Sorenson router; how many computers can hook up

SMH

You can't use both Ethernet and USB on modem, and guess what? USB will win and that Ethernet will be disabled and you won't be able to use any VP, PC, etc though router.
I was afraid of that. :(

Comcast installed the USB, against recommendation of Sorenson tech.

Consumer is stuck between Comcast tech vs. Sorenson tech.

What do you suggest for a solution?

My hunch was to save $ on bandwidth. Stick to router. And this sounds close to discrimination, barring deaf people from equivalent means of communications.

Comcast installed the USB, against recommendation of Sorenson tech.

Consumer is stuck between Comcast tech vs. Sorenson tech.

What do you suggest for a solution?

My hunch was to save $ on bandwidth. Stick to router. And this sounds close to discrimination, barring deaf people from equivalent means of communications.
I'm not quite clear about your reply.

1. Does that mean she can't add another computer to the Sorenson router? Is there any work around?

2. Is there any way she can maintain her VP name/number list without unplugging and plugging in every time?

When you connect your modem to computer using USB cable, the IP address already used up and assigned to your computer! So how can you get another IP address? Calling them and pay more for 2nd IP address?

You have two choices and can NOT have both, either using USB or Ethernet. What the cable guy said is hogwash!

I'm not quite clear about your reply.

1. Does that mean she can't add another computer to the Sorenson router? Is there any work around?

2. Is there any way she can maintain her VP name/number list without unplugging and plugging in every time?

When you connect your modem to computer using USB cable, the IP address already used up and assigned to your computer! So how can you get another IP address? Calling them and pay more for 2nd IP address?

You have two choices and can NOT have both, either using USB or Ethernet. What the cable guy said is hogwash!
So my friend is up the Comcast creek with the status quo?

I really don't know what they are up to however I don't like the their idea of not using router to enable VP!

It is like telling deaf people they are not recommend using the effective and equivalent method of communication though telephone. That is something I resent!

So my friend is up the Comcast creek with the status quo?

Here's the situation:

Comcast modem.

Sorenson router connected to modem.

From router:

1. cable to PC CPU, via USB cable connecter

2. cable to VP-100

3. two ports empty

Questions:

1. Can the two empty ports be used to cable connect other computers?

2. What causes this: every time the Deaf consumer opens up the VP menu for name/number list, it's gone, and must unplug, replug all VP connections to retrieve names and numbers. (My friend said all her Deaf friends have the same problem; is this normal?)

3. Is the USB router-to-PC cable connection an adequate substitute?

Please be patient with my non-computer-expert questions. :)

From the Cable Modem to SR-200's WAN port, connect both with a Ethernet cable.

SR-200 Router only have ethernet port and it has no USB port.

You can't have both ethernet cable and USB cable connected to the cable modem at the same time. If you are to use the SR-200 then remove the USB Cable.

So

From SR-200

Port 1 connect ethernet cable to CPU

Port 2 connect ethernet cable to VP-100/200

Port 3 - empty can be used to connect to other CPU (ethernet)

Port 4 - empty can be used to connect to other CPU (ethernet)

If you are to use USB cable then you can't use SR-200 so that means you connect USB cable from Cable Modem to CPU.

VP-100/200 must be set to the DMZ address (192 . 168 . 0 . 125) while other CPU are set to DHCP

Is it applies to cable modem or dsl modem?

SMH

You can't use both Ethernet and USB on modem, and guess what? USB will win and that Ethernet will be disabled and you won't be able to use any VP, PC, etc though router.

Please address your post to someone!?

I'm directly to diehardbikers, after you and other members are discussed about can't use USB and ethernet at same time.

Other question, Have you notice about ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)?

This is mistake to think this way!

240 volts with 50 watts light cost the same as 120 volts 50 watts cost the same as IF 12 volts with 50 watts!

Your electric meter measures how many watts you use REGARDLESS how many volts are used!

In other word, if you reduce watts you will reduce the cost of electricity.

