Survey of Bi-Bi programs - Empirical Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already had apoplexy and am spending the rest of the day in light entertainment.:aw:

apoplexy? That sounds like a powerful glue :laugh2:.... probably confusing it with Epoxy.

EDIT - oh wow.... My terrible joke just got backfired right into my face....... excuse me for my insensitivity.... I just googled it and it means a stroke. Rest well, Bott!!!

Let me try to explain this another way. Say the standardized scores for the various reading levels are as follows:

15=2nd grade level
25=4th grade level
35=6th grade level
45=8th grade level
65=10th grade level
75=12th grade level

We test 150 students matched for age and demographics. These are the results:

15 get a score of 15
15 get a score of 25
25 get a score of 35
20 get a score of 45
15 get a score of 65
10 get a score of 75

Out of those 150 students, all scores combined, the average score would be 25, or a 6th grade level mean.

That is a very simplified explanation with imaginary, not acutal data, but perhaps that will show how the average score of a 4th grade level is arrived at despite the fact that some fall above and some fall below the average.

You bring up a very good point. That's why when I read about research, I read about their methodology (most, if not all, research articles who actually does the statistic sampling gives their methodology) and there are times where I don't feel that their methodology is good enough (I read one where they took 20 deaf kids from ONE place in order to compare them to hearing people). That's why I take statistics with a grain of salt. I am a perfect example for someone who is most likely will NOT appear to be a part of a statistic because I was not part of anything involved with deaf programs. The only way to get me is if someone used audiologists or speech therapists as part of their statistic methods. I am trying to balance what I hear from AD and what statistics tell me. Its tough!

Exactly. One must, must, read the methods section, the participants section, and the statistical analysis in order to properly evaluate the research.

That is why I supplied the links allowing one to do so in the posts I just referenced.

Let me try to explain this another way. Say the standardized scores for the various reading levels are as follows:

15=2nd grade level
25=4th grade level
35=6th grade level
45=8th grade level
65=10th grade level
75=12th grade level

We test 150 students matched for age and demographics. These are the results:

15 get a score of 15
15 get a score of 25
25 get a score of 35
20 get a score of 45
15 get a score of 65
10 get a score of 75

Out of those 150 students, all scores combined, the average score would be 25, or a 6th grade level mean.

That is a very simplified explanation with imaginary, not acutal data, but perhaps that will show how the average score of a 4th grade level is arrived at despite the fact that some fall above and some fall below the average.

Standard deviation at its best!! God, I hated my statistics classes. Lol

apoplexy? That sounds like a powerful glue :laugh2:.... probably confusing it with Epoxy.

EDIT - oh wow.... My terrible joke just got backfired right into my face....... excuse me for my insensitivity.... I just googled it and it means a stroke. Rest well, Bott!!!

:laugh2: No problem! I would have like to see your face though when you realized!:laugh2:

:laugh2: No problem! I would have like to see your face though when you realized!:laugh2:

it went from :cool2: to :-o to :doh:
and now with your sense of humor on this... my face's now :cool2:

it went from :cool2: to :-o to :doh:
and now with your sense of humor on this... my face's now :cool2:

Good, I am glad you are ok too Jiro. Now quick, back into the fray!

Standard deviation at its best!! God, I hated my statistics classes. Lol

:laugh2: Yeah, I guess I could have done a scatter plot and a bell curve, as well, but thought this was the simplest way to explain how the statistic is arrived at. Of course, it is a bit more complicated than that, but it is a general idea.

No it is really ok and I am ok, this incident was some time ago. I am fine!

Good to know that you're fine. =)

(Sorry, Forgive me for the short off-topic here)

:laugh2: Yeah, I guess I could have done a scatter plot and a bell curve, as well, but thought this was the simplest way to explain how the statistic is arrived at. Of course, it is a bit more complicated than that, but it is a general idea.

yup.... gotta hate more and more variables and factors added in... (especially uncontrolled type) :slap:
SAS program was too mind-boggling for me to use.....

yup.... gotta hate more and more variables and factors added in... (especially uncontrolled type) :slap:
SAS program was too mind-boggling for me to use.....

I prefer SPSS. Much more user friendly. But I actually learned to compute without the use of a computer program. Six page ANOVAs by hand!:dizzy:

I prefer SPSS. Much more user friendly. But I actually learned to compute without the use of a computer program. Six page ANOVAs by hand!:dizzy:

stfu! you pimply-faced nerd! :dizzy:

Off-topic...

I'm currently taking a Statistics course and SPSS has been a lifesaver. :) I can't imagine doing computations by hand (especially in Braille since it takes up faaar more room than print). Jillio, 6 page ANOVAs by hand? Yikes! :shock:

Okay...back on topic. :)

Off-topic...

I'm currently taking a Statistics course and SPSS has been a lifesaver. :) I can't imagine doing computations by hand (especially in Braille since it takes up faaar more room than print). Jillio, 6 page ANOVAS by hand? Yikes! :shock:

Okay...back on topic. :)

probably one of those types who write like this :o

Ya know what's even worse? Doing ANOVAs by hand THEN using Matlab programming to verify your answers. That's just cruel when you KNOW you will also do the easier method too!

Back on topic: Food for thought - who is more likely to NOT show up on statistics? The deaf kids who are doing well or the ones who are doing bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back