Sheriff Arpaio Spanked

Sheriff Arpaio's version of "the best way to protect citizens of Arizona" is grossly misguided and racist because it's solely based on the color of skin.

I disagree.

I disagree.

that's ok and I could care less because the federal judge clearly saw it and spanked him. more and more federal rulings will fall in favor of the people. Apparently, Arpaio seems to forget that he is a sheriff with very specific and limited scope of duty.

that's ok and I could care less because the federal judge clearly saw it and spanked him. more and more federal rulings will fall in favor of the people. Apparently, Arpaio seems to forget that he is a sheriff with very specific and limited scope of duty.

The federal judge gave his interpretation of the law. It will be appealed. I happen to see this as a ruling against the people.

The federal judge gave his interpretation of the law. It will be appealed. I happen to see this as a ruling against the people.

the reason for this is because the people have filed complaints against him.

How is it against the people? They told him to stop targeting hispanic people. Yes from a numbers perspective it makes sense but from a moral perspective it's like stopping and harrasing white people because they might be kkk.

the reason for this is because the people have filed complaints against him.

Yes, I doubt that Joe Arpaio will survive the appeal and the federal judge takes constitution issue seriously.

There are law enforcement, jail and prison already got sued in federal court and they had to change after court order and settlement.

and the federal judge got involved and found that Arpaio has systematically targeted the non-Caucasian people in a racist manner called "Racial Profiling".

His Terror Campaign has not produced a viable result. It, in fact, produced an unacceptably high rate of errors.

and the federal judge got involved and found that Arpaio has systematically targeted the non-Caucasian people in a racist manner called "Racial Profiling".

His Terror Campaign has not produced a viable result. It, in fact, produced an unacceptably high rate of errors.

My concern about his terror campaign could make hispanic people more resentful to white people - racist, reversal discrimination. :(

Some white people complained that they are victim of racist and revenge from hispanic people who terrorized by LEO.

I am aware of what the Federal Judge said. But I believe a local official like Je is in a better position to know what it takes to protect Arizonans. I would expect a federal judge to disagree. This is a jurisdiction battle. Sadly this limits the protection granted to most of Maricopa County. Remember, the people of the county elected him. The people want Sheriff Joeto do this. Federal Judges are political appointees.

I am aware of what the Federal Judge said. But I believe a local official like Je is in a better position to know what it takes to protect Arizonans. I would expect a federal judge to disagree. This is a jurisdiction battle. Sadly this limits the protection granted to most of Maricopa County. Remember, the people of the county elected him. The people want Sheriff Joeto do this. Federal Judges are political appointees.

despite of high error rate?

I'm not aware of how high his error rate might be. But clearly the majority of the county is satisfied with the job he is doing.

these statistics are from several sources such as ACLU, civil lawsuits, federal investigation, etc.

According to the ACLU, one witness for the plaintiffs, Temple University researcher Ralph Taylor, found that officers were 46 to 53 percent more likely to stop Latinos during “crime suppression sweeps” ordered by Arpaio compared to regular operations. Traffic stops involving Latinos were also 21 to 25 percent longer than regular stops.

http://act.americasvoiceonline.org/page/-/resources/sheriffjoe.pdf
2,700 Lawsuits Filed Against Arpaio
Between 2004 and 2007, 2,700 lawsuits were filed against Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Federal and County Courts – 50 times the number of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston combined. [Phoenix New Times, 6/10/08 and 12/7/07]

Arpaio Prioritizes Immigrant Sweeps Over Serving Felony Arrest Warrants
During an interview by the Arizona Republic, the interviewer pointed out in a question, “You get criticized by local law-enforcement agencies for not serving felony arrest warrants, shirking that responsibility in favor of immigrant sweeps, which requires manpower and other resources. Mayor Phil Gordon says you have created a sanctuary county for felons‟ and that you have „40,000 felony warrants stacked on (your) desk.‟ Why not go after the „real‟ criminals and actively serve outstanding arrest warrants, which local agencies see as a county obligation and responsibility?‟” [Arizona Republic, 4/27/08]

