See this. It s a perfect example!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are these urls and this topic that is the point of view in the whole meanings that my Deaf eyes tells me that affects me badly. So why would you want to change any children for who they are from day one? Thats the whole point of Deaf children of the Deaf community in the Mother Nature world that sets us a real freedom of being ourselves and have a very good real communication. Thats Deaf children s rights that hasnt occurs in today as I feel it s time for someone to step their feet and being very outspoken very straightforwardly. So that's how I am an very obversant person that has a very valuable intellectual skills and positive attitude as I strongly believe that should be useful for a Deaf child. That s that!

That s the answer why hasnt it solve the problem that is a very harmful for Deaf children s boundaries to make their excuses that Deaf children can't do it without devices since Audism took over Laurent Clerc who was the first Deaf teacher at American School for the Deaf ( very good term to have the positive name of the school that Deaf children go to). So they can have their rights to feel/see their own senses of being deafness very good feeling about themselves as it should be done from day one. For petes sake! Deaf children can learn without devices that doesnt have to have a requirement law for each Deaf child as they are trying to do it nowadays that is a big MONSTER who is coming into our Deaf Community? That makes me sick to my stomach that makes me puke so much.

Thomas Gallaudet had a big faith in this Deaf man Laurent Clerc made a difference for all Deaf children after he got slapped his face by Oral Method Educators for saying it wrong . So he taught ASL in the classroom however he did used Signed English as well as it s BI BI languaages because he realized many of us do not understand the concept of English written in English rules. So ASL helps Deaf children a lot more than you think. That is that. ;) Thats why I thanked him for what A Deaf Teacher did for our Deaf children of the Deaf community in Mother Nature world that is his own visions. I am with him all the way no matter what u tried so hard to stop me from saying it.

That s what Deaf Literacy means something good for me and Deaf children that I care about very much. Thanks! ;)

Hugz,
Sweetmind

I agree about ASL helping deaf/hh children a lot more than people think. Even at the age of 28, when I became fluent in ASL, my writing skills improved. Maybe it was cuz I was able to internalize a language for the first time in my life. It just seemed like what I wrote made a lot more sense than it did in the past when I was just trying to make sure my sentences and paragraphs matched.

:)

I know very well what an idiom is, thank you. And that particular idiom has strong audist origins. Ever see a deaf person sign, "I'm all ears" to say that they are ready to receive information? An audist attidue shows up in very subltle ways....this particular idiom is one of them.

We all sign "We are all eyes" at my work or at Deaf socials. Sometimes some Deafies become sarcastic and sign "I am all ears." to be silly. The point is many Deaf people understand that idiom but chose not to use it cuz it doesnt really apply to many of us if our ears are "broken".:giggle:

Sometimes I say "I heard that this or that happened..." Just a bad habit from growing up in the hearing world. LOL!

Ooops, I need to add "deaf" to parents in my qtn.

SM, if you understood it, you would understand that it is strange that if they let hearing parents, why don't they allow deaf parents to do the same? There are many deaf parents who would probably do this even if you wouldn't. And politically/legally, that will never fly.

As for the sum total of your very narrow position, you don't make allowances for many possibilities because the deaf world is very diverse and many of those people have made life choices (that you do not agree with) of their own volition and there's nothing you nor I can do about that. THEN, there's the parents, who come in all shapes and sizes regarding what they think is best for their child and there's nothing you nor I can do there, either.

You can get busy with your own activism in real life and try to push your agenda but if you do it the same way you do it here, the powers (the deaf leaders) that be would not come near you. This activism can take place on many fronts, too many to waste my time here but you know what I mean. But you cannot do it in the same way you do it here on the boards.

THEN, there's the educational philosophy and that is another huge arena to pitch a battle, too. Dealing with politicians and on down to the "educational professionals" who are very powerful is a seemingly daunting task because we can't seem to grasp the power needed to correct many, many wrongs.

Gotta go.....

I had a dream a few years ago...recurring dream. I stood in a bar..it was very noisy. My wife was at the bar ordering drinks, she turned to me and communicated in perfect sign "What do you want to drink?" I responded "The usual please...Pint of Stella?"
Then everything froze..It went really quiet..I realised people had stopped and were watching our conversation. Then they started to copy our conversation, then people came up and asked "What does this sign mean?" Soon the whole bar was "Signing" and what was weird was the "White noise- Tinnitus" in my head was gone...It was beautiful deafening silence!
That was my dream... Maybe one day the Hearing World will watch us, copy us, embrace us who knows Love us for what we are. That was my dream...

Well point taken! That's a very postiive reinforcement for Deaf children who will read it when they get a chance. ;)

Ooops, I need to add "deaf" to parents in my qtn.

