Sorenson 911

The FCC has mandated that TRS (Telecommunications Relay Services) providers (both text and video) provide quick accessibility to 911 services. It is up to EACH company to come up with a solution on their own. Sorenson has come up with a solution that will make 911 calls quicker and more accessible. Sorenson, as a corporation, has no obligation to help other companies come up with their own 911 solution. That doesn't make business sense at all. And not only is Sorenson a business, but so is Sprint, CSD, HOVRS, GoAmerica, etc. None of those companies have contributed significant innovations in the field of VRS.

Does Danger provide Sony Ericsson, Motorola, LG, or Samsung information so they can make a device that the Deaf community will embrace? No.

Does Microsoft provide Apple computer with ideas and technology so that Macs will get better? No.

Does Honda share their technology with Ford so Ford will make better cars?

The answer to all of these questions is NO. UNLESS THEY PAY FOR IT.

Welcome to business in America. While the deaf community has historically been collectivist in it's thinking, in the American business world it's every man for himself.

Instead of tearing Sorenson down for taking the initiative, fronting the money and developing a WORKING solution for 911 calls, why not give them a thumbs up? Or tear down HOVRS and others for NOT developing a solution.

LinuxGold said:
I'm well aware of DHCP protocol (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) where IP dynamically changes when a workstation re-registers into network. IP will be backtracked to a DHCP SERVER and request for the Geo IP via DHCP server's own DNS (Domain Name Server) which constantly keep up with where the physical cable is located (i.e. how did you order on-demand movies on TV for example.)
Sorenson rely on mac hardware address. dynamic ip is not important.

as long you keep your contact information up to date (address and phone etc)

I can't go into details about the 911 system because of confidentiality, but the 911 system doesn't rely on IP addresses or MAC ID.

MAC address itself does not contain the address of the location!!! It is permanent "Serial number" on the device.

And you see, "As long as you keep your contact information up to date" what if a person forgot to let the central database of update? Or what if there is delay with update of database, this is gonna cause problems.

Boult said:

Like I said, the MAC ID has nothing to do with the 911 system. Neither does the IP address.

And yes it have NOTHING to do with physical location TOO!

HoHGuyOhio said:
Like I said, the MAC ID has nothing to do with the 911 system. Neither does the IP address.

My point is that debating about MAC ID and IP address and location is pointless because it has nothing to do with 911. So saying that calling 911 through Sorenson is no good because of MAC ID and IP address is ridiculous.

HoHGuyOhio said:
The FCC has mandated that TRS (Telecommunications Relay Services) providers (both text and video) provide quick accessibility to 911 services. It is up to EACH company to come up with a solution on their own. Sorenson has come up with a solution that will make 911 calls quicker and more accessible. Sorenson, as a corporation, has no obligation to help other companies come up with their own 911 solution. That doesn't make business sense at all. And not only is Sorenson a business, but so is Sprint, CSD, HOVRS, GoAmerica, etc. None of those companies have contributed significant innovations in the field of VRS.

Does Danger provide Sony Ericsson, Motorola, LG, or Samsung information so they can make a device that the Deaf community will embrace? No.

Does Microsoft provide Apple computer with ideas and technology so that Macs will get better? No.

Does Honda share their technology with Ford so Ford will make better cars?

The answer to all of these questions is NO. UNLESS THEY PAY FOR IT.

Welcome to business in America. While the deaf community has historically been collectivist in it's thinking, in the American business world it's every man for himself.

Instead of tearing Sorenson down for taking the initiative, fronting the money and developing a WORKING solution for 911 calls, why not give them a thumbs up? Or tear down HOVRS and others for NOT developing a solution.

:gpost:

Boult said:

Oh, that's right. *updating myself* MAC address -- how stupid can I be? :)

Ok ok, I'll research throughouly on this issue and see what I can come up with.

I wouldn't say it is no good. Just that there will always be problems with the system, especially with the "Location" of the orignated calls that is being made.

HoHGuyOhio said:
My point is that debating about MAC ID and IP address and location is pointless because it has nothing to do with 911. So saying that calling 911 through Sorenson is no good because of MAC ID and IP address is ridiculous.

They can find where you are only if you provide them right address. It same idea for VoIP such as Vonage require to have right addres or otherwise they are not responible for what happening.

