Sheriff Arpaio Spanked

My ex hubby who was born in Mexico got a gun pulled at him in AZ for driving a red sportscar. They asked him if it was his. He was frightened and furious for having to go through that experience for no reason. We were 17 years old at the time.

Is it in Maricopa County (Phoenix)?

and the federal judge got involved and found that Arpaio has systematically targeted the non-Caucasian people in a racist manner called "Racial Profiling".

His Terror Campaign has not produced a viable result. It, in fact, produced an unacceptably high rate of errors.
Some Hispanics are white (Caucasian), some are not. "Tan" skin doesn't necessarily mean "non-Caucasian." Many Caucasian people have dark skin.

"White" people aren't really "white" any more than "black" people are really "black." Some skin tones might be close to white and black but most people are on a continuum of skin color in between.

There are many Hispanic or Latino people who call themselves white or Caucasian.

Well it's a big country. I haven't met any Hispanics in NM,AZ or TX that live in fear. There is really nothing to fear if they are here legally.

First, there is plenty to fear if you're being unjustly harassed by the police. Second, that's an insulting statement because it implies that if you don't want to be manhandled by the police that you have something you don't want them to know. I'm an upstanding law abiding citizen and I don't like it anymore than anyone else, doesn't make me a criminal.

They should move to another county if they are in fear. Sheriff Joe has done a great job of going after businesses which is something you have said you support in the past.

The examples you give are of overreaching Central Governments....that is something I want to avoid. The closer example would be the civil rights movement but that is still different because all of those people had a right to be here. The situation in AZ involves many people who do not have a right to be here and who burden those who do. The efforts necessary to extract that birder requires that we be willing to make temporary sacrifices. And, the most important part is that this is a problem because federal government has neglected their duties for many years.

Some Hispanics are white (Caucasian), some are not. "Tan" skin doesn't necessarily mean "non-Caucasian." Many Caucasian people have dark skin.

"White" people aren't really "white" any more than "black" people are really "black." Some skin tones might be close to white and black but most people are on a continuum of skin color in between.

There are many Hispanic or Latino people who call themselves white or Caucasian.

Exactly.

First, there is plenty to fear if you're being unjustly harassed by the police. Second, that's an insulting statement because it implies that if you don't want to be manhandled by the police that you have something you don't want them to know. I'm an upstanding law abiding citizen and I don't like it anymore than anyone else, doesn't make me a criminal.

"Questioning" is "manhandling" now? Drama much?

Not all police encounters are the same. I was pulled over in the down town where I lived once when I when I was younger. What went on the report and ticket was a light out but being led around forcefully by the arm and then my persons searched as well as my car WAS being manhandled. It was embarrassing and violating in front of the towns people I knew. All I was doing was driving through town. They just didn't like the way I looked.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

jonnyghost said:

Not all police encounters are the same. I was pulled over in the down town where I lived once when I when I was younger. What went on the report and ticket was a light out but being led around forcefully by the arm and then my persons searched as well as my car WAS being manhandled. It was embarrassing and violating in front of the towns people I knew. All I was doing was driving through town. They just didn't like the way I looked.

How did you look?

Wait, they searched your car without permission in front of witnesses.....and you didn't do anything wrong? Why didn't you sue?

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

How did you look?

Young and poor, because I was. I was breaking no laws, they where only harassing me in hopes that I would stay out of their town. It became a frequent occurrence. Being young and poor is no more reason to be harassed than what color your skin is.

I know better now. Unless they have reason to believe you've broken the law they cannot detain you. I refuse all searches and requests for identification unless required by law. I've had cops try to bully me into it but in the end they gave up.

Wait, they searched your car without permission in front of witnesses.....and you didn't do anything wrong? Why didn't you sue?

They asked. I didn't understand that no was an option. I was 16 and scared.

There ya go! You were not "manhandled"......you gave permission.

I was intimidated into giving permission. They where adults and I was a kid. They got upset and kept pushing until I let them. Now as an adult I would have just said no and let them get as mad as they want.

I was intimidated into giving permission. They where adults and I was a kid. They got upset and kept pushing until I let them. Now as an adult I would have just said no and let them get as mad as they want.

They wouldn't get mad....they would call in a dog.

If they intimidated you in front of witnesses, why didn't you sue?

They wouldn't get mad....they would call in a dog.

If they intimidated you in front of witnesses, why didn't you sue?

Ha! I have cops get mad all the time when they ask me questions and I refuse to give answers. I usually have them call the station where they are told to let me go. They did have a dog. I didn't sue because I was 16 and didn't know what they where doing was wrong. If they did that to me now you bet I'd sue. I'd probably have it on video :lol: but many people don't know any better and let the police push them around. I'm not saying all cops are that way I've had pleasant experiences too but if you don't believe that the police push people around then just take a look on youtube.

Ha! I have cops get mad all the time when they ask me questions and I refuse to give answers. I usually have them call the station where they are told to let me go. They did have a dog. I didn't sue because I was 16 and didn't know what they where doing was wrong. If they did that to me now you bet I'd sue. I'd probably have it on video :lol: but many people don't know any better and let the police push them around. I'm not saying all cops are that way I've had pleasant experiences too but if you don't believe that the police push people around then just take a look on youtube.

"All the time"??? Interesting

Yup, last time I was target shooting at my dads and the cops showed up. They said they got a report of someone shooting guns. I said that would be me. They asked if they could see the guns and I said no. They left with red faces fuming. I can keep going but I feel that we're getting off topic.

I like how you've judged me already though. I live in a town where the out of state yuppies don't like how the yokals live. They like to call the cops on us all the time and the cops love a chance to act all tough.

Yup, last time I was target shooting at my dads and the cops showed up. They said they got a report of someone shooting guns. I said that would be me. They asked if they could see the guns and I said no. They left with red faces fuming. I can keep going but I feel that we're getting off topic.

I like how you've judged me already though. I live in a town where the out of state yuppies don't like how the yokals live. They like to call the cops on us all the time and the cops love a chance to act all tough.

:hmm: Yes, it is probably best if we get back to the topic.

I feel that my second statement is on topic and not far off from what the latino people are experiencing. Even if to a milder degree. Getting pressured by the police because of what you look like isn't fun. Even if all they do is ask questions it's still intimidating and embarrassing. When people see you being questioned they assume you've done something wrong. The police try to be as persuasive as they can within their limits (and sometimes not) It's upsetting and generally ruins my day.

Back