Stem cell available in Kansas City

Connexin 26 is a genetic condition. Gene therapy is a very real but possible avenue in addressing that, not stem cells therapy.

Read here:
Scientist Solutions - Gene therapy for connexin 26

So, 50% of people deaf since birth will not be able to use stem cells. Even though they have a SN hearing loss, stem cells will not help. Is that what you are saying?

No, he is just saying that eventually the Connexion 26 gene won't exist anymore. Nothing about the current generation of deaf folks.

No, he is just saying that eventually the Connexion 26 gene won't exist anymore. Nothing about the current generation of deaf folks.

99% of recessive gene holder have no idea they have it. Why would they seek genetic counseling before they have a child? Oh, and it is the most prevalent genetic "defect". Scienctists believe it carries benefits, and that is why it continues to be passed along.

(To all) So, in essence genetically deaf people can not get stem cells? That is 50% of the people born deaf.....This "cure" is getting smaller and smaller

And Kokonut, you're assuming that the connexion gene is all bad.
For all you know turning it off could provide unforeseen conseqneces. It's also very mild genetically overall.
As for your PR cites you're demanding....just look at the LANGAUGE they are using. It's ALL about " we can restore hearing. Stem cells will cure hearing loss"

They are after folks like me first--the ones with the dominant gene. 50% chance of inheritance.

And Kokonut, you're assuming that the connexion gene is all bad.
For all you know turning it off could provide unforeseen conseqneces. It's also very mild genetically overall.
As for your PR cites you're demanding....just look at the LANGAUGE they are using. It's ALL about " we can restore hearing. Stem cells will cure hearing loss"

I am assuming that? Now, you have the ability to read minds?

99% of recessive gene holder have no idea they have it. Why would they seek genetic counseling before they have a child? Oh, and it is the most prevalent genetic "defect". Scienctists believe it carries benefits, and that is why it continues to be passed along.

(To all) So, in essence genetically deaf people can not get stem cells? That is 50% of the people born deaf.....This "cure" is getting smaller and smaller

http://www.soreeclinic.com/ear_center/hearing/GJB2.pdf

2/3 have a severe HL, 1/3 are profoundly deaf. Less than 3% are moderately HOH. Lots of good information.

Deaf Genetics Project

Two-thirds of people with Connexin 26-related deafness will have audiograms that fall into the profound-to-severe range, but there is quite a bit of variability in the range of hearing loss, including audiograms that fall into the mild and moderate range, and unilateral deafness, even among family members with the same genetic cause of deafness.

http://arep.med.harvard.edu/pdf/Aging/Izumikawa05.pdf

Should stem cells fail to improve my hearing, I will be tested for genetic causes of deafness and wait for genetic therapy to extend to humans. Proof of concept has already been established. I think there's a good chance many who have a genetic basis for their hearing loss can at least achieve partial improvement with stem cells. After all, two people with the same genetic defect can have different audiograms. Person A could get stem cells and have his hearing improved so it's similar to person B who has better hearing to begin with.

DD, how would stem cells fix the potassium problem? So you regrow the cells, hearing improves, then they just get redamaged.

DD, there are only a handful of *identified* genes that cause deafness. If you get tested and you don't have mutations in these particular genes, that does not exclude a genetic cause. You may have a mutation in a gene that scientists have not yet identified as causing deafness.

I've researched genetic deafness and there aren't many answers yet.

Back