Sorenson 911

HoHGuyOhio said:
Instead of tearing Sorenson down for taking the initiative, fronting the money and developing a WORKING solution for 911 calls, why not give them a thumbs up? Or tear down HOVRS and others for NOT developing a solution.

bravo, bravo i give two thumbs mile high to hohguyohio. :cheers:

come on, diehardbiker and dennis, what are you fussing about? still :fu: to sorenson and :69: to hovrs?

ideafspy said:
They can find where you are only if you provide them right address. It same idea for VoIP such as Vonage require to have right addres or otherwise they are not responible for what happening.

The VoIP device has ip or mac device to use to match their system to able for 911 location where you are. So I think that is possible unless you set up VP-911.

right you provide the mac number at registration time with voip provider along with phyiscal address

Mookie said:
Keep in mind that there are relay centers in different regions. What would happen if the power goes out in another region or not enough VRS terps on ONE Sorenson VRS. Why can't Sorenson VRS share with other VRS competiors?

I am not going to use Sorenson 911. I perfer 911% on open VRS competiors via Sorenson VP-100/200. I am sure that Sorenson is an only selfish company who only believes in limited social responsibility...

let me know the results after you call 911 to non-sorenson vrs and hope its too late (heart attack, raping/robbery in progress, house burned down, etc) ok?

share with other vrs providers? why cant you share your bed with lover with me?

Hey, your mistaken! I am not against Sorenson! In fact, I STILL do use their service, and I AVOIDED HOVRS because I know HOVRS allies and I don't like them. I also have two Sorenson VP-100 and two Dlink DVC-1000.

qwerty123 said:

come on, diehardbiker and dennis, what are you fussing about? still :fu: to sorenson and :69: to hovrs?

qwerty123 said:
right you provide the mac number at registration time with voip provider along with phyiscal address
Right, however; I don't know how Sorenson will update our vp-100 and 200 to able reg. to our phsyical address. Hope they are working on it. :)

qwerty123 said:
let me know the results after you call 911 to non-sorenson vrs and hope its too late (heart attack, raping/robbery in progress, house burned down, etc) ok?

:bowlol:

qwerty123 said:

:roll: I would prefer to use 911 via the landline. Why? Of course, it is the fastest connection to the 911 from the TTD. The slowest connection is to use 911 via the VP. Qwerty, you knew perfectly as well.

Keep in mind that visitors are unfamiliar with 911 system via Sorenson VP so they would always dial 911 via the landline. If I am the guest at my deaf friend's residence, I may not know where the heck is VP so I dial the 911 via the simple telephone or TDD. Qwerty, use your freking common sense...

Of course, I use different VRS competitors since I knew only Sorenson VRS would take a bit longer to answer any deafie's request.

Mookie said:
:roll: I would prefer to use 911 via the landline. Why? Of course, it is the fastest connection to the 911 from the TTD. The slowest connection is to use 911 via the VP. Qwerty, you knew perfectly as well.

Keep in mind that visitors are unfamiliar with 911 system via Sorenson VP so they would always dial 911 via the landline. If I am the guest at my deaf friend's residence, I may not know where the heck is VP so I dial the 911 via the simple telephone or TDD. Qwerty, use your freking common sense...

Of course, I use different VRS competitors since I knew only Sorenson VRS would take a bit longer to answer any deafie's request.

right on, mookie

now, the majority of TDD machines are either dead, stashed away, or not even working so would you still want to use TDD? If i were you ill just dial 911 on landline phone and use my deafy voice to request whatever service I need. ill dial 911 first, then search for TDD, if found, flick it on, if work then put phone receiver on craddle and type away the message. if they respond, ill explain what is the nature of emergency.

and using 911 on Sorenson vp will take you to the top of the queue, therefore no waiting time. get your facts straight.

for most vp users, the vp phone number is the actual landline phone number and the vrs terp can simply pass on the information name and phone number in almost real time to 911 center intrado and start talking. can request specific public service.