Study Finds Arpaio Targets Latinos
The Arizona Republic examined Arpaio‟s arrest logs from eight of his notorious and high-profile sweeps. The study “showed that deputies arrested more Latinos than nonLatinos during each of the operations; that even when the patrols were held in mostly White areas, deputies arrested more Latinos than non-Latinos; and that deputies arrested Latinos in greater numbers than non-Latinos following minor traffic violations.” [Arizona Republic, 11/24/08]

Mesa Police Chief: Arpaio’s Approach Hurts Community Safety
Mesa Chief George Gascon thinks “a wedge is being driven between the local police and some immigrant groups. Some law enforcement agencies are wasting limited resources in operations to appease the public‟s thirst for action against illegal immigration regardless of the legal or social consequences… If we become a nation in which the local police are the default enforcers of a failing federal immigration policy, the years of trust that police departments have built up in immigrant communities will vanish.” [New York Times, 7/31/08]

Phoenix Mayor Asks US Department of Justice to Investigate Arpaio
The Mayor of Phoenix, Phil Gordon, “wrote a letter to U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey asking that the Justice Department's civil-rights division and the FBI investigate Arpaio's immigration crackdowns. He alleged that the sweeps included "a pattern and practice of conduct that includes discriminatory harassment, improper stops, searches and arrests.”” [Arizona Republic, 11/24/08]

Members of AZ Legislature Support Mayor’s Call For Federal Probe of Arpaio
According to the AP, some members of the Arizona Legislative Latino Caucus are supportive of “…Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon‟s call for a federal probe into…Arpaio's recent crime sweeps in Hispanic neighborhoods. Lawmakers [said] the sheriff's tactics are tantamount to racial-profiling and reflect poorly on all Arizonans, regardless of their ethnic heritage.” [AP, 4/18/08]

these statistics are from several sources such as ACLU, civil lawsuits, federal investigation, etc.

http://act.americasvoiceonline.org/page/-/resources/sheriffjoe.pdf

I read the trial. Taylor was the expert in the trial. He is a professor from Philadelphia. They rest of your post is opinion for other politicians. It's clear there are 2 very strong opinions on this. But I revert back to the fact that citizens continue to elect him. They choose him and his methods to protect them. It's my belief that people should be able to choose their protection and not have that decision made by a central government applying a one size fits all model. I'm sure Dr Taylor is a very educated and intelligent man, but I don't believe all of the books and stats in the world can prepare you as well as someone living the reality on a daily basis.

I read the trial. Taylor was the expert in the trial. He is a professor from Philadelphia. They rest of your post is opinion for other politicians. It's clear there are 2 very strong opinions on this. But I revert back to the fact that citizens continue to elect him. They choose him and his methods to protect them. It's my belief that people should be able to choose their protection and not have that decision made by a central government applying a one size fits all model. I'm sure Dr Taylor is a very educated and intelligent man, but I don't believe all of the books and stats in the world can prepare you as well as someone living the reality on a daily basis.

the reality on daily basis is that the minorities are living in fear and are mistreated and singled out solely based on the color of their skins.

there have been many times in history where citizens are known to support any illegal activity out of fear or frustration.

citizens voting for Hitler and singling out Jewish people. citizens supporting Japanese-American internment. citizens supporting torture and kidnapping of suspected terrorists (mostly Muslims).

the reality on daily basis is that the minorities are living in fear and are mistreated and singled out solely based on the color of their skins.

there have been many times in history where citizens are known to support any illegal activity out of fear or frustration.

citizens voting for Hitler and singling out Jewish people. citizens supporting Japanese-American internment. citizens supporting torture and kidnapping of suspected terrorists (mostly Muslims).

