Service dogs for CI users and deaf people

I respect everyone's point of view, and up the stakes to tell everyone that we don't need a dog because we are disabled. My reasoning: We are NOT disabled.

If you want to feel dependent on a dog to do your daily thing - fine by me. It's just a thing I wouldn't do. I've lived on my own the past 14 years and get this; I currently don't have any alerting devices or animals. I'm doing just fine.

I don't consider myself disabled, but the reality for me is I can't hear without my CI... And I'm fine with my condition of being deaf.

It's really great that you're an independent person and don't need any service dog or a visual alarm system and I respect you for that. Nobody's telling you to get a service dog. But there's no need to be offensive with each others comments...

Unfortunately, there's a LOT of disrespect on this forum. :(

OikQ2.gif

Frommer's Travel Guide. silly... service dog is not a travel agent.

Gregory Pack. silly... service dog is not a donkey.

Shopping Cart. silly... service dog is not a mule.

New Balance shoes. silly... service dog is not a running coach

O_O silly.... service dog can't talk. and they're allergic to dog.

Candles. silly... service dog is not an electrician.

:laugh2:

I don't consider myself disabled, but the reality for me is I can't hear without my CI... And I'm fine with my condition of being deaf.

It's really great that you're an independent person and don't need any service dog or a visual alarm system and I respect you for that. Nobody's telling you to get a service dog. But there's no need to be offensive with each others comments...

I am not being offensive. I think you've been missing my point. When I tell someone "You need a hearing dog to operate in life" that means I am signifying that the person I told that to is inferior to the society norms.

This has had nothing to do about you. I replied to Csign's post then had to reply to Rebas post. GrendelQ's post just further validates the society views on deafness. It sucks.

But to you, do what you want. Remember this though - I grew up with service dogs - and they are not meant to be companions.

(Before the forum noobs jump on me telling me wtf is up with the last sentence...... The service dogs I was talking about were never for me, or any deaf people.)

That's fine too. I don't see anyone trying to talk you into having a dog. No one should own any animal if they don't want one.

Um Why get a hearing dog? Not to threadshit, but I mean I've never really understood the point of a hearing assistance dog. It alerts you to sounds and stuff but so do hearing aids (they don't always)/CIs (don't know about those) and just using your vision (it's a lot of work and can stress you out).

While people tend to realize there are different levels of hearing loss (mild, moderate, severe, profound), I don't expect that everyone realize the effects that it has on some people. I expect I don't know everything about the effects of deafness on people. So here's my experience.

I grew up deaf :deaf: (although was labeled hearing impaired/hoh), was mainstreamed, and given HAs. I had my twin sister to help with things I missed (and I didn't realize how much until later :shock:). After college, I moved out on my own. I found out that I could understand someone to a degree in normal speech (with no to little noise) with the latest and greatest HAs. I could also hear some people on my cell phone due to its volume control (turned all the way up).

However, a lot of the time I still can't hear the phone ringing, people knocking on the door, my alarm clock, people trying to get my attention from behind me, and other alarms and bells and whistles (ie microwave beeping, kitchen time, etc). I missed phone calls from friends/family, missed visitors/other important guests, burned food, was late to work, annoyed the people trying to tell me something from behind, etc. :-o

I also cannot locate sounds that I do happen to hear (ie if my phone rings and I happen to hear it, but don't remember where I put it, I won't find it by sound). That started stressing me out, so I was using my vision as almost "double duty" (ie trying to look every at once to see if anything is making a noise that might be important) and that stressed me out more, felt like being on "high alert" every second of every day-I didn't want to miss out. :dunno:

So I rescued a young dog with a good temperment, found a local dog trainer with experience in training service dogs, and she instructed me in training my dog to alert me to sounds I don't hear (there's tricks to it). Compared with the several years between college and service dog, it has been a life-changer! :D

FriskyFeline - I'm looking for the "like" button for your picture. LOVE it!! (Is that your dog? Or just a random picture? Either way - definitely a good one!)

FriskyFeline - I'm looking for the "like" button for your picture. LOVE it!! (Is that your dog? Or just a random picture? Either way - definitely a good one!)

No. just a random picture. I agree this one is hilarious.

That's fine too. I don't see anyone trying to talk you into having a dog. No one should own any animal if they don't want one.

that's not what's going on here. it's about "NEEDING" one to function in hearing world or he'll feel helpless and also to feel safe and warm like a security blanket.

DeafRaptor, we should get together. Did you use a trainer in the NoVA area? We live near you in the winter (not right now; we're at the beach until late September). If it's a NoVA trainer, could you PM me the name? Thanks.

:confused: how does my post indicate anything about society's views on deafness? :laugh2: deafdyke suggested flashing lights and other technologies could serve all needs -- I gave some situations where someone might not have flashing lights and other alarms installed, but could use a service dog instead. Never told you that you need any of these: flashing lights, video phone or other tech or dog. No need to try to force a brawl.

that's not what's going on here. it's about "NEEDING" one to function in hearing world and also to feel safe and warm like a security blanket.

