Sorenson router; how many computers can hook up

Sure! I know about this, but my point majority of people do not even know about it! Or had no idea that their security setting has been set back to open broadcast itself. You can't see it happen! With wires you can easily noticed if somebody messed up with your cables.
And finally these WPA2 STILL not 100% secured anyway! I have one of my friend who knows how, and he laughed when one thinks it is fool-proof.
One night Hubby and I were driving around our neighborhood. I had my laptop with me because I was bringing it back from a trip. Just for fun, I turned it on while we drove, and saw how many unsecured wireless networks were available. About every three houses had a wireless signal that I could access for internet (and I'm in no way a hacker). Can you imagine how much access someone who really tried could get?

One more caveat (which you probably already know). If you unplug your router from your modem and computer for whatever reason (moving the computer, cleaning under the desk, hooking up new equipment, etc.), all your router settings default to the manufacturer's unsecured settings.

See my point, it is pointless to try to find out the limitation on routers.

Right now I got 22 ports in my house, and I can move my VP, computer anywhere around my house and still use up to only 10 ft Ethernet cable! My house is already wired. :-D
I understand. I just wanted to know if one more computer could be hooked up without buying additional equipment for my friend. :P Believe it or not, I have some friends who know even less about computers than I do, ha, ha. And they are all younger than me!

Yup, More pc's online, slower network it gets. OR unless if 3 PC downloading BIG files, Nework would slow down to crawl (done that before using 2 PC downloading P2P filesharing same time and my wife tried to log in Email on 3rd PC, she complained it's taking forever to get in! OOpsie!! I had to suspend two P2P download till she's finish w/ email.. Hee Hee)
Same thing happens with the internet providers.

Our area is being developed like crazy. More house and apartments built and occupied every week. All the new residents want cable internet. The more new hook ups, the more "diluted" the signal. Our RR begins to slow down. I know it's not my computer because it happens to both my computers at my house, and the computer at my daughter's house, a few miles away, and other neighbors. It gets slower, and slower. We see several Time Warner RR trucks around town, very busy, new cable being laid. Then, all of a sudden, everyone's computer is running fast again. Then more construction, slower internet, etc. The cycle begins again.

Same thing happens with the internet providers.

Our area is being developed like crazy. More house and apartments built and occupied every week. All the new residents want cable internet. The more new hook ups, the more "diluted" the signal. Our RR begins to slow down. I know it's not my computer because it happens to both my computers at my house, and the computer at my daughter's house, a few miles away, and other neighbors. It gets slower, and slower. We see several Time Warner RR trucks around town, very busy, new cable being laid. Then, all of a sudden, everyone's computer is running fast again. Then more construction, slower internet, etc. The cycle begins again.

then you can optional to get DSL and no more hassle to use shared conection like cable companies.

I had same problem as your does when I used on RR in LA.

then you can optional to get DSL and no more hassle to use shared conection like cable companies.

I agreed with Pacman. I had a DSL. I moved here, and my area does not provide a DSL service. I feel safe for me to use the DSL. Now, I use the internet cable, and it's ok.

Yes, that is what I mean around 70% or 80%, not sure the percentage of wireless network at homes across USA is unsecured!

No, that is not true, the only time that is true is if yo do hard reset on your router, this would reset to default settings.

One night Hubby and I were driving around our neighborhood. I had my laptop with me because I was bringing it back from a trip. Just for fun, I turned it on while we drove, and saw how many unsecured wireless networks were available. About every three houses had a wireless signal that I could access for internet (and I'm in no way a hacker). Can you imagine how much access someone who really tried could get?

One more caveat (which you probably already know). If you unplug your router from your modem and computer for whatever reason (moving the computer, cleaning under the desk, hooking up new equipment, etc.), all your router settings default to the manufacturer's unsecured settings.

I had same problem as your does when I used on RR in LA.
It depends on what's available in a person's area.

