Stem cell available in Kansas City

pick any stem cell and procedure of your choice in any country. would you do it? or for your child?

I'm thinking several if I have those conditions or my child have them, yes, I'd do it. But it'd be adult stem cells only since those have been shown to be more successful.

I'm thinking several if I have those conditions or my child have them, yes, I'd do it. But it'd be adult stem cells only since those have been shown to be more successful.

no problem at all. It is entirely your choice and nobody else. Best of luck to you or your child if that moment comes!

I support anybody's choice to restore his/her hearing but I only hope that he/she is making an informed decision.

If the medical procedure is shown and proven to be effective using adult stem cells, yes. You have a problem with that?

same as previous post. I support anybody's choice to restore his/her hearing but I only hope that he/she is making an informed decision.

If the medical procedure is shown and proven to be effective using adult stem cells, yes. You have a problem with that?

That is a big IF, and we are not there yet.

I have no idea if it will happen, but my point is that we are not there yet.

Did you know that the first cochlear implant was placed in 1957?

Let's assume that this ONE SINGLE woman's case is true, and repeatable for all people with SN hearing loss (HUGE assumption)....welcome to the CI of 1957. It took literally 50 years to get CI's to where they are today. It took years of experiments, inntovation, and use to get to where we are today.

That is why the idea of getting stem cells is still obscene to me. We know nothing about the long term effecacy or safety. We don't know anything!! Why would you race out to do something to yourself that can not be reversed, and that you have no idea what will happen??

You cannot compare medical and technological advances that took 50 years starting from 1957 to that of the current medical and technological advances of today and the speed of discovery and application it takes. It's a case of apples versus oranges. Stem cells for hearing loss began in 1997, and already we have seen a few cases where hearing loss improved with the use of adult stem cells seen in medical journals. Adult stems to help improve the heart muscle is just starting in clinical trials now and this was looked into but only 4 or 5 years ago.

That is a big IF, and we are not there yet.

I have no idea if it will happen, but my point is that we are not there yet.

No "if" here but a "when." It will happen (short of an all out nuclear war, famine or meteorite strkes). Just a matter of time. How long? Could be a lot closer than we think.

No "if" here but a "when." It will happen (short of an all out nuclear war, famine or meteorite strkes). Just a matter of time. How long? Could be a lot closer than we think.

Or it could turn out to not work in the long term and then we are back to square one.

Or it could turn out to not work in the long term and then we are back to square one.

Highly doubtful based on the numerous medical journals I've been reading over the last few years. Progress is being made believe it or not.

Highly doubtful based on the numerous medical journals I've been reading over the last few years. Progress is being made believe it or not.

I believe in progress and timelines. I don't believe in "cure" and "right now".

Why not? We have a cure right now for a certain vision loss using adult stem cells. It may not be "right now" but certainly not 50 years or even 10 years with the way things are progressing at this moment.

Why not? We have a cure right now for a certain vision loss using adult stem cells. It may not be "right now" but certainly not 50 years or even 10 years with the way things are progressing at this moment.

I think in 20 years we might start having reliable, studied results. And then we will have FDA approved treatments in adults. And then, later in children.

I think in 20 years we might start having reliable, studied results. And then we will have FDA approved treatments in adults. And then, later in children.

Problem is that stem cells research do not revolve only around the United States. Other countries that have same or similar research protocols and clinical trial guidelines are more apt to move faster to get things done. FDA is notoriously know for their slowness in approving medical procedures despite having a fast track option which may shave off only a few years worth of waiting.

Problem is that stem cells research do not revolve only around the United States. Other countries that have same or similar research protocols and clinical trial guidelines are more apt to move faster to get things done. FDA is notoriously know for their slowness in approving medical procedures despite having a fast track option which may shave off only a few years worth of waiting.

But I think it is absurd to jump into getting a medical procedure done because one person somewhere might have gotten benefit.

I would certainly never do something to my child that is experimental (unless her life depended on it). It is unreasonable to put your child at risk for something that is unproven.

Boy! see what I started?
TO further stir the pot, I read last week that Scientist have found the trigger that turns on the stem cells for various functions. IE Heart repair, eye repair and so forth. This would seem to me to be a big step in the stem cell research.
Oh and by the way I can read now thanks to new lens implants.

Boy! see what I started?
TO further stir the pot, I read last week that Scientist have found the trigger that turns on the stem cells for various functions. IE Heart repair, eye repair and so forth. This would seem to me to be a big step in the stem cell research.
Oh and by the way I can read now thanks to new lens implants.

Bob, I am legally blind. It is not getting fixed unless they do stemcells for the retinal damages I have. I have my screen on text enlarged by my daughter who is handy at IT.

I am profoundly HOH too. I would have thought Deaf was enough, but maybe God has a plan.

Lots of people here have lots of problems. And lots of people your age have cataract surgery. My stepmother did.

Don't you understand that in spite of your age your life is not that bad?

