Service dogs for CI users and deaf people

I wouldn't personally get a service dog, since I have an implant. For at night, I would use my eyes and alerting systems, there's no reason why you can't apart from if you're blind or totally deaf throughout the day

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
Some deaf people actually prefer hearing spouses for that same reason. I find it quite disheartening when I hear that. A person should not have to depend on animal nor person or he'll feel very helpless and insecure.

How much more clear can you be?

Agree

Wirelessly posted

Jiro said:
Some deaf people actually prefer hearing spouses for that same reason. I find it quite disheartening when I hear that. A person should not have to depend on animal nor person or he'll feel very helpless and insecure.

So true

Wirelessly posted

Beach girl said:

Anyone in a close relationship (marriage or living together) comes to depend on that other person. That's part of what marriage is about. I depend on my husband for lots of things; he depends on me for lots of things (good back-rubs, for instance). :lol:

It has nothing to do with feeling "helpless and insecure." Doesn't have anything to do with being hearing or deaf. It's about loving the person you're with and gradually, automatically, coming to depend on each other more and more.

If I couldn't depend on him in many, many ways, why would I want to be married to him? It all comes with the commitment.

That is not the kind of dependancy Jiro and PFH are talking about and you know it.

Totally different situation. The service dog I see often is a guide dog for the blind. I totally understand.

But for the deaf......... cmon. Seriously, come on. Thats my opinion. I just don't see how much a service dog will benefit me in the real world. The only way would be alerting me to a doorbell, but any conventional dog would do that task just peachy.

My cat certainly does! I never trained her to but she always alerts me when someone rings the doorbell. I don't personally feel a need for a service pet but it's cool having a pet who is intelligent enough to figure out that you're deaf and would headbutt you instead of meowing to get your attention. I love it.

I have never met anyone in the Deaf community needing a service dog. Maybe it is those who are not culturally Deaf who get service dogs?

I wish I had a hearing dog the time I was got jumped from behind by 2 men!
If I had hearing dog I would know I was being followed! When I lived in Boston
I was walking home at night and I was warned by a person that a guy was following me! I live in a condo and no pets are allowed but I can have a hearing
dog!

I do not know much about service animals, but I know that when you meet one, you are not supposed to pet it.

I was actually volunteering for A Forever Home Rescue in Fairfax County, Virginia. One weekend, they handed me Leah and I heard about her story and told to look after her, let people see her, and help answer people's questions about adopting. She had been found at a pound and she was pregnant, severly underweight, had mange, had fleas, etc. The rescue took her in, nursed her back to health, and her pups were adopted out when they were old enough. Although uncomfortable about other dogs (she was apparently attacked by other dogs in her past and abused by her master, unfortunately, she is still/again uncomfortable around some dogs as she was attacked again this summer), but she seemed to like me right away. While walking her, I started to have some problems with my balance. I usually just sit down on the floor or some ledge, but it came on suddenly, faster than normal. Before I knew it she was bracing for me. I was able to lower myself to the ground to let it pass, and she started to stand by me for support and protect me from injury from passerbys (this was at a petstore on the weekend with lots of customers). She also gave me a few kisses for added measure. I had previously thought about getting a service dog, but not about training my own. After I met Leah, I realized she would be perfect and decided to adopt her, give a good home, a nice job, and lots of love.

I got my dog Pippin from "A Forever Home," too. We've had him for four years now. I can't believe it's been that long. He's getting elderly now, as he was probably about 6 years old when we got him.

I do not know much about service animals, but I know that when you meet one, you are not supposed to pet it.

True that. I've worked with a couple of blind students that had service dogs. The dog is an extension of the person. No more than you would pet the person's arm should you pet the dog.

I have also recommended "companion animals" for many people with mental illness, and written numerous letters to get pet deposits or restrictions lifted so the individual could fulfill this part of their treatment. However, a companion animal is not a service animal, or vice versa. Just because they improve the individual's functioning and are an intrinsic part of treatment and contribute to well being of the individual does not make them a service animal.