you know that very well

i have used 911 before, so i know what its like

qwerty123 said:
right on, mookie

now, the majority of TDD machines are either dead, stashed away, or not even working so would you still want to use TDD? If i were you ill just dial 911 on landline phone and use my deafy voice to request whatever service I need. ill dial 911 first, then search for TDD, if found, flick it on, if work then put phone receiver on craddle and type away the message. if they respond, ill explain what is the nature of emergency.

and using 911 on Sorenson vp will take you to the top of the queue, therefore no waiting time. get your facts straight.

for most vp users, the vp phone number is the actual landline phone number and the vrs terp can simply pass on the information name and phone number in almost real time to 911 center intrado and start talking. can request specific public service.

you know that very well

i have used 911 before, so i know what its like

Qwerty, you may have known more info than me, Dennis, DHB. Of course, I will keep TDD in case of Internet down. Don't you know that telephone still works well without using the power? Humor me if you may have forgot to purchase an APC back-up battery for your TV, VP, Computer and moniter/LCD or laptop, modem, All-in-one printer and superwoof speakers. Trust me that you will keep your old TDD just in case…

I don’t give a damn about using my deafy squawky voice directly to the 911 dispatcher so that I can save person(s)'s life as long as they can track the call via landline or air. I wonder why you like to make fun of deaf/hard-of-hearing/speech-impaired individual using deafy voices.

I bet Sorenson VRS would record on every 911 calls and they would have to provide to any police dept for request a cop in case if any deafie probably be murdered in front of the eyes of VRS terp. Of course, the enforced investigators are interested to see on the tape instead of VRS terp's words...

Would Sorenson VRS provide the copy of 911 tapes to enforced agencies? Care to share, Mr. Know Everything...

Mookie said:
I bet Sorenson VRS would record on every 911 calls and they would have to provide to any police dept for request a cop in case if any deafie probably be murdered in front of the eyes of VRS terp. Of course, the enforced investigators are interested to see on the tape instead of VRS terp's words...

Would Sorenson VRS provide the copy of 911 tapes to enforced agencies? Care to share, Mr. Know Everything...

what makes you think that sorenson will record the video part of the call?

dunno if they provide the 911 tapes to authorities? me sure intrado would record the voice portion, but me dunno about the video portion.

so, mookie, me not mr know everything

look like that mookie dhb dennis me did not go to nad convention in palm spring to hear sorenson 911 workshop

fact is landline phones are most sure way to reach 911 center, but with aid slowpoke tty so lets not fuss over sorenson tireless great effort to set up 911 system 911 vrs still have to manaully pass on information from caller to 911 center

ok?

qwerty123 said:
what makes you think that sorenson will record the video part of the call?

dunno if they provide the 911 tapes to authorities? me sure intrado would record the voice portion, but me dunno about the video portion.

so, mookie, me not mr know everything

look like that mookie dhb dennis me did not go to nad convention in palm spring to hear sorenson 911 workshop

fact is landline phones are most sure way to reach 911 center, but with aid slowpoke tty so lets not fuss over sorenson tireless great effort to set up 911 system 911 vrs still have to manaully pass on information from caller to 911 center

ok?

Maybe Sorenson workshop at NAD might not share whole senstive info or does not want to make scare to NAD visitors. That's exactly why you have gained more info than us...

911 dispatch center does have recording system. I am sure that Sorenson VRS firm does have recording for high authorized officials only.

Did you inquire Sorenson staff about recording calls?

Qwerty, don't forget to look for APC back-up batter for your VP in case power goes out in your region...

I am very aware of Sorenson's proposed 911 system. I didn't need to attend a workshop where they only share what they want you to hear. I can get to know the really nitty gritty details.

Their system will entail that YOU CALL VRS, you get to the front of their 5 minute wait system. So, if you want to make a VRS call ASAP, just dial 911 and then tell the interpreter you misdialed but since you have them now just dial this other number.

With other VRS, they have their system set up so you get an interpreter right away WITHOUT dialing 911 to "get ahead" of everyone else.

