South Carolina policeman charged with murder

I don't know why he was running but Scott was a 50-year-old man, who didn't appear to have a runner's build, so I don't know what we should expect to see for speed.

He had a warrant for unpaid child support .And he could of feared for his life
with all the shooting that happen lately.
Do you mean Scott thought the cop was going to shoot him in the car because of the warrant?

Also, if that was the case, why would he leave his passenger behind to face the cop?

I guess we'll never know.

You will run faster then that if your truly scared for your life,
In my experience anyway,
butwe dont know what he was suffering from,he could of been winded by the tossle,he could of really not been scared, maybe of arrest but not of being cold blooded murdered as he did.

A warrant for his arrest for failure to pay child support... he only just need to appear in court and may order him to pay support or stay in jail. He may not want to go to jail, but fleeing a police would only make things worse... adding up another charge to him for fleeing a police/resisting arrest.

Do you mean Scott thought the cop was going to shoot him in the car because of the warrant?

Also, if that was the case, why would he leave his passenger behind to face the cop?

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Scott told his passenger why he was going to run before he exited the car? There may be some more answers.

Why flee in the first place? If the driver has no insurance... he'd most likely get a ticket and probably impound his car. Better than going to jail for fleeing a police.

He has no registration - more bound for arrest.

He has no registration - more bound for arrest.

Warrant for child support...broken tail light...no registration...no insurance....wheeee!...he knew he was bound for the jail house....So, he's up and away....Catch me if you can...feel most likely he avoided all Cops until he was finally pulled over for the broken tail light. Then he knew his goose was cooked....And this 50 year old Cop knew he couldn't catch him...so he shot him.....And add another charge of eluding and fleeing a police officer...(even tho' he was dead)....

Shooting the guy in the legs would have been a better option, wouldn't it?...But someone said..."Cops are trained to shoot to kill"....:hmm:

Warrant for child support...broken tail light...no registration...no insurance....wheeee!...he knew he was bound for the jail house....So, he's up and away....Catch me if you can...feel most likely he avoided all Cops until he was finally pulled over for the broken tail light. Then he knew his goose was cooked....And this 50 year old Cop knew he couldn't catch him...so he shot him.....And add another charge of eluding and fleeing a police officer...(even tho' he was dead)....

Shooting the guy in the legs would have been a better option, wouldn't it?...But someone said..."Cops are trained to shoot to kill"....:hmm:
Not shooting at all would be the best option.

Slager had Scott's DL in hand, so he could have tracked him down later.

The pig wasnt 50, the victim was, the pig was early 30s

NRA and GOA said shot in legs don't work (high chance - missing or hit other people) so you need shooting at his body.

On TV I just saw a witness say that she saw the two men in a confrontation and tussle in the time prior to the cell phone video.

I did not say that ! I said b/c of all the shooting that happen he could had feared for his life , . We'll never know what was going on in his mind , all I can think of is that we have a Black man being pulled over by a White cop and the Black guy may had started fearing for his life b/c of what been going on in the news . This had to been very frighten for the guy to has run like that . He had no idea what the cop was going to next .

Phoooey!...don't believe the man "thought" the cop would shoot him...watching the video...it was a peaceful encounter!...The black guy knew he was going to jail...so he ran.

I did not say that ! I said b/c of all the shooting that happen he could had feared for his life , .
That's why I asked. I don't understand what you mean. What did he fear would happen to his life if he stayed in the car?

We'll never know what was going on in his mind , all I can think of is that we have a Black man being pulled over by a White cop and the Black guy may had started fearing for his life b/c of what been going on in the news .
That's why I hope the passenger in the car will say something.

It still seems strange that if he thought his life was in danger in the car, that he would abandon his passenger to that danger.

If they add captions or subtitles to the dash cam video, that will be good.

Just to add--when the cop approaches the driver of the car, he speaks calmly the whole time. He doesn't sound angry or threatening at all. He just asks the standard traffic stop questions.

If they add captions or subtitles to the dash cam video, that will be good.

Just to add--when the cop approaches the driver of the car, he speaks calmly the whole time. He doesn't sound angry or threatening at all. He just asks the standard traffic stop questions.

and he said HAVE A SEAT IN THE CAR or something when the driver got out

In the recent dash cam video transcript, the cop did told him to stay in the seat in the car when he 1st came out. The 2nd time after a few mins, there seem to be a conversation between the two and then he got out again and ran away.

The question to why he ran away is that he knew he has a warrant out for him which is why cop came back to his patrol car to run his name and license plate. If he stayed in the car and cooperate, this would not happen and we will never hear it in the news. But he ran and then we hear another episode of Ferguson all over again.

It would save him the time and money to go to jail instead of facing more consequences of fleeing the police/resisting arrest. This guy made a poor choice to flee and the dash video proves that but the witness video proves the cop did the wrongdoing with tampering the evidences.

One difference between N. Charleston and Ferguson is that the SC authorities moved a lot quicker and more openly with the case.

I hope the other difference will be that protests here will remain peaceful, unlike what happened in Ferguson. So far, we've only had a few roads blocked and some shouting.

I truly believe that if the out-of-towners stay out of town, things will stay calm. But if Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson get involved, who knows?

In the recent dash cam video transcript, the cop did told him to stay in the seat in the car when he 1st came out. The 2nd time after a few mins, there seem to be a conversation between the two and then he got out again and ran away.

The question to why he ran away is that he knew he has a warrant out for him which is why cop came back to his patrol car to run his name and license plate. If he stayed in the car and cooperate, this would not happen and we will never hear it in the news. But he ran and then we hear another episode of Ferguson all over again.

It would save him the time and money to go to jail instead of facing more consequences of fleeing the police/resisting arrest. This guy made a poor choice to flee and the dash video proves that but the witness video proves the cop did the wrongdoing with tampering the evidences.

When I got pulled over in Boston for being a Black man in the late 60's I refused to stop at first b/c the cops were in an unmarked car . All 3 of us were scared, I was with a friend of my b/f too we had no idea what was going to happen to us. We were pulled over by 3 White plainclothes cops b/c I was with a Black man and this was scary so I can imagination it had to been very frighten for this Black man , some people take flight when they feel in danger . I would say he acted out fear and I can't blame him , if there had not been so shooting of a Black man by a White cop recently the guy may
not had over reacted.

From Navy Times:

The two men at the center of a racially charged shooting in South Carolina are Coast Guard veterans.

North Charleston police officer Michael T. Slager, 33, and the unarmed black man he shot following a routine traffic stop, 50-year-old Walter L. Scott, served as junior enlisted Coast Guardsmen earlier in their lives, according to service records provided to Navy Times.

. . .

Personnel records show that Slager served in the Coast Guard from 2003 to 2009, last serving at Station Cape Canaveral, Florida, as an unrated fireman before his honorable discharge.

His service record is unusual as most enlisted qualify for a rating within a few years of service and move up the petty officer ranks, a retired Coast Guard captain told Navy Times.

The Coast Guard is known for long wait times for "A" school, retired Capt. Jim Howe said, but six years is highly unlikely.

"It's possible he got rated and then through nonjudicial punishment or court-martial was reduced in rate back to E-3, but that is just speculation," he said. The Coast Guard was unable to provide a full record of his dates of rank, awards and duty stations on Thursday.

It's also possible that he was on a long wait-list for "A" school and then had some sort of medical setback that kept him from professional training, Howe said.

"Very curious, if you ask me," Howe added.

Scott received a general discharge under honorable conditions stemming from a drug charge in 1986. He served two years and was last stationed at Coast Guard Yard in Baltimore as an unrated fireman apprentice.

Navy Times

Back