Sorenson router; how many computers can hook up

If your smart like me, save the routers settings in your USB memory sticks, you can always upload back in after reset. It does not take much to do that, and much easier that way.

Yes, however there are cases where there is electricial spikes like thunderstorm....
Oh yeah, love those storms!

A few years ago, lightning hit our house and destroyed the built-in Ethernet of my iMac, the RR modem and Ethernet of PC, the router, garage door opener, phone answering machine, and one TV. (Two phones, fax machine, and two other TVs were OK.) Ethernet on iMac could not be repaired or replaced. Had to buy a new answering machine, router, and garage door opener. Had to get TV repaired. Roadrunner replaced the modem and PC Ethernet, no charge. I replaced all the surge protectors (the old ones took the lightning hit, so I thought they should be replaced).

A Deaf friend of mine recently had lighting hit, and it destroyed the water heater, the door bell and flashing light, hair flat iron, the cable TV and PC connections, and VP router.

A few weeks ago, lightning hit the new house behind my daughter's, and caught fire. The house was only a few months old, and now they have to start over again.

Yeah, lightning is no fun!

Sorry for a little :topic: chat.

Same thing happens with the internet providers.

Our area is being developed like crazy. More house and apartments built and occupied every week. All the new residents want cable internet. The more new hook ups, the more "diluted" the signal. Our RR begins to slow down. I know it's not my computer because it happens to both my computers at my house, and the computer at my daughter's house, a few miles away, and other neighbors. It gets slower, and slower. We see several Time Warner RR trucks around town, very busy, new cable being laid. Then, all of a sudden, everyone's computer is running fast again. Then more construction, slower internet, etc. The cycle begins again.

Yup. I use RR too. Subdivision south of my home are growing. Yike. But I SURE hope new homeowner choose EVEREST or DSL so that we won't worry RR being bogged down. I used to have Everest network which is similiar package to RR but it's slower and download is HORRID!!! Had it for 3 years.. Finally switched back to RR and now I'm feeling LOT better. Faster than before.

But Cable co will add another trunk line seperate from exiting trunk line in order to keep network fast. So they want to keep customers happy.

Catty

Yup. I use RR too. Subdivision south of my home are growing. Yike. But I SURE hope new homeowner choose EVEREST or DSL so that we won't worry RR being bogged down. I used to have Everest network which is similiar package to RR but it's slower and download is HORRID!!! Had it for 3 years.. Finally switched back to RR and now I'm feeling LOT better. Faster than before.
In our area, each town has an exclusive franchise, so people don't get a choice. :(

Overall, I'm satisfied with RR. It's my friends with Comcast who complain, and they don't have any choice unless they move to a different town.

But Cable co will add another trunk line seperate from exiting trunk line in order to keep network fast. So they want to keep customers happy.
I suspect that's what they're doing here. They're just having a hard time keeping up.

In our area, each town has an exclusive franchise, so people don't get a choice. :(

Overall, I'm satisfied with RR. It's my friends with Comcast who complain, and they don't have any choice unless they move to a different town.

I suspect that's what they're doing here. They're just having a hard time keeping up.

You aren't alone, same as RHR's area that don't offers DSL, either.

Charter Cable is one of worst and most expensive cable providers I have ever had. We are working on getting the city and county convinced to choose another cable provider when Charter's contract runs up in Janaury next year.

Anyway, back to topic. Is it possible to switch Sorenson Videophone to different TV in another room?

Most home router 4 port type can only be stacked and linked up to 8 routers and together 1 ports from each router stack is taken for linking so total of 24 avaiable ports.
If you try to add more or go over 8 routers stacked then the signal may degrade.

Charter Cable is one of worst and most expensive cable providers I have ever had. We are working on getting the city and county convinced to choose another cable provider when Charter's contract runs up in Janaury next year.

Anyway, back to topic. Is it possible to switch Sorenson Videophone to different TV in another room?

I think that Comcast is #1 in Atlanta metro.

Yeah, you got that right. I wouldn't mind if Charter ever went out of business or moved away. This is only a wishful dream of mine. :lol:

Yup, nearly rest of Chicago metro are using Comcast too.

I wish that there is an advanced antenna for our TV as a crystal screen for free as many channels we want. Maybe, Comcast or other cable companies do not want us to know that there is another around it without their service. Don't you think so?

I wish that there is an advanced antenna for our TV as a crystal screen for free as many channels we want. Maybe, Comcast or other cable companies do not want us to know that there is another around it without their service. Don't you think so?

That's doubtful due limited bandwidth.

All Cable and Satellite Coverters have Smart Card. That is a key of having preminuim channel for free if you have cracked copies.

That only IF you had a friend who works for Cable co and snuck you a Smart card to allow full packaged channels. One of my co worker told me that Cable guy who installed cable converter and he was trying to persuade him to accept his "under the table" offer to have preminuim channel for life for free... He had a copies of Smart card.

What they did are to buy a Smart card reader/writer. They made a copies of it and distribute it. IF you have Satellite converter. You probably seen Smart card plugged into left side of converter shell.

It's Illegal tho. They'll put Cable guy in jail for 10 to 15 years.

Catty

I like my Sorenson VP200. I think that the SnapVRS looks nice and good size. The SnapVRS's contract agreement is quite not too good. I have to read it again before I get one.