As in OHM law, if you had 240 volts with 50 watts of power, and you reduce to 120 volts with same wattage, you'd increase the current twice, and if you reduce to 12 volts with same watts, you'd increase 20 times more curent than 240 volts, meaning you'd need thicker wire to handle the higher current. but the cost of using it is the same!

Yup It's true if using Halogen bulb regardless voltage. I've tried 12v 150watt Projection Halogen bulb (one w/ glass reflector) that friend gave it to me. Using 12v automotive battery, It won't even shine bright like It does on 120v projector (w/ stepdown transformer). I figured it would works better with 12v AC not DC. I hooked thick wire from bulb terminal to battery directly w/ Alternator running LOL.. I was young back then.. Automotive Backup 12v Indescandent bulb is bright and it's about 50 watt. I used to have 70's telescopic desklamp that use stepdown transformer tightly built inside 3" x 3" x 3" cube shaped metal base w/ telescopic pole and a black "Tennis ball" sized bulb reflector using 12v automotive backup lamp. It is bright enuf for reading or do minature project.

I agree w/ Ohm's law. Newer lamp that use Luxeon LED would use far less voltage (they're between 1 to 5 watt average) but yet bright enuf to shine the room with proper lens. They're still under development tho.. Problem is that it have blueish to purpleish hue which are common problem with White LEDs. Nicha LED is the only high quality LED that shine white with no hue and are a little pricey..

So, bottom line--what should my friend do about her Comcast/VRS problem? Please give me some 1, 2, 3 steps to follow. She really depends on her VRS, and is getting very frustrated and upset about the situation.

Since my previous post, I re-read your post for better understanding. I think I get it but let me make sure.

From the Cable Modem to SR-200's WAN port, connect both with a Ethernet cable.
OK, I think she has those connected that way. (I'm not at her house, so I can't see it right now; I'm trying to do this by memory.)

SR-200 Router only have ethernet port and it has no USB port.
Correct.

You can't have both ethernet cable and USB cable connected to the cable modem at the same time. If you are to use the SR-200 then remove the USB Cable.
So that means disconnecting the PC CPU from the SR-200, correct?

From SR-200

Port 1 connect ethernet cable to CPU
Ah, here's the problem. Comcast told Deaf client that USB was the only way she could connect unless she bought a new computer; USB was the "affordable" option.

Let me back up. All these changes happened after lightning hit her apt. Comcast replaced her modem but told her she had to either replace her CPU or use the USB.

A similar thing happened to me a couple years ago. Lighting hit my house and knocked out the internet. However, I have RoadRunner cable service, and they handled the situation differently. They replaced (for free) my modem AND the Ethernet inside my CPU.

Port 2 connect ethernet cable to VP-100/200
The Sorenson tech connected her VP-100 to Port 4. Light #4 on her SR-200 lights up when the VP is on.

Port 3 - empty can be used to connect to other CPU (ethernet)
Port 3 currently has the USB cable to the CPU. The #3 light comes on when she uses the internet on that PC.

Port 4 - empty can be used to connect to other CPU (ethernet)
Ports 1 and 2 are empty on her SR-200. When I was at her house, I tried to connect my laptop thru her empty ports. When I plugged in, she lost all internet connections. I disconnected my laptop, then we had to unplug, and then plug in again, all connections to get the internet back.

If you are to use USB cable then you can't use SR-200 so that means you connect USB cable from Cable Modem to CPU.
But is there only one connection from the Comcast Modem? If there is only one, then she has to choose either using it for PC's USB cable or SR-200, right? If that's true, then how does the SR-200 work?

VP-100/200 must be set to the DMZ address (192 . 168 . 0 . 125) while other CPU are set to DHCP
Are those settings for use if connected thru the SR-200, or for direct modem connections?

After reading this post, the problem is USB is blocking VP! No question about it.

What cable guy said is a MAJOR LIE!

USB is cheaper than Ethernet? Where the heck did he get this ridiculously idea?

