Something to think about re oral only/mainstreaming

The problem is this, and without and references or sources to back it up (note the bolded words):

Most...and major...? Oh, please. A serious subject with hyperboles and nary a source or reference to back up that claim?

It ain't serious when it comes to over generalizing.

Kokonut,

We have been told by the oracle of research that those sources and references have been produced numerous times.

Rick

Yeah, so numerous but can't even produce a single source or reference for easy linking look up.

I guess not many here see that many deaf children still suffering from this method as a problem?

I guess I must be one of the few who is really really concerned.

Do not equate asking to be provided with sources or references to back up a claim with not caring about an issue.

Do not equate asking to be provided with sources or references to back up a claim with not caring about an issue.

Huh? I have no idea what you are talking about in regard to sources. I didnt ask for any sources. :confused:

If you all have issues with sources or whatever, pls leave me out of it.

I see what happens in real life and it is a problem.

Research has shown a prevalence of psychosocial difficulties ranging from about 20% to 50% among children with hearing loss. This study evaluates the prevalence of psychosocial difficulties in a Danish population in relation to different explanatory variables. Five scales and questionnaires measuring sign language, spoken language, hearing abilities, and psychosocial difficulties were given to 334 children with hearing loss. Results show that the prevalence of psychosocial difficulties was 3.7 times greater compared with a group of hearing children. In the group of children with additional disabilities, the prevalence was 3 times greater compared with children without additional disabilities. If sign language and/or oral language abilities are good, the children do not have a substantially higher level of psychosocial difficulties than do hearing children. This study documents the importance of communication—no matter the modality or degree of hearing loss—for the psychosocial well-being of hearing-impaired children.
Psychosocial Development in a Danish Population of Children With Cochlear Implants and Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Children ? J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ

So much for that. Of course, communication is key for self-esteem and well being.

Biased.....someone is making money from that.......the group was not random enough.....that is not current.....that doesn't include XYZ and that is the only thing that matters in research......you are drawing incorrect conclusions based on.....

TRANSLATION

I don't like what that says so I will cover my eyes and scream and won't have to listen :D

Examining adolescents with and without implants, concluded that school placement played a larger role than implant status, illustrated by the finding that adolescents who attended mainstream schools had marginally higher levels of self-esteem compared to students attending deaf schools (Leigh WI, Maxwell-McCaw D, Bat-Chava Y, Christiansen JB(2009) Correlates of psychosocial adjustment in deaf adolescents with and without cochlear implants: A preliminary investigation. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education 14:244–259).

Interesting....

Biased.....someone is making money from that.......the group was not random enough.....that is not current.....that doesn't include XYZ and that is the only thing that matters in research......you are drawing incorrect conclusions based on.....

TRANSLATION

I don't like what that says so I will cover my eyes and scream and won't have to listen :D

In 3.....2....................1...................................

This is just another one of those discussions that get nowhere and serve no purpose other than pointing fingers. Both sides are looking for faults of the other, pitted like it's a football game. The question usually starts out honest and immediately goes straight into showtime.

I don't deny that oral who get called out on should be able to retort to their challengers, but this is obviously a black and white case of the teapot calling the kettle black.

Can't it just be accepted for the fact that there are those who excel in both, and there are those who fail at both?

It's not that, it's asking for sources of a claim that DD made. We're asking where are the studies that support your claim.

Of course, there are those who are successful and those who fell between the cracks or those who continue to struggle. There are a variety of factors involved here.

In my public school, from Kindergaten to third grade: No one talked to me. I did not have any friends. I sat by myself. Just like you seen kids who are unable to walk sit by themselves too.

Then I moved, and sat with my neighbors. (I couldn't go to my local elementary school in the first place because they didn't have special education)

I don't need research to know this stuff when I experienced it myself. People who decide to go blind about this are only hurting more kids.

In my public school, from Kindergaten to third grade: No one talked to me. I did not have any friends. I sat by myself. Just like you seen kids who are unable to walk sit by themselves too.

Then I moved, and sat with my neighbors. (I couldn't go to my local elementary school in the first place because they didn't have special education)

I don't need research to know this stuff when I experienced it myself. People who decide to go blind about this are only hurting more kids.
Sorry to hear about your experience. But that doesn't mean it was also all of the others' as well. Also, deaf children are hearing better now with the cochlear implants than the deaf children did back then with hearing aids.

Sorry to hear about your experience. But that doesn't mean it was also all of the others' as well. Also, deaf children are hearing better now with the cochlear implants than the deaf children did back then with hearing aids.

did you go to public school from beginning to end without any deaf program? Most deaf people I know seem to had AVT or oral school or even self-contained class for the deaf even for a short while. I had none of that. It was literally "slap on a hearing aid (phonic ear FM, actually) and send her to public school"

anyway, yes, kids with Cochlear implant will experience it:

Socioeconomic status not associated with access to cochlear implants

Denial isn't helping.

Still, it still applies to some random kids who are unfortunately in these schools.

I even witnessed a girl ci user who had it since she was baby. I could see that her social skill is different than other hearing gals last year.

Back