Something to think about re oral only/mainstreaming

deafdyke

Reaction score
So, a big part of the reason why a lot of hearing parents opt for oral only or mainstreaming, is b/c they feel that it's a much better academic enviroment. Yet I was reading Forbidden Signs. They said that 90% of learning at school happens OUTSIDE of the classroom/formal lesson plans.....Would a mainstreamed/oral student have ccess to that "unwritten curricuum?

So, a big part of the reason why a lot of hearing parents opt for oral only or mainstreaming, is b/c they feel that it's a much better academic enviroment. Yet I was reading Forbidden Signs. They said that 90% of learning at school happens OUTSIDE of the classroom/formal lesson plans.....Would a mainstreamed/oral student have ccess to that "unwritten curricuum?

Why wouldn't they?

learn what

90% learing what outside the classroom?

hence my signature...

B/c incidental learning (the unwritten curriculm) is very hard for oral only and mainstreamed dhh kids. Especially seeing as most oral only kids have major social (social pragmatic language deficts)

just ban it, squabbling finer points seems to buy hearing people's time...
:io:

B/c incidental learning (the unwritten curriculm) is very hard for oral only and mainstreamed dhh kids. Especially seeing as most oral only kids have major social (social pragmatic language deficts)

Can you show me any evidence showing that "most oral only kids have major social deficts" today?

We should feature these two as poster children with a warning: do you want your children to end up like this?!! (um, yes!)

Hey, look at me as well!!! I'm fucked up in the most possible way. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me, toooo! Man, grew up in the oral-auditory learning environment and I had major, major social deficit where where I gained 1 little league baseball championship title to my name along with 2nd place wrestling, state champion soccer team, drama plays, marching band, symphonic band, marching band competitions, etc..etc...oh...damn, I am so socially, in a major way, effed up!

Pshaw!

No, and that is one of the problems that I have continually cited regarding mainstreamed / oral education. The students miss all the peripheral information that inhances their education.

Can you show me any evidence showing that "most oral only kids have major social deficts" today?

It has been shown to you time and time and time again. It isn't that the research doesn't support that claim...it is that you simply refuse to accept it. Not only does research support it, anecdote from the deaf population's self reports support it as well. It just doesn't match the rosy pic you want to have of oral only, so you refuse to accept the obvious.

It has been shown to you time and time and time again. It isn't that the research doesn't support that claim...it is that you simply refuse to accept it. Not only does research support it, anecdote from the deaf population's self reports support it as well. It just doesn't match the rosy pic you want to have of oral only, so you refuse to accept the obvious.

Hey, this isn't a cage match between the two of you. There are a few other people here who may not have witnessed the exchange of data you describe (I haven't). I'd like to see this sort of report. I'd especially like to see if there's any comparative data that segments the different educational options and environments (Oral-only, AVT, Auditory Verbal, Cued Speech, Auditory Access/Bilingual, SEE, TC, voice-off bilingual, ASL-only) . Obv. you don't need to post the whole piece, but as much of a reference as you can provide to go on so we can find it ourselves from amidst a lot of research.

Hey, this isn't a cage match between the two of you. There are a few other people here who may not have witnessed the exchange of data you describe (I haven't). I'd like to see this sort of report. I'd especially like to see if there's any comparative data that segments the different educational options and environments (Oral-only, AVT, Auditory Verbal, Cued Speech, Auditory Access/Bilingual, SEE, TC, voice-off bilingual, ASL-only) . Obv. you don't need to post the whole piece, but as much of a reference as you can provide to go on so we can find it ourselves from amidst a lot of research.

You know, if you are interested, I have literally boxes of research article collected over the years. I will be more than happy to look up some citations for you and PM you with them. I have done so for many posters in this forum.

Re: my reply to FJ: said information has been provided numerous times. Still she ignores it and continues to request that which was provided and ignored. It is a vicious cycle that needs to be broken. It has become destructive to productive discussion of these topics.

Wirelessly posted

jillio knows that she has never once responded to me asking for data. She has, in fact, always said exactly what she said this time, as well as saying that i should pay her to do the research, or that she isn't going to spoon feed me.

also, when i post research that shows something different, she claims it is biased.

but, none of that matters because my post was directed at dd who made the claim.

also, grendel, please follow up and let us know if jillio does actually give you any information. Come by, say, once a week and let us know!

Back