them ASL when, in fact what you are doing is not truly ASL. *shrug*

Would you prefer me to say I am teaching them BSL???

And it is not misleading.

Back