South Carolina policeman charged with murder

Councilman Says Support 'Hard-Working' Officer

A senior councilman in the South Carolina city where Walter Scott was shot dead told NBC News on Wednesday that the city should support the "hard-working officer" charged with murder.

Bobby Jameson, who is also a cabinet member and mayor pro tem, also criticized protests outside City Hall.

"The NAACP and those people make it look like, to the rest of the black community, that you are doing something by screaming 'Justice, Justice, Justice,'" he said. "Well, a man's already been charged with murder. What more justice do you want?"

"Let's have the facts come out," he added. "That demonstration out here has nothing to do with the city of North Charleston. It has to do with the show that they want to put on to the black community across the nation."

Michael Slager, a white police officer, was charged with murder on Tuesday in the shooting death of Scott, who was black and apparently unarmed. Video shot by a bystander appears to show Slager firing eight times as Scott ran away from him.

Jameson said that the city should support the officer "as best we can until all the facts about this case are out because, one, he's a hard-working officer and, two, he's an employee of this city."

Use of deadly force by police in Ferguson, Missouri, and in New York and Cleveland, among other places, has generated debate about policing, particularly in confrontations with unarmed black men.

Jameson said that his city does not have a race problem. "What we have is a drug problem," he said.

Last year, a football coach at the city's predominantly white Academic Magnet High School was fired, and then reinstated, after postgame celebrations that officials said had racial overtones, with players smashing watermelons and making ape-like sounds.

The population of 103,000 people in North Charleston is 47 percent black and 37 percent white. The police force is 80 percent white, The New York Times reported, citing Justice Department data.

The South Carolina ACLU said on Twitter than an investigation into the police department was "overdue."

Asked whether the police department needs change, Jameson said: "We have our issues. If I could make some changes, I would. I'm sure any city across the nation would probably say they could make some changes, but all in all our police officers walking the streets … do very good work and a very good job. Our nation has a high crime rate, and it is mostly drug-related."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/wa...man-says-support-hard-working-officer-n337916

Just frightening..because my hubby and son are black. Really, I don't know what to think. Just glad the guy caught it all on video.

That video showed nothing less then straight cold blooded murder...
How true, lucky it was.caught on vid, or it would be same old, same old..

Had to see the video closely again... the taser was dropped on purpose behind the officer. He fires his gun as the person was running away, shot 4 times in the back. Officer then runs back to pick up the taser and tried to plant it next to the victim.

I'm glad the officer is charged and is fired from his job. He does not deserve to be in the department to serve and protect the community. He is disgraceful to the community, I'm also glad this is all caught on video.

I saw on the news tonight with David Muir that no cops has been charged for firing a gun in South Carolina , I can't find the video for this. I am not sure if this is on line yet .

Man who recorded S.C. man being shot by cop speaks out

The bystander who recorded video that appears to show a white police officer shooting an unarmed black man in the back in South Carolina said there was a struggle between the two men before the deadly shooting, but the officer had control of the situation before he opened fire.

In an exclusive interview with "NBC Nightly News" anchor Lester Holt on Wednesday, Feidin Santana said he started recording after he heard a Taser being deployed.

"Before I started recording, they were down on the floor. I remember the police [officer] had control of the situation," Santana said. "He had control of Scott. And Scott was trying just to get away from the Taser. But like I said, he never used the Taser against the cop."

"As you can see in the video, the police officer just shot him in the back," Santana said. "I knew right away, I had something on my hands."

Officer Michael Slager, 33, was arrested and charged with murder Tuesday for the fatal shooting of Walter Scott, 50, after a traffic stop in North Charleston Saturday. The video appears to show Slager shooting Scott in the back as he was running away from the officer.

Santana turned the video over to Scott's family. "They were very emotional when that happened, including me also," he said.

"I thought about his position, their situation ... If I were to have a family member that would happen [to], I would like to know the truth," Santana said.

He has been called a "hero" by attorneys for the family, but Santana said there are no winners in the situation.

"It's not something that no one can feel happy about. He has his family, Mr. Scott also has his family," Santana said. "But I think, you know, he [the officer] made a bad decision, and you pay for your decisions in this life."

"Mr. Scott didn't deserve this, and there were other ways that can be used to get him arrested, and that wasn't the proper way to do that."

Slager claimed Scott took his Taser and that he feared for his life. The video shows an object being thrown to the ground and Scott running away, and a delay before the officer fires seven times, pauses, and fires an eighth time.

Police Chief Eddie Driggers said when he watched the video of the encounter, "I was sickened by what I saw."

North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey announced Wednesday that Slager was fired. He also ordered body cameras for the police force. Every officer on the street will wear one after a policy is established and the force is trained, Summey said.