SM, if you understood it, you would understand that it is strange that if they let hearing parents, why don't they allow deaf parents to do the same? There are many deaf parents who would probably do this even if you wouldn't. And politically/legally, that will never fly.

As for the sum total of your very narrow position, you don't make allowances for many possibilities because the deaf world is very diverse and many of those people have made life choices (that you do not agree with) of their own volition and there's nothing you nor I can do about that. THEN, there's the parents, who come in all shapes and sizes regarding what they think is best for their child and there's nothing you nor I can do there, either.

You can get busy with your own activism in real life and try to push your agenda but if you do it the same way you do it here, the powers (the deaf leaders) that be would not come near you. This activism can take place on many fronts, too many to waste my time here but you know what I mean. But you cannot do it in the same way you do it here on the boards.

THEN, there's the educational philosophy and that is another huge arena to pitch a battle, too. Dealing with politicians and on down to the "educational professionals" who are very powerful is a seemingly daunting task because we can't seem to grasp the power needed to correct many, many wrongs.

Gotta go.....

So why would you want to change any children for who they are from day one? Thats the whole point of Deaf children of the Deaf community in the Mother Nature world that sets us a real freedom of being ourselves and have a very good real communication.

It doesnt matter Deaf or Hearing children and Deaf or Hearing parents if it s okay with you. Thanks! ;)

Shel is extremely well informed regarding all of the implications regarding CI, and not simply the variables affecting level of hearing provided by the devise. You are concentrating on one aspect only; shel ont he other hand has a more holistic approach in her understanding. Not, does she make decisions regarding the implant decision. She has a personal opinion based on the audiological, sociological, linguistic, and educational implications of implantation. You would do well to avail yourself of her extensive knowledge in order to become more well informed yourself.

Based on the last bolded statement, your reasoning would lead to not implanting a child at a later point even though they could be provided some auditory gain. Ot what about the many, many deaf adults who have been implanted well past childhood from a developmental and chronological base? Should we refuse to implant them, as well? They do not have the opportunity to gain as much froma CI regarding the acquisistion of langauge as does a baby. Should the fact that they will not achieve linguistic gains, but could possible achieve a great degree of auditory gain be used as a reason to deny impantation? The fact of the matter is, CI is a devise used to enhance auditory function period. And CI alone has failed to improve the educational functioning and the liguistic functioning of untold numbers of deaf children. You must look at all of the issues. And for those children who have not been able to function on an oral basis, despite their CIs, what is it that you would propose we do with them?

:ty:

So why would you want to change any children for who they are from day one? Thats the whole point of Deaf children of the Deaf community in the Mother Nature world that sets us a real freedom of being ourselves and have a very good real communication.

It doesnt matter Deaf or Hearing children if it s okay with you. Thanks! ;)

Why do you say "you" to me; I never said that. This is why progress with you is sooooo slow. Ever wonder about that? I am reminded why I haven't bothered for a few years; yet here I am again. Sheesh, Tousi, whatsammatta wid youse!? Lol....

We all sign "We are all eyes" at my work or at Deaf socials. Sometimes some Deafies become sarcastic and sign "I am all ears." to be silly. The point is many Deaf people understand that idiom but chose not to use it cuz it doesnt really apply to many of us if our ears are "broken".:giggle:

Sometimes I say "I heard that this or that happened..." Just a bad habit from growing up in the hearing world. LOL!

YEP! Thats how Deafies and Hearies with positive attitude are picking each other for fun pleasure that is a good thing too. NO biggie!

Why do you say "you" to me; I never said that. This is why progress with you is sooooo slow. Ever wonder about that? I am reminded why I haven't bothered for a few years; yet here I am again. Sheesh, Tousi, whatsammatta wid youse!? Lol....

I am not changing my mind at all.. It s all about "YOU" as each invdividual who wouldn't even thinking that is what you think. I dont know why are you so upsetting. It s not directly to you but for everybody who read and think about it for a while. Ask yourself!. That is there is to it. ;)

I am not changing my mind at all.. It s all about "YOU" as each invdividual who would even thinking that is what you think. I dont know why are you so upsetting. It s not directly to you but for everybody who read and think about it for a while. Ask yourself!. That is there is to it. ;)

Oh I got it...u mean "you" as in general to apply to anyone who is reading it?

Oh I got it...u mean "you" as in general to apply to anyone who is reading it?

Yes, Shel, that's what she means but she forgets that it's my question/comments. Very inflexible.

Yes, Shel, that's what she means but she forgets that it's my question/comments. Very inflexible.

Yea, I just figured that out after I posted my last comment. At first I did think she was pointing fingers at u only. :dunno:

You created a very good thread here, Sweetmind!!!! :ty: You share your feeling and heart for children which is wonderful.