You still have to interact with a VRS interpreter, and the VRS interpreter has to make 2 calls. That's a LOT of time to waste. The industry wants ONE call and that one call to be locatable. Sorenson is trying to force their solution out so that they don't have to go to the trouble of making their VPs compatible with the solution that I'm talking about. They're trying to create "buzz" that they are 911 compatible when they're really not, they just happen to say if you want to get a VRS call right away just dial 911.

When they have a way to make one call and have the VP person not say anything at all to get emergency services to where they are, THEN I'll applaud them.

qwerty123 said:

Verry funny about "two thumbs mile high"... :lol:

qwerty123 said:

Qwerty, you have a Great sense of humor here
:rofl:

:gpost: I'm behind you with this! I would applaude if anyone come up with simplicity, and quick service without any unnecessary delay involved. I don't care who would accomplish this. If it would Sorenson, I clap my hands, If it would be HOVRS, then I'd clap too, I don't care whoever comes up. But SOME DAY... SOME DAY... there will be one! Perhaps independent VRS dedicated for 911 calls only, who knows? So, I think we all need is really a dedicated E-VRS.

Dennis said:
I am very aware of Sorenson's proposed 911 system. I didn't need to attend a workshop where they only share what they want you to hear. I can get to know the really nitty gritty details.

Their system will entail that YOU CALL VRS, you get to the front of their 5 minute wait system. So, if you want to make a VRS call ASAP, just dial 911 and then tell the interpreter you misdialed but since you have them now just dial this other number.

With other VRS, they have their system set up so you get an interpreter right away WITHOUT dialing 911 to "get ahead" of everyone else.

You still have to interact with a VRS interpreter, and the VRS interpreter has to make 2 calls. That's a LOT of time to waste. The industry wants ONE call and that one call to be locatable. Sorenson is trying to force their solution out so that they don't have to go to the trouble of making their VPs compatible with the solution that I'm talking about. They're trying to create "buzz" that they are 911 compatible when they're really not, they just happen to say if you want to get a VRS call right away just dial 911.

When they have a way to make one call and have the VP person not say anything at all to get emergency services to where they are, THEN I'll applaud them.

diehardbiker65 said:
:gpost: I'm behind you with this! I would applaude if anyone come up with simplicity, and quick service without any unnecessary delay involved. I don't care who would accomplish this. If it would Sorenson, I clap my hands, If it would be HOVRS, then I'd clap too, I don't care whoever comes up. But SOME DAY... SOME DAY... there will be one! Perhaps independent VRS dedicated for 911 calls only, who knows? So, I think we all need is really a dedicated E-VRS.

Then, we need to figure out about
WHO is responsible to resolve this
Deaf Communications EMERGENCY ?
FCC ? FEMA ? etc ?

IF someone says FCC, then get the
specific name of person in FCC who
is responsible for this ????

FCC is way too general. We need to
get the exact name of person in FCC
who probably got paid with very high
salary to do it rather than
let him/her get away without ever
doing anything about it at all.

The FCC is asking for your input. See here:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-57A1.pdf

On page 26 and 27 of the PDF, (numbers 79-85) they are asking for anyone and everyone to go here and input as much information as you can about your thoughts on 911 for VRS, universal telephone numbers for VRS, protocols, and all that jazz. To submit your comments (AND BE SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE!) go to here:

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/ecfs/Upload/ and click on:

Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) - Docket 03-123
Comments on Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS) issues

and remember to be specific about your concerns and as detailed as possible. It also helps to write in clear English as the people reading them don't understand deaf grammar very well. Don't write something like, "I want VRS interop pls thank u" write something like,

"In reference to DECLARATORY RULING AND FURTHER NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING submitted on May 3, 2006 about Relay VRS, I would like to say that VRS interoperability should be done by doing blah blah blah, and 911 emergency calls should go like I call a VRS and I get a 911 operator on the line in 10 seconds who knows exactly where I am and can send help immediately."

