Teaching Pre Schoolers ASL

Oh? There's research and textbooks out there that will support the fact that people learn to read only by reading and not by hearing at all? How did they do this? Oh yes literacy rates between hearing and deaf..... like I said, there is nothing that holds back the deaf from learning any words. In fact, the deaf kids are probably encouraged to read more than the hearing kids, because for hearing kids, language acquisition is taken for granted.

I would check for literacy rates for a spoken language with the equivalent phonetic language vs a spoken language that has a symbolic language (Mandarin/Chinese). That would be interesting.... but it seems to have other factors to consider (poor education, what is considered "literate", etc). Any insights on this, Jillio?

Yep, there is research and textbooks out there that explain the cognitive processes anyone goes through in learning to read, and the way that the written language is processed.

Any spoken language has a phonetic foundation. Letters are not phonetic in and of themselves, and therefore, are just as symbolic as Mandarin.

Yep, there is research and textbooks out there that explain the cognitive processes anyone goes through in learning to read, and the way that the written language is processed.

Any spoken language has a phonetic foundation. Letters are not phonetic in and of themselves, and therefore, are just as symbolic as Mandarin.

oh my lordy..... Mandarin... possibly one of the most complicated, mind-boggling language ever invented since it does not have syllable structure.

oh my lordy..... Mandarin... possibly one of the most complicated, mind-boggling language ever invented since it does not have syllable structure.

Absolutely. But in written form. the written symbol is still nothing more than a symbol for something else, just as a word is a symbol for something else.

You can say that again...!

I feel kind of behind on mandarin though. I don't know if I should touch up on it to pass onto a future generation or if I'm too twinkie enough to care.

There is clearly no distinction between one letter of the written language and another, it's pure memorization. I think there's some "older" words that can help people picture how it looks, because for example - the word for "Morning" (not the greeting) is a "sun in the horizon."

Quick picture representation:
zhao.jpg

Anyway enough of my derail, I just wanted you guys to feel my pain and suffering.. :lol:

You can say that again...!

I feel kind of behind on mandarin though. I don't know if I should touch up on it to pass onto a future generation or if I'm too twinkie enough to care.

There is clearly no distinction between one letter of the written language and another, it's pure memorization. I think there's some "older" words that can help people picture how it looks, because for example - the word for "Morning" (not the greeting) is a "sun in the horizon."

Quick picture representation:
zhao.jpg

Anyway enough of my derail, I just wanted you guys to feel my pain and suffering.. :lol:

Ni how ma?

Learn to Speak Chinese in 5 Minutes

1. "That's not right"............... Sum Ting Wong
2. "Are you harboring a fugitive?".. Hu Yu Hai Ding
3. "See me ASAP".................... Kum Hia Nao
4. "There goes Stupid Man".......... Dum Dum Wa King
5. "Small Horse".................... Tai Ni Po Ni
6. "Did you go to the beach?"....... Wai Yu So Tan
7. "I bumped into a coffee table"... Ai Bang Mai Ni
8. "I think you need a face lift"... Chin Tu Fat
9. "It's very dark in here"......... Wao So Dim
10. "I thought you were on a diet".. Wai Yu Mun Ching
11. "This is a tow away zone"....... No Pah King
12. "Our meeting is next week"...... Wai Yu Kum Nao
13. "Staying out of sight!"......... Lei Ying Lo
14. "He's cleaning his automobile".. Wa Shing Ka
15. "Your body odor is offensive"... Yu Stin Ki Pu
16. "Great"......................... Su Pah

Learn to Speak Chinese in 5 Minutes

1. "That's not right"............... Sum Ting Wong
2. "Are you harboring a fugitive?".. Hu Yu Hai Ding
3. "See me ASAP".................... Kum Hia Nao
4. "There goes Stupid Man".......... Dum Dum Wa King
5. "Small Horse".................... Tai Ni Po Ni
6. "Did you go to the beach?"....... Wai Yu So Tan
7. "I bumped into a coffee table"... Ai Bang Mai Ni
8. "I think you need a face lift"... Chin Tu Fat
9. "It's very dark in here"......... Wao So Dim
10. "I thought you were on a diet".. Wai Yu Mun Ching
11. "This is a tow away zone"....... No Pah King
12. "Our meeting is next week"...... Wai Yu Kum Nao
13. "Staying out of sight!"......... Lei Ying Lo
14. "He's cleaning his automobile".. Wa Shing Ka
15. "Your body odor is offensive"... Yu Stin Ki Pu
16. "Great"......................... Su Pah

:laugh2: I think you just argued in favor of phonics! :mad2:

Ni how ma?
Wo hen hao. Ni xianzai zhuo shenme ne? ;)

:laugh2: I think you just argued in favor of phonics! :mad2:

I was actually trying to :scratch: most of it.. then when I got to #5 it was another one of those wannabe-wasabi-man jokes again :lol:

That makes me realize, americans makes SO much fun of other culture's language. For instance:

Spanish: My name JUAN CARERRA HERNANDEZ LUIZ GARCIA the 3rd!
Chinese: Wong ching dong long pok fong!! my wang is the uber.
(recent)Israeli/Palestinian: No!nonononono!

Wo hen hao. Ni xianzai zhuo shenme ne? ;)

I was actually trying to :scratch: most of it.. then when I got to #5 it was another one of those wannabe-wasabi-man jokes again :lol:

That makes me realize, americans makes SO much fun of other culture's language. For instance:

Spanish: My name JUAN CARERRA HERNANDEZ LUIZ GARCIA the 3rd!
Chinese: Wong ching dong long pok fong!! my wang is the uber.
(recent)Israeli/Palestinian: No!nonononono!

Bummer. Lost my Mandarin dictionary. :(

Back