sound and fury update

I wonder if her high achievement is due to her lack of socialization.

From what I gleaned from the article, she has good friends in high school and was involved in extra curricular activities :

"I was President of DECA, a business and community service chapter. I was President of my Junior Class. I was Captain of volleyball, basketball and lacrosse."

so I would imagine she did have a social life and was happy in school.

From what I gleaned from the article, she has good friends in high school and was involved in extra curricular activities :

"I was President of DECA, a business and community service chapter. I was President of my Junior Class. I was Captain of volleyball, basketball and lacrosse."

so I would imagine she did have a social life and was happy in school.

that's just school only.

that's just school only.

True and yet on the other hand, one becomes good friends with people who were in the same extra curricular activities. For example, if you played volleyball with the same 12 girls 2 or 3 times a week, you can't help but form bonds that extend outside of just meeting for volleyball practice.

True and yet on the other hand, one becomes good friends with people who were in the same extra curricular activities. For example, if you played volleyball with the same 12 girls 2 or 3 times a week, you can't help but form bonds that extend outside of just meeting for volleyball practice.

yea but she's an overachiever. that means less social time.

Agreed. but don't know about less social time though. My best friend was an insane overachiever. She currently holds 5 university degrees. In high school, she was involved in about 4 or 5 extra curricular activities and still managed to have a very active social life.

The fact that she, Heather Artinian, was captain of three different sports team tells me she was popular and well liked. They don't appoint captains who are not good at interacting well with others or have trouble getting people to listen and pay attention and respect. Captains are responsible for ensuring the success of a group of people, that requires good social skills. Kinda hard to imagine she would socialize well and yet not have a social life.

I don't know. We're just speculating at this point for she did not describe her social life outside of school, they didn't ask her about it.

Agreed. but don't know about less social time though. My best friend was an insane overachiever. She currently holds 5 university degrees. In high school, she was involved in about 4 or 5 extra curricular activities and still managed to have a very active social life.

The fact that she, Heather Artinian, was captain of three different sports team tells me she was popular and well liked. They don't appoint captains who are not good at interacting well with others or have trouble getting people to listen and pay attention and respect. Captains are responsible for ensuring the success of a group of people, that requires good social skills. Kinda hard to imagine she would socialize well and yet not have a social life.

I don't know. We're just speculating at this point for she did not describe her social life outside of school, they didn't ask her about it.
There are tons of overachievers and very successful professionals but they lack social life NOT related to their career/school. They usually find it very awkward or wasteful.

These type of people do not usually socialize for "fun" like us regular folks.... They only socialize if it contributes to their success/networking. and they do not usually hang out with friends who don't have "resource/connection". So it's not your typical type of socialization. That's how my overachiever friends are.

I find it rather lonesome. The worst part? They're no longer your friend once you're a trouble... such as nasty legal issue.

There are tons of overachievers and very successful professionals but they lack social life NOT related to their career/school. They usually find it very awkward or wasteful.

These type of people do not usually socialize for "fun" like us regular folks.... They only socialize if it contributes to their success/networking. and they do not usually hang out with friends who don't have "resource/connection". So it's not your typical type of socialization. That's how my overachiever friends are.

I find it rather lonesome. The worst part? They're no longer your friend once you're a trouble... such as nasty legal issue.

Excepting my best friend, that's very true. Overachievers tend avoid anyone who is not of their ilk or who do not provide that step up in life.

I still think it's unfair to jump to conclusions that if one did well in school and kept busy with extra-curricular activities, that automatically means they had no social life.

Yet on the other hand, I have heard stories of CI kids who felt compelled that they had to succeed at everything to justify all the time and money their parents invested in them. That has to be difficult, especially so for Heather who was so much in the limelight due to that movie. She must have felt it necessary to prove that getting a CI was definitely worth it and yet prove to the deaf community she's still one of them. Quite a lot for a young teenager to deal with.

Heather seems pretty confident to me since she has several deaf relatives in her family where she is all set for who she is. I think it's great!

There is absolutely nothing in the article to suggest in any manner whatsoever that she has a "problem" with socialization yet you chose to make it your observation about her. I think that says a lot more about you then it does about her.

To equate success or "over achievement" with a lack of socialization skills is pure baloney! Face it, some people in life are able to combine success with popularity. This young girl has been successful so far and is going to one of the finest academic colleges in the US, there is no reason to believe her success will not continue.

To me the most telling point as to the relationships she has with her peers is the fact that even though her family chose to move to Rochester (with its large deaf population) she chose to remain with her Uncle and Aunt to finish out her high school career.

