Service dogs for CI users and deaf people

Um Why get a hearing dog? Not to threadshit, but I mean I've never really understood the point of a hearing assistance dog. It alerts you to sounds and stuff but so do hearing aids/CIs and just using your vision.

But sometimes the hearings aids/CIs are not enough in noisy environments, I get lost in those situations and it's more difficult for people who only has one hearing device...

I have met a deaf person who has a Cochlear Implant and uses a Hearing Dog. This was 4 years ago-Sunnybrook/Toronto. Originally when I met her- I assumed she was Blind. She wasn't. Seems they are the only people that I have have seen using she is not Blind.-dogs. Still uses the dog as of a couple of years ago. ( Recent patients meeting there)

Thinking about whether I should consider a hearing dog decided not very useful to ME.

Yeah I go swimming almost every day-would a dog be of much value-I don't think so.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I like your point of view! I think having a service dog depends on the person who wants to apply or no to get one...

Not sure why deaf/Deaf/DEAF person would want to walk around "blind" as suggested by pfh. Does he actually "follow" his own advice? Another "ear in cheek" thought?
Right-this is a computer screen- reality does't count!

As a bilateral DEAF person, I don't walk around with my eyes closed. No my cat isn't a "trained Hearing" Cat. Too much of a slacker!

Jules: I understand there are only 2 people with Cochlear Implants that use Hearing dogs here in Toronto from info Sunnybrook.
Neither of them are Blind..

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
My dogs are not officially trained hearing dogs, but they alert me when someone comes to the door, for instance. I'm trying to train Casey (being the smarter of the two) to alert me when the oven timer beeps, but so far, not too succesful with this.

I feel more secure, generally, having a dog around, but that's just because I like dogs.

My dog is not trained also to be a service dog, he helps me when I'm home alone and I'm not wearing my CI. I feel secure with him because he point to me where the sound is coming from... And he also knows the difference between doorbell, phone ringing, house alarm, etc.... I reward him every time he does what I mentioned before.

I don't need a hearing dog. However I don't mind making dog to become a hearing dog so i can take him to get on airplane without a hassle. :D That is only I can think of. :hmm:

I really dont need a hearing dog. I am satisfied the way my life goes.

Is it possible to have CI for a dog if they lose their hearing?? That is a very important question :)

So far I haven't never heard of dogs/cats any animal being considered for a Cochlear Implant. Are animals "cochlea" similar to humans? Who exactly would pay the operation?Seems to be hard to Map animals- to say the least.

Just checked with my cat-Prof SKY re Implants- just continued sleeping! Enthusiastic?

So far I haven't never heard of dogs/cats any animal being considered for a Cochlear Implant. Are animals "cochlea" similar to humans? Who exactly would pay the operation?Seems to be hard to Map animals- to say the least.

Just checked with my cat-Prof SKY re Implants- just continued sleeping! Enthusiastic?

The thread is not about CIs for animals, it's about CI users who has service dogs

Um Why get a hearing dog? Not to threadshit, but I mean I've never really understood the point of a hearing assistance dog. It alerts you to sounds and stuff but so do hearing aids/CIs and just using your vision.

I did not know you could see behind your head! I had posted a few time the main reason I got a hearing dog was to keep jerks from ramming their shopping carts into me when I did not hear them trying to pass me! I am not sure if you know what it feel like to have a 300 lbs woman ram a her shopping cart into your back! I was ready to fight the bitch! She could had gone around me if I did not hear her.

Give him a reward of food from the oven if he alerts you to the timer. I have great alerts for food being cooked. :P

For the washer or dryer, it could just sit there all day. Dogs have very little interest in clean clothes!

I love that idea! I'll give that one a try. My obedience and agility instructor has posted a lot of yummy dog treats (that really smell up the house!) that are baked. I'll try making them and giving him a treat for the timer.

Then I'll teach him to bark "thanks, Bott!" :wave:

Give him a reward of food from the oven if he alerts you to the timer. I have great alerts for food being cooked. :P

For the washer or dryer, it could just sit there all day. Dogs have very little interest in clean clothes!

Marty lies down right on top the stove when I cooking! I think he is hoping I will drop some food!

I wouldn't mind having a hearing dog... my lab (RIP) use to alert me to sounds, like someone nocking on my door, my nephew crying, people saying my name when my back was turned, and other things. I didn't train her, she just instinctively knew what to do. I have only met one other animal, who I wanted to take home but couldn't, who would do the same thing for me... he would nudge me when the bell at work went off or if someone walked in without it going off. His current owner said I could have him, but I can only have two animals at my apartment complex. I watch him on a regular basis, and love him to pieces... I would love to have another dog that would do those things for me, because it would give me a lot more confidence walking around on my own.

Also when I was younger my family wouldn't let there be any sign that I couldn't hear in the house... no flashing lights, nothing... and living in an apartment complex, the only "accommodation" that I have right now is a smoke detector that flashes... without my HA's on (which is most of the time at home) I have no clue if someone is at the door or anything... unless my SO is home.

^^ this kind of comment combined with the context being discussed is displaying that the deaf are inferior. And we all know what that is called in one word.

:bsflag: Don't act like such a big baby and stop trolling the thread.

Back