Slager is being held without bond at Charleston County Jail.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...-walter-scott-being-shot-speaks-out/25493189/

I don't see this being an easy trial. From what I've read, the witness
said both the cop and Mr. Scott were engaged in a struggle before the
shooting started. Everything up to the point at which the video
started will most likely be the focus of the trial. As others have
pointed out, an officer can use deadly force if he feels his life or
the lives of others are at risk. I think the sticking point is that
the report quotes Mr. Slager stated, "He took my Taser". If what was
found to be moved by the officer is the taser, then planting evidence
comes in to play. On the other hand, if not, the focus will most
likely be whether the officer used correct judgment.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Look man, im tellin you from experience, pigs wont see a hard yard. Think it through.
he will be murdered in a very grusome way....after allot of ass raping...he is s pig. Even his skin color wont help him..every con will seek to kill him for creds. and for earning.for a statment...to kill a pig...is very very high if not the highest honor one csn earn. .he is a white pig, murdered a black guy...if it was just white killing of black, meh..., not to big a deal, inside. If you csn connect or earned ink.but hes pig...hes a gonner...if they put him in...and they wont to a hard yard.
He will be protected where ever and if he get time...or its a death sentence for him period.
I know what im talking about. Take it or leave it. All cool
I understand what you are talking about (protection from crazy prisoners). What I meant is that any person who goes to prison should not be treated special. Like if that pig is going to prison, I oppose a TV, newspapers, anything else that are provided to him only while he's in prison. Screw that, it means more taxes that go to special prisoners.

I understand what you are talking about (protection from crazy prisoners). What I meant is that any person who goes to prison should not be treated special. Like if that pig is going to prison, I oppose a TV, newspapers, anything else that are provided to him only while he's in prison. Screw that, it means more taxes that go to special prisoners.
Not protection against crazy prisoners...(they are on ding wing), its protection against sane rational cons, the crazies arent much dangerous...its the clear minded thinking murderer that is..
why protection is needed is sinple. Once you are in custody. The state now is responble for your safety. You still have rightd..even the worse pedo, still has rights. So, if they didnt hsve protection then life and death woukd be and very much are in the hsnds of cons inside. But the delima is the state argues it hss sole monopoly on violence and justice. So protection is for those who need it. For pedos its not s given, and often doesnt come..for s bunch of ressons.snitches are doomed..even the rumur of snitch, you will be cut...(depending how hard the yard), pigs, will always recieve protection...they dont even need to beg or ask for it...its a given...but its very rare to have pigs inside, even more rare in hard yard.
RAre
This pig, wont see one...mark my signs

Last edited:
I don't see this being an easy trial. From what I've read, the witness
said both the cop and Mr. Scott were engaged in a struggle before the
shooting started. Everything up to the point at which the video
started will most likely be the focus of the trial. As others have
pointed out, an officer can use deadly force if he feels his life or
the lives of others are at risk. I think the sticking point is that
the report quotes Mr. Slager stated, "He took my Taser". If what was
found to be moved by the officer is the taser, then planting evidence
comes in to play. On the other hand, if not, the focus will most
likely be whether the officer used correct judgment.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

The cop shot the guy as he way running away from him so I can't see were the cop life was in danger.

So far I had not seen the guy near the cop ! He seen to had run off right away so the cop is lying about his life being in danger . :mad:
The part where the two of them tussle is not on the dash cam video. It's on the very beginning of the other video taken by the witness.

I'm sorry there are no captions on this yet. I hope there will be a later version with captions.

When Slager goes up to Scott's driver-side window, he calmly asks for driver's license, insurance, and registration. He also explains that he pulled him over because the brake light was out. Scott says he doesn't have proof of insurance because he's in the process of buying the car. But he gives Slager his license. Slager goes back to his car to check the DL.

I wonder if the passenger in Scott's car witnessed the shooting? Don't know who it was, or what happened to that person after the shooting.

I noticed in the background of the video a couple of people running by, and a car driving by. I wonder if any of those people saw anything? That's a busy area, so there might be more witnesses.

The part where the two of them tussle is not on the dash cam video. It's on the very beginning of the other video taken by the witness.

I'm sorry there are no captions on this yet. I hope there will be a later version with captions.

When Slager goes up to Scott's driver-side window, he calmly asks for driver's license, insurance, and registration. He also explains that he pulled him over because the brake light was out. Scott says he doesn't have proof of insurance because he's in the process of buying the car. But he gives Slager his license. Slager goes back to his car to check the DL.

I wonder if the passenger in Scott's car witnessed the shooting? Don't know who it was, or what happened to that person after the shooting.

I noticed in the background of the video a couple of people running by, and a car driving by. I wonder if any of those people saw anything? That's a busy area, so there might be more witnesses.

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...of-walter-scott-shooting-reveal--425807939752 video # 8 show the family of victim meeting the guy that took the video with his cell phone

This was on Nightly News and has CC for what the two men said

Why flee in the first place? If the driver has no insurance... he'd most likely get a ticket and probably impound his car. Better than going to jail for fleeing a police.

I think it will stay that way as long as outside agitators don't show up and make trouble.

They may not be far behind, but kudos to the PD for handling the matter swiftly and appropriately. I'm sorry for the families who are totally innocent of this, and no doubt grief stricken. Both families have now lost loved ones....

Laura

He had a warrant for unpaid child support .And he could of feared for his life
with all the shooting that happen lately.

He had a warrant for unpaid child support .And he could of feared for his life
with all the shooting that happen lately.
He fled.due to warrent, i dunno, ive see rhe video a.dozen times...
He was running really slow for someone in fear of life, it doesnt strike me as fear, i dont think that guy saw or knew what hit.him..until hw was ventalited on the groind,.i dont think.he thoughft he was going to be gunned down in the back, he was jugging away,,he maybe thought round 2 was comming up, i dunno, but ir doesnt look like.fear one bit to me

Back