I have a D-Link 604 router that has 4 ports for my devices. I realized that I need more ports (wired router). Surprisingly, the D-Link company used to have many ports, and now things are changed.

Off topic: I have a Sorenson VP200, a router, a cable modem, and an incandescent light lamp that has a small transformer at the bottom of pole. These stuff are not energy saver. (I heard that Canada officially will ban all standard bulbs, and require people to purchase incandescent light bulbs starting in Jan. 2008. I think that U.S. will be next soon.)

Off topic: I have a Sorenson VP200, a router, a cable modem, and an incandescent light lamp that has a small transformer at the bottom of pole. These stuff are not energy saver. (I heard that Canada officially will ban all standard bulbs, and require people to purchase incandescent light bulbs starting in Jan. 2008. I think that U.S. will be next soon.)

:topic::topic:

Lamp w/ Pole that have transfomer at bottom of pole powers the Inscandescent bulb are more likely a low voltage type which doesn't take much electricity. Eg.. 12 Volt incandescent bulb don't use much electricity than 120v 60 watt bulb. Transformer job is to reduce it from 120 v to 12v or whatever compatible voltage to light up the bulb bright enuf for reading ect. So I believe it's not include the ban that Canada planned. It's just the regular 120 or 220 v Inscandescent bulb that use up lot of power to light the room.

Let you know in next 3 to 5 years from now. I'm sure that newer bulb will come out that will use tiny bit of electricity than Flourescent bulbs use. It's a Light Emitting Diode bulb. Two kinds, one is regular clear len LED commonly seen for VP200 as a ringer (the ring around the camera), or many application. Another kind of LED light is Luxeon which is the most powerful LED light. They're expensive but powerful enuf to shine over the desk. They are still experimenting one that can light up the room. Common plm is the Luxeon requires len to dissapate lights.

So be expect to see it coming soon. LED light last 10 or more years and can be flasher or any applications that Flourescent bulbs cannot do. Be expect 5 cents a month electric bills (kidding).

Catty

Lamp w/ Pole that have transfomer at bottom of pole powers the Inscandescent bulb are more likely a low voltage type which doesn't take much electricity. Eg.. 12 Volt incandescent bulb don't use much electricity than 120v 60 watt bulb. Transformer job is to reduce it from 120 v to 12v or whatever compatible voltage to light up the bulb bright enuf for reading ect. So I believe it's not include the ban that Canada planned. It's just the regular 120 or 220 v Inscandescent bulb that use up lot of power to light the room.

Let you know in next 3 to 5 years from now. I'm sure that newer bulb will come out that will use tiny bit of electricity than Flourescent bulbs use. It's a Light Emitting Diode bulb. Two kinds, one is regular clear len LED commonly seen for VP200 as a ringer (the ring around the camera), or many application. Another kind of LED light is Luxeon which is the most powerful LED light. They're expensive but powerful enuf to shine over the desk. They are still experimenting one that can light up the room. Common plm is the Luxeon requires len to dissapate lights.

So be expect to see it coming soon. LED light last 10 or more years and can be flasher or any applications that Flourescent bulbs cannot do. Be expect 5 cents a month electric bills (kidding).

Catty

Oh I see. I was thinking of the transformer with a small amount of electricity is still running when the light is off. Isn't that right? i.e. A standard lamp with no transformer is completely off.

I understand that it is not big deal. I have five inscandescent lamps with the transformers in my house that wasted some of the electricity. Refrigerator that we know that it is the worst one, and we cannot shut it off if we are away for a week.

I wish that my bill would state that it is 5 cent per month.

This is mistake to think this way!

240 volts with 50 watts light cost the same as 120 volts 50 watts cost the same as IF 12 volts with 50 watts!

Your electric meter measures how many watts you use REGARDLESS how many volts are used!

In other word, if you reduce watts you will reduce the cost of electricity.

As in OHM law, if you had 240 volts with 50 watts of power, and you reduce to 120 volts with same wattage, you'd increase the current twice, and if you reduce to 12 volts with same watts, you'd increase 20 times more curent than 240 volts, meaning you'd need thicker wire to handle the higher current. but the cost of using it is the same!

Catty

Here's the situation:

Comcast modem.

Sorenson router connected to modem.

From router:

1. cable to PC CPU, via USB cable connecter

2. cable to VP-100

3. two ports empty

Questions:

1. Can the two empty ports be used to cable connect other computers?

2. What causes this: every time the Deaf consumer opens up the VP menu for name/number list, it's gone, and must unplug, replug all VP connections to retrieve names and numbers. (My friend said all her Deaf friends have the same problem; is this normal?)

3. Is the USB router-to-PC cable connection an adequate substitute?

Please be patient with my non-computer-expert questions. :)

SMH

You can't use both Ethernet and USB on modem, and guess what? USB will win and that Ethernet will be disabled and you won't be able to use any VP, PC, etc though router.

Here's the situation:

Comcast modem.

Sorenson router connected to modem.

From router:

1. cable to PC CPU, via USB cable connecter

2. cable to VP-100

3. two ports empty

Questions:

1. Can the two empty ports be used to cable connect other computers?

2. What causes this: every time the Deaf consumer opens up the VP menu for name/number list, it's gone, and must unplug, replug all VP connections to retrieve names and numbers. (My friend said all her Deaf friends have the same problem; is this normal?)

3. Is the USB router-to-PC cable connection an adequate substitute?

Please be patient with my non-computer-expert questions. :)

Back