Shel90 and Jillo made an excellent points here... I am with them in their most posts.

I just want you to know that I didnt forget your comments. Thank you for the compilment and your support for Deaf children.

UNCLE SAM wants Y O U! So are you telling me I m wrong? sighs! I dont know why cant I make a question for everyone or YOU to read? Mind you! For heaven 's sake!

Sweetmind, the problem is, when a generic advertisement targets the general public (like the Uncle Sam one,) people aren't writing back. Your use of "YOU" to mean everybody just causes a boatload of confusion on message boards because one never knows if the "YOU" means a specific person you are replying to, or the general audience reading the post. Quite often you will address several people within the body of one post, so using "YOU" in a general manner can really muck things up!

sweetmind, am I audist because of supporting CIs ? :hmm:

sweetmind, am I audist because of supporting CIs ? :hmm:

YES it s to me because someone with their attitude to look down themselves and on Deaf children s Rights and Natural Abilities / Adaptation that shouldnt be destroy from a start. It is the greatest tools for Deaf babies/children that comes first. Deaf will be always deaf, SO be it! I do not support CI because Audism wants to set up the law to require all Deaf children to have CI that is my big concerns to have more damage on those Deaf children s emotional and mentality abuses. I DONT AGREE WITH IT.

It gives me a goose bump as I can feel it. That is a very bothersome. Deaf children cant do anything but it must have a HEAR and SPEAK to think about from a start that turns me off. Thats their audist attitude as well.

Like I said again, Latened (d) who was a former hearing that can have their own choice to make because they were hearing all those years. Then I can understand it very well. NO biggie! It s a big risk to decide to do this or not for them.

Other hands, I have some friends who have CI that is their choice since they are an adults.. It is to me that it s a big mistake to make. That is there is to it.

;)
Sweetmind

I disagree with you. a CI cannot 'damage' or 'destroy' Deaf culture.. a person with a CI is still deaf and can be Deaf,as welll..

I don't think I am an audist.. I never put down signing or Deaf culture but I believe a person can have both culture..

Refusing CIs or Has doesn't solve problems.. just makes it worse :ugh3:

In most circumstances, I would tend to agree with you on your view of bilingualism. However, in the situation f a deaf individual, they are often, even with the use of a devise, to gain use of a language in its oral or spoken form based on impairment in their ability to process auditory stimuli. Int hat situation, not being able to speak the langauge has nothing to do with knowledge of that langauge, but with physical inability to use that language in one of its forms.

Agreed.

Does that mean that one who is unable for physiological reasons, to use a langauge in its oral auditory form, but is fluent in the written form any less bilingual?

I would say that they were as bilingual as they could be given the physiological limitations. However, it can't be denied that practical access to the other culture and other language on an interpersonal level is somewhat more limited as a result, since that mode of expression is used so heavily in the English culture.

I am on board with you when you say that devices may not benefit a deaf person and in this sense, bilingualism only in the form of sign and fluent written English is a good outcome for such a person.

However, I'm speaking more about the angle of a person who does not believe in the use of devices for any deaf child at all, even if they would benefit well from devices. I've personally really appreciated the flexibility of being able to express myself in different forms and I believe that all deaf children should have the opportunity to develop that skill in a natural and unpressured way if physiologically possible, with of course no compromise to their literacy.

I disagree with you. a CI cannot 'damage' or 'destroy' Deaf culture.. a person with a CI is still deaf and can be Deaf,as welll..

I don't think I am an audist.. I never put down signing or Deaf culture but I believe a person can have both culture..

Refusing CIs or Has doesn't solve problems.. just makes it worse :ugh3:

I DISAGREE with you because Hearing aid and Cochlear Implant devices are the same behavior that is no solution. Thats how I see it that needs to be stopped destroy human beings.

CI is not making your life easier with their ATTITUDE as well.

Even though, Govt is willing to pay all Deaf children while the parents have the right to use Deaf child s social security income to pay CI.. OH please! That is a abuse. Look out there there are many people who doesnt have any health insurance to take care of their health so what s your point? Thats horrible to keep people having those pains with their cancer or any serious health while DEAFNESS is not A DISEASE. PERIOD!

Wasting all money that failed many Deaf children with CI that makes me sick. All money goes to DEAF EDUCATION not CI itself.

THOSE JUNKY DEVICES like HA , CI , I pod , and many other models that can damage your ears. So what s the point to have more damage more than ever?

I find this is very very outrageous to force and conform those Deaf children s Natural Abilities and Adaptation after all PEOPLE do not accept you from day one..

I feel like I am screaming it aloud..:pissed: TOO MUCH MIXED MESSAGES going on in this hearing world. and man-made world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back