Sorenson 911

ideafspy

Reaction score
What do you think that Sorenson provided the service of 911?

At this time, IMPOSSIBLE!!! due to nature of the addressing system. There is NO way that Sorenson can get information on specific IP address. So therefore can't use 911 service.

diehardbiker65 said:
At this time, IMPOSSIBLE!!! due to nature of the addressing system. There is NO way that Sorenson can get information on specific IP address. So therefore can't use 911 service.

the way you speak that sound same as over for VoIP then both are impossible?

ideafspy said:
the way you speak that sound same as over for VoIP then both are impossible?

E-911 systems for VOIP are still behind. For VOIP, registration is required. For Sorenson's 911 solution, you can't change your phone number on your VP, and there will be no guarantee that you're at the location where the phone number says you're supposed to be. I could put in 555-555-5555 on my VP -- doesn't help 911 find out where I am. I could have my real phone number on there but take my VP to my work and not have the right location. It's a problem that Sorenson just wants to have positive publicity about 911 but they're not creating the right solution for it -- they just want to pressure the FCC into doing things their way.

Dennis said:
E-911 systems for VOIP are still behind. For VOIP, registration is required. For Sorenson's 911 solution, you can't change your phone number on your VP, and there will be no guarantee that you're at the location where the phone number says you're supposed to be. I could put in 555-555-5555 on my VP -- doesn't help 911 find out where I am. I could have my real phone number on there but take my VP to my work and not have the right location. It's a problem that Sorenson just wants to have positive publicity about 911 but they're not creating the right solution for it -- they just want to pressure the FCC into doing things their way.
I don't know if you are or what are you.

You sound like person is anti-sorenson on another forum.

If you disagree and why not you set yours VRS?

Dennis said:
according to the press release, it would be like this

call SVRS
then caller request emergency 911
VRS initiate 911 calls
SVRS 911 calls quickly dispatched
and routed to appropriate agency
caller and agency start communicating via vrs interpreter.

I am feeling that we SVRS VP-100/200 users may have to input our contact information so when 911 calls is made, they can look up and provide the addresses to agency.

ideafspy said:

Well, Dennis is correct.

Don't you know that there are some bogus phone numbers on any VP? I bet the 911 operator might send the emergency vechiles to the wrong address.

First thing to do is to inquire the name of county emergency operators to ensure that you are in right place (not in Delware or they would perform mouth to mouth on LinuxGold).

ideafspy said:

In this conversation (this thread), he was not "anti-sorenson", he was not updated recently in last few days since 911 was ADDED to sorenson service. Up to this point, he was correct, 911 (for a long time) was designed to work with hardline (old method) that was converted to proper phone number (i.e. 1-300-xxx-xxxx) that DIRECTS to the local emergency service, something that Internet lacked.

Now with Geo IP technology available, equipments (hardware, software and some communications between services) has been innovated to a point that IP can be backtracked to where it was PHYSICALLY located, but not yet 100% effective due to spoofed IP or hacked activities that might occur.

That is the exact the real problem. To find out where the IP address is located, have to contact the ISP for the address information, usually most ISP won't release the information in fear of liablity with lawsuit for breaking confidential information. Another problem is that most IP addresses are assigned using DHCP format, meaning it can be change anytime, and as many times as they changes. That is what causing the problems. For landline telephone, The FCC already authorized telephone company to supply the database to 911 center, and these phone number rarely change, and that made it ALOT easier for 911 operator to find the location.

The real problem is the technical issues more than political BS.

Dennis said:

LinuxGold said:
Sorenson VRS now allow us to dial 911. Go Here:

Interesting. However, Sorenson VRS strongly suggest that
we keep TTY for quicker emergency access directly to 911
only because 911 already have your home address etc.

Okay Fine... But, I am very very concerned that
we will NOT be able to use TTY anymore within a
few years from now because TTY works very well
with Analog network. FCC will remove Analog Requirement
in 2007 I am discouraged about FCC's decision.

People should inform FCC that Analog should NEVER
be removed from the network system ONLY because
we NEED Analog System for TTY 911 emergency !!!!

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=263

Right, I got nothing against Sorenson. It is just that the IP address itself is not as "Physically" as landline, that is where the problem is. I can BET you all, when you unplug your VP, and all computers and completely disconnect from cable modem or DSL, then wait 1 whole month and reconnect, you will be seeing different IP address assigned on your public IP address. That is where the confuse can happen. PLUS, another problem is that suppose you take your VP to your parent's house and have to make 911 calls, where do you think 911 dispatcher *thinks* you are? I bet you they would think your at your home instead of your parent's house, sending emt, cops, firemen to wrong address. That is the real problem.