The VoIP device has ip or mac device to use to match their system to able for 911 location where you are. So I think that is possible unless you set up VP-911.

Thats my point, do you think EVERY person would think of this and update promptly? That is why I don't think it is realiable. I read in the announcement at Sorenson website, they said it is STILL recommend using landline phone instead of using VP for 911 due to accuracy of the location.

ideafspy said:
They can find where you are only if you provide them right address. It same idea for VoIP such as Vonage require to have right addres or otherwise they are not responible for what happening.

How many times do I have to say this?

The Sorenson 911 System Does Not Rely On Mac Id's Or Ip Addresses So Stop Saying That It Isn't Reliable Because You Don't Know What You're Talking About.

A TRUE 911 SYSTEM would require NO interaction on the part of the emergency caller

Sorenson's proposed 911 system would require TWO calls on the interpreter's behalf, AND the caller has to interact with the interpreter to give them their address and other locational info.

The interpreters CANNOT look up the user's emergency info from a database or phone number, because there's no guarantee that the phone number of the VP is the same as the one where the caller is located right this moment.

True 911 calling would mean that you dial 911 on VRS and get the RIGHT emergency center with your location info for them to send help WITHOUT YOU TELLING THEM YOURSELF. You could be dying, unconscious, fighting with an intruder, disabled, immobile, or even be a hearing person who doesn't know sign when you press "Dial 911" and need to get an emergency dispatch to your location.

Curious why do you raise the case on first letter of each word? You think I don't know what I am talking about? I have one abbrevate for you.... RME!

HoHGuyOhio said:
The Sorenson 911 System Does Not Rely On Mac Id's Or Ip Addresses So Stop Saying That It Isn't Reliable Because You Don't Know What You're Talking About.

This is the exact what I am concern of this. Suppose a person in panic mode, and may not think straight and not able to give out information correctly, OR worse yet, that person happen to be a visitor and had no idea of location and won't be able to give out location information. Too may flaws in there that I see already.

Dennis said:
A TRUE 911 SYSTEM would require NO interaction on the part of the emergency caller

Sorenson's proposed 911 system would require TWO calls on the interpreter's behalf, AND the caller has to interact with the interpreter to give them their address and other locational info.

The interpreters CANNOT look up the user's emergency info from a database or phone number, because there's no guarantee that the phone number of the VP is the same as the one where the caller is located right this moment.

True 911 calling would mean that you dial 911 on VRS and get the RIGHT emergency center with your location info for them to send help WITHOUT YOU TELLING THEM YOURSELF. You could be dying, unconscious, fighting with an intruder, disabled, immobile, or even be a hearing person who doesn't know sign when you press "Dial 911" and need to get an emergency dispatch to your location.

flaws or not, sorenson is the leader in 911 service over other vrs providers since march 2006

landline phones is best of all, but still can do 911 over videophone no matter what way or how you shave a cat, still the same

same location problem with VoIP

diehardbiker65 said:
This is the exact what I am concern of this. Suppose a person in panic mode, and may not think straight and not able to give out information correctly, OR worse yet, that person happen to be a visitor and had no idea of location and won't be able to give out location information. Too may flaws in there that I see already.

Dennis said:

proposed? it is already in place since march 2006

Dennis said:

right, what are you complaining about? this is inevitable fact. vrs users can still pass on the landline phone number or phyiscal address to the vrs interpreter, then terp pass on to the 911 center for database look up, then dispatch the public service

what more? no waiting in queue if dialed 911 on vp

simply there are too many deafies threw out or stashed away ttys. what if you pull out inch thick dust coated tty out of the drawer and flip it on, realize no power, search for outlet to plug in power adaptor, brush off dust from keyboard, roaches critting out, your futuristic phone receiver dont fit on the tty cradle, too many problems here. when the last time you used tty?

if dialed 911, bang the receiver on the table, police come out, realize you mean paramedics, add in 5 10 minutes for medics to come out. 911 on vp can do the same thing

so what the fuss about using 911 on vp when sorenson offers the service?

diehardbiker65 said:

saw jay leno show last night he pulled together several STUPID 911 calls you would not believe how stupid hearing people when they called to 911

no difference or concerns here

Back