The more detail you provide, the easier it will be for the FCC to decide that this is what you really want instead of Sorenson's lame "you get bumped to the front of the queue and we make 2 calls and don't know where you are"

Dennis,

Why do you talk about things that you don't know about? The VRS interpreter at Sorenson only makes ONE call.

We're not saying that Sorenons solution is better than calling from a landline. Consider the following, though.

Typing on a tty and turn-taking (GA GA GA) eats up a lot of time. Using ASL on a VP is undeniably faster than turn-taking on TTY.

Another thing to remember...the emergency doesn't ALWAYS happen AT the VP user's address. So dispatching police and/or EMT to the address automatically might waste time.

Also...I have worked with a local 911 center to make sure their TTY response was up-to-speed. You should know that if someone calls 911 and doesn't say anything, they do not dispatch police there right away. It can take up to an hour for someone to arrive. However, if a deafie called 911 through Sorenson and relayed information about the location and nature of the emergency, if it is a TRUE emergency (as determined by the deafie's local PSAP) then someone would be dispatched much quicker.

Again...Sorenson 911 services aren't the best if the VP user is unconscious, but is very fast. Faster than any of their competition. :)

Also Sorenson RARELY has 5 minute wait time. AND Sorenson doesn't record 911 calls, or any other call for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
HoHGuyOhio said:
Dennis,

Why do you talk about things that you don't know about? The VRS interpreter at Sorenson only makes ONE call.

We're not saying that Sorenons solution is better than calling from a landline. Consider the following, though.

Typing on a tty and turn-taking (GA GA GA) eats up a lot of time. Using ASL on a VP is undeniably faster than turn-taking on TTY.

Another thing to remember...the emergency doesn't ALWAYS happen AT the VP user's address. So dispatching police and/or EMT to the address automatically might waste time.

Also...I have worked with a local 911 center to make sure their TTY response was up-to-speed. You should know that if someone calls 911 and doesn't say anything, they do not dispatch police there right away. It can take up to an hour for someone to arrive. However, if a deafie called 911 through Sorenson and relayed information about the location and nature of the emergency, if it is a TRUE emergency (as determined by the deafie's local PSAP) then someone would be dispatched much quicker.

Again...Sorenson 911 services aren't the best if the VP user is unconscious, but is very fast. Faster than any of their competition. :)

Also Sorenson RARELY has 5 minute wait time. AND Sorenson doesn't record 911 calls, or any other call for that matter.

HoHGuyOhio,

Apparently, you work for Sorenson. Right?

I am sure that in future FCC will enforce Sorenson to provide the 911 records only since the enforcement agencies would like to watch the tape between VRS terp and caller that would make their job easier. It is the perfect tool for the murdered victims. Believe me that it will happen.

I also dialed 911 via the landline. 911 dispatching operator answered in 30 seconds which is faster than turning on the switches of TV, VP, and cable modem. Maybe it may take longer to search the VP remote control....

Where did you get info? Did you test recently?

Please show me your proof. All you have to do is to record via your digital camcorder and show AllDeaf people to dial 911 on your TDD via the landline. I think you are trying to scare Deafies/HHs/CIs and force them to use the VP....

On the other hand, there may be ver busy at the 911 center depending on location. I think local 911 center would accept 911 callers priorty. The second calls from Sorenson 911 callers may be not priorty since they use exact phone number instead of 911 directly to the right location. Correct me if my theory may be wrong. 911 is way faster than Sorenson 911. Believe me...

Y said:
Then, we need to figure out about
WHO is responsible to resolve this
Deaf Communications EMERGENCY ?
FCC ? FEMA ? etc ?

IF someone says FCC, then get the
specific name of person in FCC who
is responsible for this ????

FCC is way too general. We need to
get the exact name of person in FCC
who probably got paid with very high
salary to do it rather than
let him/her get away without ever
doing anything about it at all.

whew, you need lot education in relay field. it not ONE person responsbile for the whole thing.

go to this link on press release

Back