I wouldn't assure that the implement of 911 that Sorenson is having will be 100% effective, and there will be problems awaiting!!!

LinuxGold said:
In this conversation (this thread), he was not "anti-sorenson", he was not updated recently in last few days since 911 was ADDED to sorenson service. Up to this point, he was correct, 911 (for a long time) was designed to work with hardline (old method) that was converted to proper phone number (i.e. 1-300-xxx-xxxx) that DIRECTS to the local emergency service, something that Internet lacked.

Now with Geo IP technology available, equipments (hardware, software and some communications between services) has been innovated to a point that IP can be backtracked to where it was PHYSICALLY located, but not yet 100% effective due to spoofed IP or hacked activities that might occur.

Y said:
Interesting. However, Sorenson VRS strongly suggest that
we keep TTY for quicker emergency access directly to 911
only because 911 already have your home address etc.

Okay Fine... But, I am very very concerned that
we will NOT be able to use TTY anymore within a
few years from now because TTY works very well
with Analog network. FCC will remove Analog Requirement
in 2007 I am surprised about FCC's decision.

People should inform FCC that Analog should NEVER
be removed from the network system ONLY because
we NEED Analog System for TTY 911 emergency !!!!

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=263

That is why FCC is enforcing the Internet services to comply to 911 requirements BEFORE analog lines are removed.

Sorenson VRS still recommend TTY for now because Internet 911 technologies are not FULLY matured. 911 service via Sorenson is STILL being innovated to a point that they become 100% reliable.

I'm well aware of DHCP protocol (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) where IP dynamically changes when a workstation re-registers into network. IP will be backtracked to a DHCP SERVER and request for the Geo IP via DHCP server's own DNS (Domain Name Server) which constantly keep up with where the physical cable is located (i.e. how did you order on-demand movies on TV for example.)

ideafspy said:
Originally Posted by Dennis

I concur this.

IloveVP said:
I concur this.

:roll:

What the fast time to contact 911?

Landline TDD!!!!!

How long does it take to turn on VP? Don't forget to turn on TV, switch for computer/modem, and VP. How long will Sorenson terp to response to your 911 call?

I bet Emergency vehicles will arrive when the Sorenson terp will clarfy your location...

Mookie said:
:roll:

What the fast time to contact 911?

Landline TDD!!!!!

How long does it take to turn on VP? Don't forget to turn on TV, switch for computer/modem, and VP. How long will Sorenson terp to response to your 911 call?

I bet Emergency vehicles will arrive when the Sorenson terp will clarfy your location...

I agree about turning on TV, switching and things like that.

From the sorenson video concerning 911, the 911 gets the TOP priority (no waiting time) and you will immediately get interpreter ready for 911 calls.

I'm sure when things improve progressively in time, the gap in timing will be greatly reduced.

I plan to buy small TV, to leave it on 24/7 and put it somewhere more confidental and comfortable without having to switch it over to cable, games or dvd. A dedicated TV set for VP only.

LinuxGold said:
I agree about turning on TV, switching and things like that.

From the sorenson video concerning 911, the 911 gets the TOP priority (no waiting time) and you will immediately get interpreter ready for 911 calls.

I'm sure when things improve progressively in time, the gap in timing will be greatly reduced.

I plan to buy small TV, to leave it on 24/7 and put it somewhere more confidental and comfortable without having to switch it over to cable, games or dvd. A dedicated TV set for VP only.

Keep in mind that there are relay centers in different regions. What would happen if the power goes out in another region or not enough VRS terps on ONE Sorenson VRS. Why can't Sorenson VRS share with other VRS competiors?

I am not going to use Sorenson 911. I perfer 911% on open VRS competiors via Sorenson VP-100/200. I am sure that Sorenson is an only selfish company who only believes in limited social responsibility...

Mookie said:
Keep in mind that there are relay centers in different regions. What would happen if the power goes out in another region or not enough VRS terps on ONE Sorenson VRS. Why can't Sorenson VRS share with other VRS competiors?

I am not going to use Sorenson 911. I perfer 911% on open VRS competiors via Sorenson VP-100/200. I am sure that Sorenson is an only selfish company who only believes in limited social responsibility...

Right now FCC is trying to enforce VP services to pool with other services i.e. DLINK and what's what to prevent incompatibility issues between those services. And since VP is pretty new, deaf population is overwhealming the services' ability to provide FREE service.

Back