Something to think about re oral only/mainstreaming

It's cause your speech is "too good". I heard and I agree, you can pass without catching the attention of a hearing person. If you did have bad speech, that probably makes them feel more at ease that you are "at their level" is my best guess. Which is stupid, because to me if you put those skills to public and the hearing knew how deaf you were, it would cause shockers, exactly like your past experiences.

Crab theory really seems to hold back deaf culture. I don't get why some culturally Deafs can't think deeper than past the surface issues.. Seriously.

I know some certain culturally deaf people who aren't open minded enough and i rather not socialize with the type of people. Needless to say that the word : crab theory is very old for me for many years. There were many cliques in the culturally deaf people. Truly, old culturally people are doing to each other in order to break and shatter spreading out and lost. I know some of them who are young but i called them "old" becasue they were stuck in their old times from their elder people who taught them this way. But there are those type of deaf people who likes talking so crab theory then they have issues based on their upbringing of being around hateful hearing people. I grew up with my hearing family and lived with them and I can see the different between those bitter culturally deaf people and happy culturally deaf. Just stay away from the bitter culturally deaf people. Sad.

Maybe they think that I'm one of those people who is "functionally HoH" but decided to call herself deaf. By their reactions, you'd think it's impossible for a deaf person to speak?!
Maybe too it's a generational thing. There are quite a few audilogically deaf as kids who responded well to aiding or intense speech therapy, (remember those kids are classifed as hoh) but overall most deaf as kids of a certain age got TC. Meaning they had speech skills but the speech skills varied tremendously in how sophsicated they were. Even kids who were orally educated (ie went to Clarke or CID or whatever) may not have had super sophsicated (ie on a par with hearing kids) speech abilty.

I was successful at being oral, and I'm embarrassed by it. I shouldn't be. And I feel guilty when I know that it didn't work out for so many. Many of my deaf friends have no idea I can speak, as I hide it from them. Does that make me a hypocrite? Or does it make me respectful to them? I don't know.

I'm 31 years old, and I still don't know.

(Reaction from reading something Dare said)
It's a free country. You should be able to speak if you want.

is sometimes in the deaf culture, deaf people who are perceived to "speak well" are met with some form of hostility and this can hold back deaf culture.
That's not exclusive to the Deaf Community thou! You see this in ALL minority communties!

Back