Rick

Apparently it is just after saying "I do". :naughty:

ba dum dum!

BTW the Betty mentioned in the article is the same S&L therapist my daughter had from when she first got her implant till when she stopped in high school. An amazing and gifted woman who knows how to relate to kids. Her sessions were usually a fun filled hour and in fact, my younger hearing daughter could not wait for her to come so she could take the "lesson" as well!
Rick

There is absolutely nothing in the article to suggest in any manner whatsoever that she has a "problem" with socialization yet you chose to make it your observation about her. I think that says a lot more about you then it does about her.

To equate success or "over achievement" with a lack of socialization skills is pure baloney! Face it, some people in life are able to combine success with popularity. This young girl has been successful so far and is going to one of the finest academic colleges in the US, there is no reason to believe her success will not continue.

To me the most telling point as to the relationships she has with her peers is the fact that even though her family chose to move to Rochester (with its large deaf population) she chose to remain with her Uncle and Aunt to finish out her high school career.

Rick

so do you know her personally?

and in case you're confused - I merely asked a question.... not stated a fact.

I filled my time with school activites because I had no social life. It keep me busy and out of trouble...for the most part.:giggle:

It make me feel good to read about another Deaf female who is not letting deafness stop her.

so do you know her personally?

and in case you're confused - I merely asked a question.... not stated a fact.
He does....

Used to see Heather from time to time as my younger daughter played basketball against her a few times and we live near each other. She was a good little point guard and a leader on the floor. Looks like she is taking those qualities with her to college!

Rick

He does....

that still doesn't answer my question. All I see is that she's competitive in sports.... but how about social gathering? like..... movie? girl's nite out? anything like that?

There are many successful players & celebrities who have great party time & careers but crappy social life. I mean... hello? Have you seen the news? all these celebrities?

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Be careful applying the over achiever label to women. Often, what would be considered ambition in a man gets pathologically labelled as overachievement in women (especially in medicine and law). I never hear a man called an overachiever.
If a person is happy working so much then it's not a problem. Professionals work hard. Is it possible that you have different values and goals. Neither one is "right." People are just different.
I agree that school activities and adult supervised social events keep kids out of trouble. Although peers become more important to teens, adults are still influential and important.

Slightly off-topic but in relation to the hearing world's perception of Heather Artinian's CI success - this is what they say about her;

"http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfw91b_lax-report-part-4-6-2_sport" - "New Balance LAX Report: Segment 4 - The incredible story of Glen Cove's Heather Artinian, who is a standout lacrosse player despite being deaf"

Three-Sport Star Proves Her Mettle - Glen Cove, NY Patch - "Glen Cove High's Heather Artinian overcomes hearing impairment to shine as a student-athlete."

Volleyball Star Inspires Teammates - Glen Cove, NY Patch - "Glen Cove girls volleyball captain Heather Artinian perseveres on the court despite having been born completely deaf."

One would think deaf people can't play sports judging from those news articles. This is exactly what the Deaf has a problem with - not the CIs but the myths they propagate.

Slightly off-topic but in relation to the hearing world's perception of Heather Artinian's CI success - this is what they say about her;

"http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfw91b_lax-report-part-4-6-2_sport" - "New Balance LAX Report: Segment 4 - The incredible story of Glen Cove's Heather Artinian, who is a standout lacrosse player despite being deaf"

Three-Sport Star Proves Her Mettle - Glen Cove, NY Patch - "Glen Cove High's Heather Artinian overcomes hearing impairment to shine as a student-athlete."

Volleyball Star Inspires Teammates - Glen Cove, NY Patch - "Glen Cove girls volleyball captain Heather Artinian perseveres on the court despite having been born completely deaf."

One would think deaf people can't play sports judging from those news articles. This is exactly what the Deaf has a problem with - not the CIs but the myths they propagate.

I don't think CIs have the ability to propagate myths, that would be some kind of super-technology. :laugh2: j/k

But ... if you are saying that CIs are the cause of people thinking that deaf people can't participate in sports with hearing people, I think you'd be off the mark. Those misperceptions have been around long before CIs. I think this is a wonderful story, but it makes me very sad that it's newsworthy when a deaf girl succeeds at a sport, I want to know why there aren't many more deaf athletes who've done exactly what Heather has done. Have they not been given the chance? Have they not been able to get the accommodations needed?

Even on this forum, where you'd think there'd be far more familiarity with CIs, I've seen some ignorant people insist that deaf people can't or shouldn't play any sports with either hearing or deaf teammates -- if they have a CI. I've even had to override policies at my own child's school that would have by default limited her participation in athletic activities simply because she has a CI.

Back