sound and fury update

netrox

Reaction score
I found out there's a six years update..

""Sound and Fury" ended with 6-year-old Heather's family deciding not to give her the cochlear implant. With the family painfully divided over this issue, Heather's parents decided to move their family to a deaf community to bring their kids up in the signing deaf world.

In this stand-alone follow up film we learn that Heather finally did get the implant at 9 years old, as did her 2 younger brothers, her mother, her deaf aunt and her 2 deaf cousins. Now 12, Heather is the only deaf child in her mainstream school. She takes classes with everyone else, plays basketball and volleyball, stays near the top of her class and is popular with her hearing peers."

Sound and Fury: 6 Years Later -- About the Film

I wonder what's going on with them NOW.. it's almost 12 years since the first movie.

Well, doesn't this kind of go back to the advantages of early language acquisition in Deaf of Deaf and the insulating factors of having close ties to a deaf community? We've known for decades they perform on equal footing with hearing peers.

It was an interesting article. She is a very high acheiver.

I was really surprised that the mother got implanted too. They were so against it in the first film. I wonder what changed her mind.

the mother was against it the first time, because she was told she herself wouldn't benefit from the CI (if I remember that right, been a while since I saw Sound & Fury). So after she was told that, then she was against CI and didn't want Heather to get it. Obviously, that changed years later (and technology improved).

Never say never, eh?

the mother was against it the first time, because she was told she herself wouldn't benefit from the CI (if I remember that right, been a while since I saw Sound & Fury). So after she was told that, then she was against CI and didn't want Heather to get it. Obviously, that changed years later (and technology improved).

Not quite, she believed she would betray her deaf identity if she implanted herself or Heather.

I'll bet it wasn't so much a new technology as the mother simply get herself better educated about the CI and how it works, what's involved,
what to expect and so on.

She also probably finally understood that getting implanted does NOT mean
cutting ties with the Deaf community.

CI is just a tool, like hearing aid, is all. just require more work using it
as oppose to HAs.

Fuzzy

Here is a more complete article, although from a few years back:

Hands & Voices :: ‘Sound and Fury' Update

Chris Artinian was the speaker this past week at the HLAA convention. His son Peter, the child who was implanted as a toddler who is now 12 or 13, was also there and said a few words at the podium about being glad to be there and happy to share his experience.

Chris is the CEO of Morton's steakhouse. He is a very down-to-earth sort of guy; he got very emotional when they showed a few minutes of the original film that showed the conflict over CIs within the family.

It's so clear that the members of this large extended family really love each other, and it was so difficult when the deaf members did not respect Chris and Mari's decision to implant their young child. But eventually the cousins saw how well it was working for Peter, and wanted to get implanted themselves. That brought their parents around to allow the surgery for the children, and for the mother to go ahead with it for herself.

It's quite a fascinating story of love, family, culture and technology, and the interplay between all those factors.

Here is a more complete article, although from a few years back:

Hands & Voices :: ‘Sound and Fury' Update

Chris Artinian was the speaker this past week at the HLAA convention. His son Peter, the child who was implanted as a toddler who is now 12 or 13, was also there and said a few words at the podium about being glad to be there and happy to share his experience.

Chris is the CEO of Morton's steakhouse. He is a very down-to-earth sort of guy; he got very emotional when they showed a few minutes of the original film that showed the conflict over CIs within the family.

It's so clear that the members of this large extended family really love each other, and it was so difficult when the deaf members did not respect Chris and Mari's decision to implant their young child. But eventually the cousins saw how well it was working for Peter, and wanted to get implanted themselves. That brought their parents around to allow the surgery for the children, and for the mother to go ahead with it for herself.

It's quite a fascinating story of love, family, culture and technology, and the interplay between all those factors.

DoubleTrouble is the mother of Peter and our member. Maybe she will notice this and come on and update you.

The mother of Peter III? i.e., Mari? How wonderful. Hope she does come on; I'd love to meet her on-line.

August 17th, 2011 by Rachel
I had the pleasure to interview Heather Artinian from an Academy Award nominated film, Sound and Fury. As many people saw in the follow up film, Sound and Fury: Six Years Later, Heather received a cochlear implant at the age of 9 years old. I imagine that many people including me are wondering where she is today as an adult, who just graduated from high school and is about to head off to college. Heather updates us on what she has accomplished so far in her life as a cochlear implant recipient and provides us some in sights on her thoughts on the film as an adult today.

Cloggy,

Thanks for the update. Used to see Heather from time to time as my younger daughter played basketball against her a few times and we live near each other. She was a good little point guard and a leader on the floor. Looks like she is taking those qualities with her to college!

Rick

Never say never, eh?

Not quite, she believed she would betray her deaf identity if she implanted herself or Heather.

I'll bet it wasn't so much a new technology as the mother simply get herself better educated about the CI and how it works, what's involved,
what to expect and so on.

She also probably finally understood that getting implanted does NOT mean
cutting ties with the Deaf community.

CI is just a tool, like hearing aid, is all. just require more work using it
as oppose to HAs.

Fuzzy

Yup.....and you know when hearing aids were first introduced a lot of Deafies were against them!!!! Heck I would bet that even 40 years ago, anti HA sentiment was prolly not too unusual. Now you never hear anti HA sentiment. And I think we have progressed SO far in acceptance of CIs in a decade.

Back