Stem cell available in Kansas City

Let me chime in. I am in agreement with Kokonut and Onesided(and the rest of the pro-stem cell guys)

The anti-stem cell guys have been wrong on every count. They come across as rude, misinformed, argumentative and excuses on why stem cells couldn't possibly work. They don't want to read any facts or sources on stem cells. When I point this out, they become defensive. I am done arguing with them and will just let them be. They can't stop me or anyone else from exercising our choice to get stem cells. I respect the anti-stem cell choice to stay deaf/Deaf. The pro-stem cell choice is to become hearing or at least move in that direction.

Regarding experimenting my son/daughter on stem cells, I would first wait for stem cells to be proven a success on myself and/or hundreds of others first unless my child had no residual hearing. If it was a choice between HAs or CI, why in the world would I risk an invasive head surgery for my children or even myself? I grew up with old analog HA technology and even those HAs gave me access to about half the speech banana as well as the ability to hear high frequencies, including most whistles. If the HAs I wear today were invented when I was little, I would be hearing at 20-30db(with transposition) and understanding 70% speech despite a severe-profound loss. I am a big fan of HA technology because it's safe and noninvasive. And for those who have no residual hearing, CI was an option for a long time and now stem cells is an option. I will be saving my children's(and my own) residual hearing for stem cells. Ill take my chances with stem cells anyday over CI, see below:

Q. How can Nepsis doctors and scientists be sure the cells that employ are safe?
A. Bone marrow and bone marrow-derived stem and progenitor cells have been used
in scores of animal studies and tens of thousands of transplants in people with
leukemia - without spawning dire diseases. In addition, when the cocktail of stem
cells e.g., MIAMI, multipotent adult progenitors and such that Nepsis scientists and
techs is transformed into the desired cell - say a neuron-like cell or heart cell - the
chances that these cells would become something else or produce cancer is miniscule.
Fat-derived stem cells have been extensively used in animals and humans without
producing cancer or other ills. The same can be said of umbilical cord blood, umbilical
cord stem cells and placental stem cells (Even mismatched cord blood has been shown
to benefit people with certain forms of cancer).

Safety: The various allogenic (donor) cell types used in the Ramirez program are
certifiably free of all disease causing microorganisms such as hepatitis A, B & C,
HIV (cause of AIDS), etc. (The cell screening conforms to US Blood Bank
standards). In addition, no adverse reactions or rejection has occurred in the more
than 500 patients treated to-date with various adult stem & progenitor cells
(Especially cord blood stem cells).

kokonut......ever read Flowers For Algernon? An MR man got an operation to make him smart. Everyone thought "YAY!!!! A CURE!" It worked initially but it turned out that the surgery was temporary and he regressed back to being MR.
To everyone else who is pro stem cell. One of the beefs I have with the stem cell research is that they imply that ALL hearing loss will be cured.
It is TOO soon to tell. Quite frankley I think that when stem cell comes around, most late deafened adults as well as dhh as teens will respond well. However those with genetic losses and dhh as babies won't respond since they have never known what its like to be able to hear normally. You remember that Oliver Sacks story abt the blind guy who had the operation to be able to see? He COULD see....but it wasn't at ALL like the way sighted people think of as seeing.
Also geneticly dhh folks will still have the gene that causes the damage.
It would be awesome if this helped a lot of late deaf folks......and THAT is the population that will most benifit. Their brains know how to interpret sound the way a hearing person inteprets sound...they just need better equiptment.

kokonut......ever read Flowers For Algernon? An MR man got an operation to make him smart. Everyone thought "YAY!!!! A CURE!" It worked initially but it turned out that the surgery was temporary and he regressed back to being MR.

omfgwtf lol!!!!! I was almost like this -

25oxc75.jpg

It does not mention hearing gain as one of the things being treated.

You don't really want to attempt to argue semantics with me.

Treating hearing gain would involve trying to reduce someone's ability to hear. *smh*

Oh and Deafdude....we are NOT anti stem cell!!! We're just saying it's still in the maybe it could help camp or maybe it couldn't.
You also have to remember that while we have conquered things like smallpox tuberlescuis (sp?) and some diseases which can cause disabilites we still haven't been able to cure ANY physical/sensory disabilites. We have been able to amleioarate them, yes.......but we're still extremely far from a cure for physical/sensory disabilites.