I can bet you, if you remove USB, then connect using Ethernet cable from modem to router, and connect Ethernet cable from router to computer and 3rd Ethernet cable from Router to VP,

Hey PACMAN, I know what you are talking about, ICMA this will not work with VP. No question, reason? connect PC between VP and modem will increase latency rate severely and will compromise video quality, and will occassionally cause black screen and failure to recieve incoming calls. Whats more, if you can disable the firewall to solve the incoming calls and black screen your computer will expose to hackers. That is why USB is highly not recommended.

Trust me, this WILL worK
Since my previous post, I re-read your post for better understanding. I think I get it but let me make sure.

OK, I think she has those connected that way. (I'm not at her house, so I can't see it right now; I'm trying to do this by memory.)

Correct.

So that means disconnecting the PC CPU from the SR-200, correct?

Ah, here's the problem. Comcast told Deaf client that USB was the only way she could connect unless she bought a new computer; USB was the "affordable" option.

Let me back up. All these changes happened after lightning hit her apt. Comcast replaced her modem but told her she had to either replace her CPU or use the USB.

A similar thing happened to me a couple years ago. Lighting hit my house and knocked out the internet. However, I have RoadRunner cable service, and they handled the situation differently. They replaced (for free) my modem AND the Ethernet inside my CPU.

The Sorenson tech connected her VP-100 to Port 4. Light #4 on her SR-200 lights up when the VP is on.

Port 3 currently has the USB cable to the CPU. The #3 light comes on when she uses the internet on that PC.

Ports 1 and 2 are empty on her SR-200. When I was at her house, I tried to connect my laptop thru her empty ports. When I plugged in, she lost all internet connections. I disconnected my laptop, then we had to unplug, and then plug in again, all connections to get the internet back.

But is there only one connection from the Comcast Modem? If there is only one, then she has to choose either using it for PC's USB cable or SR-200, right? If that's true, then how does the SR-200 work?

Are those settings for use if connected thru the SR-200, or for direct modem connections?

After reading this post, the problem is USB is blocking VP! No question about it.

What cable guy said is a MAJOR LIE!
My friend wants to know if she should complain to the cable supervisor. Do you think that will work?

USB is cheaper than Ethernet? Where the heck did he get this ridiculously idea?
From my description of her computer's lightning damage, do you think she could replace her internal Ethernet with a part from Newegg?

I can bet you, if you remove USB, then connect using Ethernet cable from modem to router, and connect Ethernet cable from router to computer and 3rd Ethernet cable from Router to VP,
What's the rest of the sentence???

I am not sure how to say about reporting to cable supervisor. Why? They have no idea what Videophone is! This is not common for them, that is why they are undereducated. I do not believe this is isolated case. More and more which I heard from cable and DSL employees is making up lies because they have no idea how to solve the problem, and accusing VP as problem causing.

My thinking was file complaint to FCC, and I think this is best route to start with. Why FCC? Simply put, this is about equilvent of telephone communication among Deaf and hearing people. Putting barrier against Deaf is not acceptable practice and this has to be stopped somehow.

What you mean by Internal Ethernet? This is just a type of cable which you normally see as thick blue cord, and they do come in variety of colors.
Lightning might cause some damage to electronic devices.

What is the rest of the sentence, this sentence is like connecting the dots But connecting the Ethernet cable, starting Modem to "WAN" port in back of the router, and you can use any port from 1 to 4 connecting to PC, then another cable to any port 1 to 4 conneting to VP. That is the basic cable set up.

My friend wants to know if she should complain to the cable supervisor. Do you think that will work?

From my description of her computer's lightning damage, do you think she could replace her internal Ethernet with a part from Newegg?

What's the rest of the sentence???

Often people would say, I have no problem with PC but the VP seems to freeze alot.

To better understand why VP tend to be more noticeable than PC.

Just image this, the internet connection would be like a huge water pipe

The amount of the information send and receive though computer is just like a cup of water in 5 minutes period So, even with valve being 3/4 off still enough water went though

on contrast with Videophone, the Videophone requires 1,000 gallons of water going though the pipe and when the valve is fully opens the water flows just fine, but when the valve is 3/4 close, wow less water flowing out, noticeable so end up not able to get 1,000 gallons of water within 5 minutes, hey there is problem.

That is why Video is so sensitive with speed than PC does.

Back