I have never met anyone in the Deaf community needing a service dog. Maybe it is those who are not culturally Deaf who get service dogs?

I have. One lady who attended to Gallaudet. This lady seems to me that she is not culturally Deaf. Also, I think she isn't a dog lover that she didn't treat the black poodle right. I REALLY WISH I COULD WALKED TO HER AND TELL HER " go easy on dog". But I didn't :(

I really enjoyed the time I spent as a volunteer working with mobility service dogs. I felt happy to be doing something that could help both the dog and the potential recipient. It also incidentally gave me some tools and behaviors I could use with my own dogs. I've taught all my guys to open and close doors, get stuff off the floor and find things for me.

My experience was that mos general public had much more of an idea about guide dogs and pretty much ignored them; the signal alert, mobility and cross-trained dogs were much more likely to be approached by public. We didn't have any seizure alert dogs in the program.

Dogs for therapy programs and emotional needs only < as opposed to cross-trained-mobility/PTSD dogs for veterans> are not same for access purposes and do not have the same implications.

My cat certainly does! I never trained her to but she always alerts me when someone rings the doorbell. I don't personally feel a need for a service pet but it's cool having a pet who is intelligent enough to figure out that you're deaf and would headbutt you instead of meowing to get your attention. I love it.

My cat would run to the door every time he heard someone approaching. I remember surprising my landlord once by opening the door before she had a chance to knock. I told her my cat told me she was coming. :giggle:

My cat would run to the door every time he heard someone approaching. I remember surprising my landlord once by opening the door before she had a chance to knock. I told her my cat told me she was coming. :giggle:
Cats & dogs even know the sound of your car and will be waiting by the door or looking out the window before you even pull in the driveway.

my hubby has told me that when I'm out doing errands and he has the adult Rottie sitting with him on the couch sometimes - that there's a certain point where she especially and the dogs in general will become very alert, go to door, start look as though they're expecting or hearing something - and it always corresponds to whenever I've left from a certain location to head back home.

Cats & dogs even know the sound of your car and will be waiting by the door or looking out the window before you even pull in the driveway.

I remember my first cat running after my parent's car every time we came back home from an errand.

I want my cats to do this... it would make things easier... I want a hearing cat... :giggle:

True that. I've worked with a couple of blind students that had service dogs. The dog is an extension of the person. No more than you would pet the person's arm should you pet the dog.

I have also recommended "companion animals" for many people with mental illness, and written numerous letters to get pet deposits or restrictions lifted so the individual could fulfill this part of their treatment. However, a companion animal is not a service animal, or vice versa. Just because they improve the individual's functioning and are an intrinsic part of treatment and contribute to well being of the individual does not make them a service animal.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I imagined someone coming over to me and start petting my arm while ignoring Leah. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I've had people come over and tell me that they know they are not supposed to pet a service dog and then they start PETTING Leah. I've also had people come over and start TALKING to Leah saying that they know they are not supposed to talk to a service dog. I've even had people start FEEDING my dog and when I turn around to see why Leah is misbehaving I see them and they tell me that they know they are not supposed to feed a service dog. (Leah has a very sensitive stomach, cannot eat many foods although she will eat anything given her, and is on a special diet.) :mad: ARGH!

I really enjoyed the time I spent as a volunteer working with mobility service dogs. I felt happy to be doing something that could help both the dog and the potential recipient. It also incidentally gave me some tools and behaviors I could use with my own dogs. I've taught all my guys to open and close doors, get stuff off the floor and find things for me.

My experience was that mos general public had much more of an idea about guide dogs and pretty much ignored them; the signal alert, mobility and cross-trained dogs were much more likely to be approached by public. We didn't have any seizure alert dogs in the program.

Dogs for therapy programs and emotional needs only < as opposed to cross-trained-mobility/PTSD dogs for veterans> are not same for access purposes and do not have the same implications.

:ty: Thank you. Exactly what I was trying to say!:lol:

Back