Well it's a big country. I haven't met any Hispanics in NM,AZ or TX that live in fear. There is really nothing to fear if they are here legally. They should move to another county if they are in fear. Sheriff Joe has done a great job of going after businesses which is something you have said you support in the past.

The examples you give are of overreaching Central Governments....that is something I want to avoid. The closer example would be the civil rights movement but that is still different because all of those people had a right to be here. The situation in AZ involves many people who do not have a right to be here and who burden those who do. The efforts necessary to extract that birder requires that we be willing to make temporary sacrifices. And, the most important part is that this is a problem because federal government has neglected their duties for many years.

My concern about his terror campaign could make hispanic people more resentful to white people - racist, reversal discrimination. :(

Some white people complained that they are victim of racist and revenge from hispanic people who terrorized by LEO.

are you denying your hispanic heritage somehow?

Well it's a big country. I haven't met any Hispanics in NM,AZ or TX that live in fear. There is really nothing to fear if they are here legally. They should move to another county if they are in fear. Sheriff Joe has done a great job of going after businesses which is something you have said you support in the past.
anybody who are in this country legally should never have to leave this country in fear. Sheriff Joe was not going after businesses... he was targeting any hispanic/Latinos he sees in public area.

The examples you give are of overreaching Central Governments....that is something I want to avoid.
very simple to avoid all this..... stop this illegal racial profiling and stop terrorizing minorities who are here legally.

Judge: Arpaio's agency engaged in racial profiling
Tourist detained
The case began when Manuel de Jesus Ortega Melendres, a Mexican tourist who was in the United States legally, was stopped outside a church in Cave Creek where day laborers were known to gather. Melendres, the passenger in a car driven by a white driver, claims that deputies detained him for nine hours and that the detention was unlawful.

Eventually, the case grew to include complaints from two Hispanic siblings from Chicago who felt they were profiled by sheriff's deputies, and from an assistant to former Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon whose Hispanic husband claims he was detained and cited while nearby white motorists were treated differently.

The closer example would be the civil rights movement but that is still different because all of those people had a right to be here.
along with Mesa Police Chief, Arizona legislator, Phoenix Mayor and thousands of immigrants and citizens who disagree with Sheriff Joe's method which is in fact illegal and racist. Just a matter of time till Arpaio gets arrested or gets stripped off his badge.

The situation in AZ involves many people who do not have a right to be here and who burden those who do. The efforts necessary to extract that birder requires that we be willing to make temporary sacrifices.
yes there are lot of people who are here illegally.... and there are lot of people who are here legally being targeted and detained illegally by Sheriff Joe.

And, the most important part is that this is a problem because federal government has neglected their duties for many years.
it's still illegal to take matters into your own hands.

anybody who are in this country legally should never have to leave this country in fear. Sheriff Joe was not going after businesses... he was targeting any hispanic/Latinos he sees in public area.

very simple to avoid all this..... stop this illegal racial profiling and stop terrorizing minorities who are here legally.

Judge: Arpaio's agency engaged in racial profiling

along with Mesa Police Chief, Arizona legislator, Phoenix Mayor and thousands of immigrants and citizens who disagree with Sheriff Joe's method which is in fact illegal and racist. Just a matter of time till Arpaio gets arrested or gets stripped off his badge.

yes there are lot of people who are here illegally.... and there are lot of people who are here legally being targeted and detained illegally by Sheriff Joe.

it's still illegal to take matters into your own hands.

Sheriff Joe is a law enforcement officer, it is his job to enforce law. :lol:

We disagree on both the application and the facts here....which is to be expected considering where we both live. The fact remains, the majority of the public trusts Joe to protect them. You support taking that protection away because you have read things in New Jersey.

My ex hubby who was born in Mexico got a gun pulled at him in AZ for driving a red sportscar. They asked him if it was his. He was frightened and furious for having to go through that experience for no reason. We were 17 years old at the time.

Back