Or maybe you just liked to complain in your youth too. :shrug:

Maybe try Dale Carnegie?

Did you know that the first cochlear implant was placed in 1957?

Let's assume that this ONE SINGLE woman's case is true, and repeatable for all people with SN hearing loss (HUGE assumption)....welcome to the CI of 1957. It took literally 50 years to get CI's to where they are today. It took years of experiments, inntovation, and use to get to where we are today.

That is why the idea of getting stem cells is still obscene to me. We know nothing about the long term effecacy or safety. We don't know anything!! Why would you race out to do something to yourself that can not be reversed, and that you have no idea what will happen??

Firstly I suggest you look into it for your own knowledge. Stem cells offer a natural treatment. So it is unlikely to be 50 years because there will be no mechanical tweaking involved. Simple observations, innovations in delivery, and perhaps further research. But for today they may they may improve/reduce but not necessarily result in a complete restoration.

There were probably people like you arguing that CI shouldn’t be used in 1957 and the deaf/Hoh should remain deaf and live rather than risk their life in surgery. The point is this, with all scienfic breakthroughs initially there’s is risk. In 1957 the first CI patient risked his/her life but the suggery worked and CI is what they are today. Likewise today the is risk, however it has been limited in animal studies and a successful case - Chloe Sohl. And many others currently are being conducted.

Why would you race out to do something to yourself that cannot be reversed and that you have no idea what will happen?" CI’s cannot be reversed as it further damages the ear? Whereas stem cells are natural, i.e. they are found in the human body. Finally I want to let YOU know that I have checked this and no one has reportedly died or got worse from Stem cell treatment.
OK - let's say the hospital is offering stem cell procedure for FREE. Wondering which of you will gladly sign up for it... RIGHT NOW?

:hmm:
Good question, personally I would wait a little until 3 to ten pioneers have been successfully treated and documented. Including Chloe Sohl ;)

I love to hear and love to listen but I as well will not get a treatment that isn't proven to work...I was hearing all my life til i was 16 so I of all people know what it's like to hear and then not and it's a bit tough at first. Not that I mind being deaf, I wear hearing aids and when it comes time I will get CI. I do not want to get a treatment or procedure that hasn't been done thousands or millions of times on human beings and proven to work.

Ermmm Okay I understand your rationale. But think of it another way if in 2010, eleven people get successfully treated with stem cells would you still get CI's? Im not for or against CI's BTW. Depending on your age, you might not get to see stem cells tested thousands of time if you happy with getting CI then I am happy for you :) Im only deaf in one ear, but if I was deaf in both i would rather try Stem cells than CI's

Bob, I am legally blind. It is not getting fixed unless they do stemcells for the retinal damages I have. I have my screen on text enlarged by my daughter who is handy at IT.

I am profoundly HOH too. I would have thought Deaf was enough, but maybe God has a plan.

Lots of people here have lots of problems. And lots of people your age have cataract surgery. My stepmother did.

Don't you understand that in spite of your age your life is not that bad?

Or maybe you just liked to complain in your youth too. :shrug:

Maybe try Dale Carnegie?

Not complaining, @#$%^^&&**((

If people don't have clean water, I'm not going to let them experiment on me.

Well that does it, you have demonstrated your ignorance and proven that you dislike the concept of stem cells I respect that choice and opinion. But what makes you a hypocrite is that you are hearing..I’m struggling to see why you are against stem cells when you know how valuable, ho vital hearing (normally) can be?

Firstly I suggest you look into it for your own knowledge. Stem cells offer a natural treatment. So it is unlikely to be 50 years because there will be no mechanical tweaking involved. Simple observations, innovations in delivery, and perhaps further research. But for today they may they may improve/reduce but not necessarily result in a complete restoration.

There were probably people like you arguing that CI shouldn’t be used in 1957 and the deaf/Hoh should remain deaf and live rather than risk their life in surgery. The point is this, with all scienfic breakthroughs initially there’s is risk. In 1957 the first CI patient risked his/her life but the suggery worked and CI is what they are today. Likewise today the is risk, however it has been limited in animal studies and a successful case - Chloe Sohl. And many others currently are being conducted.

Why would you race out to do something to yourself that cannot be reversed and that you have no idea what will happen?" CI’s cannot be reversed as it further damages the ear? Whereas stem cells are natural, i.e. they are found in the human body. Finally I want to let YOU know that I have checked this and no one has reportedly died or got worse from Stem cell treatment.

Good question, personally I would wait a little until 3 to ten pioneers have been successfully treated and documented. Including Chloe Sohl ;)

Ermmm Okay I understand your rationale. But think of it another way if in 2010, eleven people get successfully treated with stem cells would you still get CI's? Im not for or against CI's BTW. Depending on your age, you might not get to see stem cells tested thousands of time if you happy with getting CI then I am happy for you :) Im only deaf in one ear, but if I was deaf in both i would rather try Stem cells than CI's

FJ has a daughter with a CI.

Back