Sorenson 911

One other thing you may be overlooking, is that the Sorenson Interpreter can also work for you while emergency staff is onsite. Can interpret for emergency crew and yourself...

Would it be better if they hired a direct VRS 911 dispatcher in each major city in the US? IT would be LOT faster than a relay operator. That's my point, there. The same way they have direct 911 calls that goes to the TTYs.

911 VRS would never be 100% successfully.

My high speed Internet cable account was down last Friday night to Sunday early morning.

I had to use my TDD for contacting Internet/television cable company to find out and the tech support stated that the blackout is in Northern Virgina and Southern Virginia. I wonder lots of Deafie/HH/Borgs had no patience without their beloved VPs....

Always keep your TDDs in your home in case.....

handyrandyrc said:
One other thing you may be overlooking, is that the Sorenson Interpreter can also work for you while emergency staff is onsite. Can interpret for emergency crew and yourself...

No, they can't. How can they hear what's being said to you? They'd have to be in front of the TV instead of dealing with the problem. No, the interpreter cannot be part of the equation at that point because there's no ability to interpret at that point. Even on top of that, VRS interpreting in person is not allowed, even in emergencies.

Ahem, nope... It is POSSIBLE! Most of emergency staff got cell phone, eh? All you have to ask is their cell phone number and call VP to call that cell phone number. Viola! You got virtual terp!
I did that few times with some hearies who comes over to do work around house. Had trouble communicate with them, so I asked them if they got cell phone. They said sure! I said ok, gimme that number and I actually called VRS to have them call this guys... Worked awesome! Of course hearies dropped their jaw to see the quality of videophone. They said, they never saw like this before. :-D

Dennis said:
No, they can't. How can they hear what's being said to you? They'd have to be in front of the TV instead of dealing with the problem. No, the interpreter cannot be part of the equation at that point because there's no ability to interpret at that point. Even on top of that, VRS interpreting in person is not allowed, even in emergencies.

terp will terminate the call if its not use as VRS. you re using VRI video remote interpretering which is against FCC regulation be careful on how you use vp with hearies beside you

diehardbiker65 said:
Ahem, nope... It is POSSIBLE! Most of emergency staff got cell phone, eh? All you have to ask is their cell phone number and call VP to call that cell phone number. Viola! You got virtual terp!
I did that few times with some hearies who comes over to do work around house. Had trouble communicate with them, so I asked them if they got cell phone. They said sure! I said ok, gimme that number and I actually called VRS to have them call this guys... Worked awesome! Of course hearies dropped their jaw to see the quality of videophone. They said, they never saw like this before. :-D

qwerty123 said:
terp will terminate the call if its not use as VRS. you re using VRI video remote interpretering which is against FCC regulation be careful on how you use vp with hearies beside you

Not really, I can chat my co-worker next the cubical... :whistle:

diehardbiker65 said:
Right, how do the VRS operator know? Im sure this had happened sometimes already. :)

Yes, it has happened, and yes, the FCC thinks it's a major problem. In fact, it is a major problem because now employers are telling their deaf employees that they will not hire interpreters because of cost and tell them if they want to have a meeting you have to call me instead of setting up an interpreter. So, now, the deaf person is forced to use VRS when every other employee gets face to face time with the boss. Is that accessible?

VRS is not your free in-person interpreting service. The minute you try to abuse it is the minute the FCC will say, "no, we just won't pay for it anymore" and now everyone is back to paying for interpreters again. Would you like to subscribe to pay for interpreters at $50 an hour just to make a phone call?

Well, IMHO I think FCC should forget this stupid regulation. *IF* FCC allows this, this would make alot easier for deafies on everyday basis, and solve their communication problems. We all faced communication issues, and majority of hearies do NOT want deal with this (Paying for services). Plus, if had terp stayed in office, this would save alot of money on gas, and travel expenses, plus better for environment too.

There is no such thing as abuse-free system! No matter how hard government trying to control, somebody bound to find way around!

Dennis said:
Yes, it has happened, and yes, the FCC thinks it's a major problem. In fact, it is a major problem because now employers are telling their deaf employees that they will not hire interpreters because of cost and tell them if they want to have a meeting you have to call me instead of setting up an interpreter. So, now, the deaf person is forced to use VRS when every other employee gets face to face time with the boss. Is that accessible?

VRS is not your free in-person interpreting service. The minute you try to abuse it is the minute the FCC will say, "no, we just won't pay for it anymore" and now everyone is back to paying for interpreters again. Would you like to subscribe to pay for interpreters at $50 an hour just to make a phone call?

only stupid people will say "oh i see you here" thus hinting the terp to think that both persons are in the same room terp will terminate the call that why me said be careful

even call to next cubicle or room is fine

here we go debating over dead horse fcc regulation say relay call cost is payable not remote interpreting relay call is over the telephone not in social meeting

dhb it happen all time after learning the fcc regulation just like the ip relay scam with nigeria persons me do the same with hearies with cell phone for work around house just like you

diehardbiker65 said:
Well, IMHO I think FCC should forget this stupid regulation. *IF* FCC allows this, this would make alot easier for deafies on everyday basis, and solve their communication problems. We all faced communication issues, and majority of hearies do NOT want deal with this (Paying for services). Plus, if had terp stayed in office, this would save alot of money on gas, and travel expenses, plus better for environment too.