Yes, that is what I mean around 70% or 80%, not sure the percentage of wireless network at homes across USA is unsecured!

No, that is not true, the only time that is true is if yo do hard reset on your router, this would reset to default settings.
Yes, it does happen. I did it myself, more than once. You can do it both ways.

No, it doesn't unless you reset it manually. I have unplugged router power, or disconnect the router from the cable modem, it still retain the settings. This experience is based on SR-200 Router.

If this question has been asked before, I apologize for repeating it. Please direct me to the appropriate thread.

Here's my question:

Suppose someone as a Comcast modem, a Sorenson router, and one PC, connected together. Does the Sorenson router act like a regular router, too? That is, can additional computers be connected to the internet thru the Sorenson router? Or is it necessary to also connect a regular router to the modem?

I'm asking this for a friend, so I'm trying to do this without actually seeing my friend's set up. Also, I have Roadrunner, so I'm not familiar with Comcast's way.

Sorenson Router (SR-200) is Sorenson Branded router and is based on DI-604 Router's hardware design. But the software is sorenson's It is a 10/100 Fast Ethernet. It is 4 Ports meaning 4 computers or devices can be connected to SR-200 and is capable of becoming a dhcp server to 252 devices.

So one can add other computer to it. SR-200 is set up already and VP-200 has to be set to .125 DMZ and all other computer/devices need to be set to dhcp to receive dynamic ip addresses.

SR-200 would function better if the firmware is updated to 1.1. It can be done within admin control page.

Any further porting needs can consult this website;
http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-products-technologies/42867-port-forwarding-guide-routers.html

No, it's not true, unless you do hard reset on back of router.

Diehardbikers and Boult are right about it, I had done and still same setting on mine.

Yes, however there are cases where there is electricial spikes like thunderstorm, or stupid drunk driver hit telephone pole with transformer on it can cause the Router to reset itself to default manufacture setting, thus without knowledge of owner wireless routers, they exposed to risk.. That is why I never like the wireless.

Diehardbikers and Boult are right about it, I had done and still same setting on mine.

When I had my laptop, I had the router set to match the MAC address of my laptop and desktop. Unless someone knows what the mac address is and can clone it, it wont let any computer connect rather if it is wired or wireless. Therefore I left it open with no security on it, i kept an eye on how many computer connects to router and was happy to see that nobody got on but me. I feel that would be most secure way to go.

Good luck
When I had my laptop, I had the router set to match the MAC address of my laptop and desktop. Unless someone knows what the mac address is and can clone it, it wont let any computer connect rather if it is wired or wireless. Therefore I left it open with no security on it, i kept an eye on how many computer connects to router and was happy to see that nobody got on but me. I feel that would be most secure way to go.

Yes, however there are cases where there is electricial spikes like thunderstorm, or stupid drunk driver hit telephone pole with transformer on it can cause the Router to reset itself to default manufacture setting, thus without knowledge of owner wireless routers, they exposed to risk.. That is why I never like the wireless.

Wired is affected too because you will lose all info on port forwarding, DMZ or customized setting.

Yes, this is very true, but BIG but still no one will be able to break in your network afterwards just like wireless do.

Wired is affected too because you will lose all info on port forwarding, DMZ or customized setting.

You guys are right (of course). :P I forgot that I had pressed the reset button AND had it unplugged. It's the reset button that defaulted the settings, not the unplugging action. It's been a while since I did that, and I got my sequence mixed up. Sorry about that.

When it comes to computers, I always :bowdown: to you guys.

You guys are right (of course). :P I forgot that I had pressed the reset button AND had it unplugged. It's the reset button that defaulted the settings, not the unplugging action. It's been a while since I did that, and I got my sequence mixed up. Sorry about that.

When it comes to computers, I always :bowdown: to you guys.

lol, it does happen to me, I was hit hard reset button when power cycle then it was accidently to removed all of my info then I found it and never do again.

It was happened in last year.

Back