And the problem with that would be....??? What's wrong with feeling safe and warm, and curling up with a furry canine companion?

I guess I NEED a dog just because I can't imagine my life without one. (Um, or two....) Really has nothing to do with hearing or deaf; I grew up with dogs, have owned them all my life, and fairly recently have gotten into doing more organized training with them, with obedience and agility.

Life is better with dogs. For me. Period, the end.

If you think otherwise, well, God bless you and keep you. You won't convince the dog-lovers that they're the ones with a problem!

Some deaf people actually prefer hearing spouses for that same reason. I find it quite disheartening when I hear that. A person should not have to depend on animal nor person or he'll feel very helpless and insecure.

Some deaf people actually prefer hearing spouses for that same reason. I find it quite disheartening when I hear that. A person should not have to depend on animal nor person or he'll feel very helpless and insecure.

How much more clear can you be?

And the problem with that would be....??? What's wrong with feeling safe and warm, and curling up with a furry canine companion?

I guess I NEED a dog just because I can't imagine my life without one. (Um, or two....) Really has nothing to do with hearing or deaf; I grew up with dogs, have owned them all my life, and fairly recently have gotten into doing more organized training with them, with obedience and agility.

Life is better with dogs. For me. Period, the end.

If you think otherwise, well, God bless you and keep you. You won't convince the dog-lovers that they're the ones with a problem!

again... service dog is not for companionship.

Yes I'm aware of other type of service dog certified for emotional support but this thread is about service dog for deaf people.

btw - I'm a dog lover too. and I used to rehabilitate abused dogs at shelter. I rehabilitate dog owners too.

Anyone in a close relationship (marriage or living together) comes to depend on that other person. That's part of what marriage is about. I depend on my husband for lots of things; he depends on me for lots of things (good back-rubs, for instance). :lol:

It has nothing to do with feeling "helpless and insecure." Doesn't have anything to do with being hearing or deaf. It's about loving the person you're with and gradually, automatically, coming to depend on each other more and more.

If I couldn't depend on him in many, many ways, why would I want to be married to him? It all comes with the commitment.

I am not being offensive. I think you've been missing my point. When I tell someone "You need a hearing dog to operate in life" that means I am signifying that the person I told that to is inferior to the society norms.

This has had nothing to do about you. I replied to Csign's post then had to reply to Rebas post. GrendelQ's post just further validates the society views on deafness. It sucks.

But to you, do what you want. Remember this though - I grew up with service dogs - and they are not meant to be companions.

(Before the forum noobs jump on me telling me wtf is up with the last sentence...... The service dogs I was talking about were never for me, or any deaf people.)

I understand were you coming from, ok? But I assure you there are people who has hearing dogs and don't feel inferior at all. For me, it's a state of mind.

For example I'm deaf and my husband is in a wheelchair; he was shot in an attempt of robbery and that circumstance let him paraplegic he never felt inferior to be in a wheelchair and to ask for help when he needed to. He once consider to have a service dog but no because he felt less value than a walking person, he thought it was a help for him 24/7 when he couldn't reach things... Then, he dropped that idea and now with physical therapy and a lots of love he don't even depend on anyone to reach things, to drive, to work... My question is, if he had decided to get a service dog is he inferior? There's nothing wrong to ask for help or to have a something or someone who makes your life easier...

I understand were you coming from, ok? But I assure you there are people who has hearing dogs and don't feel inferior at all. For me, it's a state of mind.

For example I'm deaf and my husband is in a wheelchair; he was shot in an attempt of robbery and that circumstance let him paraplegic he never felt inferior to be in a wheelchair and to ask for help when he needed to. He once consider to have a service dog but no because he felt less value than a walking person, he thought it was a help for him 24/7 when he couldn't reach things... Then, he dropped that idea and now with physical therapy and a lots of love he don't even depend on anyone to reach things, to drive, to work... My question is, if he had decided to get a service dog is he inferior? There's nothing wrong to ask for help or to have a something or someone who makes your life easier...
Totally different situation. The service dog I see often is a guide dog for the blind. I totally understand.

But for the deaf......... cmon. Seriously, come on. Thats my opinion. I just don't see how much a service dog will benefit me in the real world. The only way would be alerting me to a doorbell, but any conventional dog would do that task just peachy.

Anyone in a close relationship (marriage or living together) comes to depend on that other person. That's part of what marriage is about. I depend on my husband for lots of things; he depends on me for lots of things (good back-rubs, for instance). :lol:

It has nothing to do with feeling "helpless and insecure." Doesn't have anything to do with being hearing or deaf. It's about loving the person you're with and gradually, automatically, coming to depend on each other more and more.

If I couldn't depend on him in many, many ways, why would I want to be married to him? It all comes with the commitment.

I'm so agree with you! see my post #79

Back