There is no such thing as abuse-free system! No matter how hard government trying to control, somebody bound to find way around!

Sorenson 9-1-1

As a rule of thumb, always have a local emergency police phone numbers available for quicker response for help.

The way 9-1-1 works over IP, they would need your landline home phone number that is already in the data bank of a local phone company and/or your name, home address, city, state and zip code then VRS will tell 9-1-1 provider. The 9-1-1 provider will check atheir data bank that closely matched your infomation you provided. Once the proper local 9-1-1 started to communicate with VRS and you, it is all set. That's take a good while to do it. It better to give VRS your emergency local police phone numbers for faster response time.

FCC is slow getting things moving because of politicals and money for supports. The technology is there and ready to be use, it just waiting for the green light to blink.

'

Dennis,

I REALLY wish you would stop speaking as if you know the answer to everything. Sorenson interpreters WILL interpret for you to speak to emergency personnel AFTER a 911 call is placed. The cop/EMT or whomever needs to have a phone (could be your regular phone or his/her cell phone) because interpreter's VP can't transmit sound.

Sorenson interpreters will NOT interpret for you to talk to the cable guy or your buddies if they are in the same room with you. If they start the conversation and realize you're in the same place they will disconnect from you.

'

Dennis,

I REALLY wish you would stop speaking as if you know the answer to everything. Sorenson interpreters WILL interpret for you to speak to emergency personnel AFTER a 911 call is placed. The cop/EMT or whomever needs to have a phone (could be your regular phone or his/her cell phone) because interpreter's VP can't transmit sound.

Sorenson interpreters will NOT interpret for you to talk to the cable guy or your buddies if they are in the same room with you. If they start the conversation and realize you're in the same place they will disconnect from you.

There is NO distinction between "emergency personnel" and "the cable guy" being in the same room as you when you make a VRS call. It simply doesn't matter. The FCC does not make that distinction. "Oh, wait, it's a cop in the same room, it must be okay to interpret this call because it's gotta be an emergency."

The FCC has been quite clear that Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) is not allowed. They've issued at least two decrees reminding VRS providers that this is not permitted. I'll link the decrees in a bit, but suffice it to say the FCC has 'em on their website. Again, the FCC does NOT say, "but, but, but, 911 VRS calls to police, fire, or ambulatory personnel in person are okay."

I'm doing advocacy for VRS in the midwest now. It's my responsibility to know enough about the rules and issues of VRS to answer questions and gain support for VRS with issues like 911 and true number calling. I thought the same like you once -- come on, it's free interpreting, I should be able to use it anywhere with anyone I want. Nope. Not allowed.

There is NO distinction between "emergency personnel" and "the cable guy" being in the same room as you when you make a VRS call. It simply doesn't matter. The FCC does not make that distinction. "Oh, wait, it's a cop in the same room, it must be okay to interpret this call because it's gotta be an emergency."

The FCC has been quite clear that Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) is not allowed. They've issued at least two decrees reminding VRS providers that this is not permitted. I'll link the decrees in a bit, but suffice it to say the FCC has 'em on their website. Again, the FCC does NOT say, "but, but, but, 911 VRS calls to police, fire, or ambulatory personnel in person are okay."

I'm doing advocacy for VRS in the midwest now. It's my responsibility to know enough about the rules and issues of VRS to answer questions and gain support for VRS with issues like 911 and true number calling. I thought the same like you once -- come on, it's free interpreting, I should be able to use it anywhere with anyone I want. Nope. Not allowed.

I work for Sorenson. WE DO IT. We do not charge the FCC for it. We do it because its the right thing to do.

You'd have to prove that you don't charge for it. Where's the proof?

We don't have to prove anything to you, as it is all proprietary and confidential information. That's between Sorenson and the FCC. But Sorenson will provide VRI after a valid 911 call if the parties request it and the FCC does not pay for it.

We don't have to prove anything to you, as it is all proprietary and confidential information. That's between Sorenson and the FCC. But Sorenson will provide VRI after a valid 911 call if the parties request it and the FCC does not pay for it.

see see see nice soresnon help people with valid 911. yet, some people still fuck bash soresnon. they shuold keep phuck out :fu2:

thanks you hohohioguy

you try it already, no?

Nope, smells like a publicity stunt. "Look at us, we're so nice. People hate us, but because we say we love kittens and flowers and don't bill for interpreting in person, we're no longer evil so you can't hate us."

Of course, since no one will ever see what Sorenson gives to the FCC, no one will ever know the real truth. Sorenson never published an announcement about this. As long as no one actually checks at the FCC, Sorenson can do whatever they want and no one would be the wiser.

I suppose I could test it out. What should I try? Set my house on fire? Have a heart attack in my home? Invite someone over to rob me?

qwerty123 said:
you try it already, no?

Absolutely. I had an interpreter hang up on me when I was showing someone VRS in my house and called them on their cell phone. The interpreter saw them looking right at the screen, said, "Sorry, rules prevent us from interpreting this call." and hung up. Customer service told me the whole story.

Back