Oh and Deafdude....we are NOT anti stem cell!!! We're just saying it's still in the maybe it could help camp or maybe it couldn't.
You also have to remember that while we have conquered things like smallpox tuberlescuis (sp?) and some diseases which can cause disabilites we still haven't been able to cure ANY physical/sensory disabilites. We have been able to amleioarate them, yes.......but we're still extremely far from a cure for physical/sensory disabilites.

:gpost:

To everyone else who is pro stem cell. One of the beefs I have with the stem cell research is that they imply that ALL hearing loss will be cured.
It is TOO soon to tell. Quite frankley I think that when stem cell comes around, most late deafened adults as well as dhh as teens will respond well. However those with genetic losses and dhh as babies won't respond since they have never known what its like to be able to hear normally. You remember that Oliver Sacks story abt the blind guy who had the operation to be able to see? He COULD see....but it wasn't at ALL like the way sighted people think of as seeing.
Also geneticly dhh folks will still have the gene that causes the damage.
It would be awesome if this helped a lot of late deaf folks......and THAT is the population that will most benifit. Their brains know how to interpret sound the way a hearing person inteprets sound...they just need better equiptment.

Do you have an example (link) of that statementfrom the stem cell research community implying that stem cells will cure all hearing loss?

As for hearing loss, there are all kinds, including genetic and what not, but the majority of people with hearing loss lies have sensorineural hearing loss or nerve deafness. This is where adult stem cells could have the greatest potential success in treating hearing loss.

That'd be incorrect. There is now a cure or restoration for a certain vision loss/blindness. One patient used his own adult stem cells was able to recover fully his damaged eyesight 100% when at one time he was once legally blind in one eye. That happened this year in a clinical trial in England.

Last edited:
kokonut....just read the pr stuff from the stem cell research places. They imply that ALL cases of hearing loss will be CURED! YAY!
I know that most people with deafness have sensonereal losses.......but you miss the point that different etoilogies, histories etc could provide drasticly different results.
And that case in England.....that was probaly an aquirred sight loss condition.
People who aquirred disabilites and who have a history of seeing, hearing whatever normally are going to be at a HUGE advantage over someone who while they may have some sight or hearing (through glasses hearing aids etc) they never knew what its like to hear/see normally. Make sense?

That'd be incorrect. There is now a cure or restoration for a certain vision loss/blindness. One patient used his own adult stem cells was able to recover fully his damaged eyesight by a 100% when at one time that person was once legally blind in one eye. That happened this year in a clinical trial in England.

I think that used a tooth? And was more for damage to the outer eye and not the retina.

Which is where the hope for stem cells may be in the eye.

Do you have an example (link) of that statementfrom the stem cell research community implying that stem cells will cure all hearing loss?

As for hearing loss, there are all kinds, including genetic and what not, but the majority of people with hearing loss lies have sensorineural hearing loss or nerve deafness. This is where adult stem cells could have the greatest potential success in treating hearing loss.

Connexin 26 disrupts the potassium flow in the inner ear. Connexin 26 causes up to 50% of nonsyndromic hearing loss present from birth. How is stem cells going to fix that? Even if you grow new hair cells, the lack of potassium flow in the inner ear will kill them again.

That is a huge population than stem cells can't help.

Dang. I recall that Kansas Medicaid covers CI there, but not Missouri. I know, I know, this is off-topic but still...

kokonut....just read the pr stuff from the stem cell research places. They imply that ALL cases of hearing loss will be CURED! YAY!
I know that most people with deafness have sensonereal losses.......but you miss the point that different etoilogies, histories etc could provide drasticly different results.
And that case in England.....that was probaly an aquirred sight loss condition.
People who aquirred disabilites and who have a history of seeing, hearing whatever normally are going to be at a HUGE advantage over someone who while they may have some sight or hearing (through glasses hearing aids etc) they never knew what its like to hear/see normally. Make sense?

I don't see any PRs implying that. Can you provide me a source you are claiming?

Connexin 26 disrupts the potassium flow in the inner ear. Connexin 26 causes up to 50% of nonsyndromic hearing loss present from birth. How is stem cells going to fix that? Even if you grow new hair cells, the lack of potassium flow in the inner ear will kill them again.

That is a huge population than stem cells can't help.

Connexin 26 is a genetic condition. Gene therapy is a very real but possible avenue in addressing that, not stem cells therapy.

Read here:
Scientist Solutions - Gene therapy for connexin 26

Back